Duel (1971) (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Japanese Artwork Series #2) (HMV Exclusive) [UK]

Miffed

Ginger Ninja
Premium Supporter
Jun 5, 2013
Guildford, England
Release date: October 5, 2020
Purchase link: HMV
Price: £14.99
Note: Limited to 1200 copies.
Showcasing original Japanese theatrical artwork, this essential collection perfectly blends the exuberant style of the Far East with the iconic art of Hollywood. Each release comes with a replica ‘chirashi’ mini-poster as would have been used to promote the film in Japanese cinemas, alongside the original English Language disc content.

9cd8d796-bafe-4f67-b094-befecf301e60.jpg

25f953d7-1792-4995-a3fa-d54ca20cbe5b.png
746be3ff-bd48-463e-a0a8-7afb19f4f366.png
da4a942e-64f8-45f8-aec9-71313c476d2e.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be down.

Do we have a general idea of finish on these?

I'm personally hoping on spot glossing. I’d like spot glossing on jaws and the title. And for this maybe the title and white parts.

Reactions: DMD4k
Both? Front and back? Just front?
They’re spoiled for choice!

Oh ffs, another good point. All of them lol. Both titles on both the front and back in English and Japanese, all 4 titles spot glossed

• Haha
Reactions: DMD4k
I love this kind of Japanese graphic design from the '70s so I'm all for this one. This is a really cool (but baffling) line to me but I can't imagine they could do any movies newer than the '80s without losing the aesthetic though.

Even though the sea of violet/purple on the front may be considered a tad excessive with the only purple on the Japanese poster being the title it's undeniably dramatic - and one heck of a spoiler not that I believe there's anyone here that's not seen this classic yet .

Also really different to the usual steelbooks I buy so this is a truly exciting release in my book - much more so than JAWS in fact.
1597536955262.png
1597536494858.png
1597536193108.png

Must admit kind of glad they're using fanart on the back of DUEL instead of a Polish posters (as on JAWS):-
1597537538184.png
1597538129245.png
although quite like
1597538603862.png
but prefer the art chosen as goes better with the front.

So now that makes ToC, STAR WARS and now HMV Japanese poster front cover art collections to collect.

What's next? Is this just a Spielberg collection? Is it just a Universal collection?
So many questions.

This is a historic release. Quite possibly the ugliest steelbook design in a long, long, long, long, long time.
No rhyme or reason to it. The horrible front looks like an ultrasound image of an embryo. Is it a boy or a
girl?
Ridiculous back with Dennis Weaver in the foreground looking at his own big floating head. Even if the
big head is not Dennis Weaver, it still looks so ridiculous positioned above the truck.
I can't find any more words to adequately describe my disgust. Peace out.

• Haha
Reactions: DMD4k and crib79
This is a historic release. Quite possibly the ugliest steelbook design in a long, long, long, long, long time.
No rhyme or reason to it. The horrible front looks like an ultrasound image of an embryo. Is it a boy or a
girl?
Ridiculous back with Dennis Weaver in the foreground looking at his own big floating head. Even if the
big head is not Dennis Weaver, it still looks so ridiculous positioned above the truck.
I can't find any more words to adequately describe my disgust. Peace out.

I understand why you might take exception to the colour but don't understand why you'd take exception to the most iconic scene in the movie being represented on the front:-
1597580340951.png
1597580419036.png

Could not find the origin of the back image yesterday so put it down as fanart - it's actually the original release poster from Lebanon ...
1597581636214.png

... and for the inside art there's this Danish poster:-
1597581930639.png
1597582340173.png

Definitely an International steelbook with original posters from at least three countries used in its makeup ... the irony is I don't think HMV is shipping internationally at the moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: milky
Original posters by themselves are ok but when brought together in this way, it is just a mish mash hash of a mess.
If I displayed this steelbook amongst my other steelbooks, I know that my steelbooks would protest with something
along the lines of, "There goes the neighborhood."

Reactions: steelmybeatingheart
Need to check again, I seem to had this payment failed, but it was twinned with Jaws.. which was successful :confused:

Well done HMV, so you cancelled my Duel, but charged me for Jaws. Well I'm glad this didn't sell out, so putting in a separate order back in again. How bizarre, can't fathom out these retail business sometimes, just so draconian and odd. Lets see if this gets cancelled in the next hour...