DTS HDMA or Dolby Digital True HD?

What do you prefer

• Total voters
Not that they make much difference, but I do note that movies with DTS HD MA seem to have a richer more rockin' audio track

Not that they make much difference, but I do note that movies with DTS HD MA seem to have a richer more rockin' audio track

Yup, I agree. Been saying for a while that DTS HD and PCM seem "fuller", and the imaging seems more transparent - really filling the room instead of being able to pinpoint each speaker.

Plus, when I didn't have a lossless receiver I used to love that I could get the 1.5 DTS core - sounded SO MUCH better then the regular Dolby 5.1 on Blu-rays.

Took me a while, but I kept noticing that Fox discs sounds quite awesome and Disney discs with PCM and DTS HD sounded friggin' amazing. Tru HD seemed hit or miss with mostly misses. Just didn't have that extra little bit of "oomph"!

Perhaps it is just perception, etc. but it was a while before I realized that all the consistently awesome sounding movies where coming from the same studios.

I can pick MANY discs I would use as a demo disc with DTS HD or PCM, and only a couple with True HD.

I always get a just a little bit bummed out when I realize a movie I like is from Paramount or Warner cause it means I'll be getting a True HD mix. It will still sound good, but I'll always wonder if it could have been just a "tad bit" better.

Now, if we can just get all studios to start mixing for 7.1 :scat:

Reactions: Blu-devil
This is a no-brainer. The best part of my home theatre is my speakers, and I can DEFINITELY tell a difference between the two. I think "Close Encounters" has both, so that'd be the best way to test it out. Besides, I think Dolby has that "Normalizer" option on it, or something like that. Glad to see most studios are switching to DTS on Blu.

Just did the "Pepsi Challenge" between Iron Man (Dolby True HD) and Iron Man 2 (dts HDMA) and there is a CLEAR and obvious difference between the two. I always felt slightly underwhelmed by the battle scenes in IM but not so IM2. I was blown away by the bass and tonality of dts HDMA.

Saying that, I watched The Dark Knight on Sunday night and I was blown away by the audio. It felt like I was listening to dts HDMA. I put this down to my new receiver. (Onkyo HT-RC180).

Last edited:
Dts- hd master forever.
The difference is too much evidence in little home theatre prix , in great sistem expansive is another planet.: Roccia:

Just did the "Pepsi Challenge" between Iron Man (Dolby True HD) and Iron Man 2 (dts HDMA) and there is a CLEAR and obvious difference between the two. I always felt slightly underwhelmed by the battle scenes in IM but not so IM2. I was blown away by the bass and tonality of dts HDMA.

Saying that, I watched The Dark Knight on Sunday night and I was blown away by the audio. It felt like I was listening to dts HDMA. I put this down to my new receiver. (Onkyo HT-RC180).

You can't really compare the two codecs using two different films though

Regarding the codecs, it really down to how it was mixed to be honest

Reactions: lgans316