Dune (1984) (4K+2D Blu-ray Ultimate Edition) (Koch Films Shop Exclusive) [Germany]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: February 17, 2022
Purchase link: Koch Films
Price: €103.35
Notes: Ultimate Edition - 4K-UHD + 5 Blu-rays + CD soundtrack - exclusively from the Koch Films Shop

DUNE-BeautyshotMORE_Shopabbildung.jpg

DUNE_Render_Alternate.jpg DUNE-Beautyshot1.jpg DUNE-Beautyshot2.jpg DUNE-Beautyshot3.jpg DUNE-Beautyshot4.jpg

Last edited:
Extras and special features
  • Photo book with drafts and set photos by Ron Miller, DUNE's production designer, including an interview with him
  • Booklet with an essay by Paul Poet
  • DUNE - The comic book adaptation by Bill Sienkiewicz and Ralph Macchio
Disc 1:
  • 4K-UHD: New 4K sampling from the original negative from Koch Films
  • Sound: German / English - DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
  • Subtitle: German
  • Extras: German and English trailer / picture gallery
Disc 2:
  • Blu-ray version of Disc 1
Disc 3:
  • New extras:
  • New feature-length documentary “The Sleeper Must Wake Up - Making of DUNE” with many new interviews
  • New interview with actor Jürgen Prochnow
  • Featurette "Beyond Our Imagination - The Merchandise" by and with Brian Sillman (Netflix's THE TOYS THAT MADE US)
  • Featurette “Prophecy Fulfilled - Die Filmmusik” with new interviews with Steve Lukather and Steve Porcaro von Toto as well as film music historian Tim Greiving
  • Interview with special effects artist Giannetto De Rossi
Disc 4:
  • Video archive:
    • “Destination DUNE” - contemporary making of
    • “Impressions of DUNE” - making of documentary from 2003
    • Cut scenes, some with commentary by Raffaela De Laurentiis
    • Featurette “Designing DUNE” - about the production design
    • Featurette "DUNE Models and Minatures" - about the models
    • Featurette "DUNE FX" - about the special effects
    • Featurette “DUNE Wardrobe Design” - about the costumes
    • Sean Young's Super8 footage from the set
    • Interview with actor Paul Smith
    • Interview with Production Coordinator Golda Offenheim
  • Audio archive:
    • Interview with David Lynch (Guardian Lectures 1985)
    • Radio interview with Frank Herbert at the start of the film
    • David Lynch in conversation with Frank Herbert at the start of the film
    • Frank Herbert on the creation of Dune
Disc 5:
  • Extended version 1
Disc 6:
  • Extended version 2
Disc 7:
  • Soundtrack CD with 17 tracks, approx. 41 minutes

Reactions: sinusR2
With my current exchange rate, that comes out to almost $200Cdn.
Much as I'd love to see the extended version and certainly that fan edit version on Blu, that's a bit much considering the other 2 new eds I've already ordered.
Mind, Koch Ultimate eds are not known for exactly flying off the shelves so, I've got some time to decide I think.

With my current exchange rate, that comes out to almost $200Cdn.
Much as I'd love to see the extended version and certainly that fan edit version on Blu, that's a bit much considering the other 2 new eds I've already ordered.
Mind, Koch Ultimate eds are not known for exactly flying off the shelves so, I've got some time to decide I think.
Odds are the extended versions will be the same ones that are already out there. So if you already have those on blu ray - I don't really see the reason to get this - unless its a different transfer or it has extra special artwork and packaging.

Reactions: Grendel
I have the studio produced extended version on the dvd that came with the dvd Steel. I'm not aware of a blu ed of it though.
With that in mind, a financial reality check makes me think that I can live without the Koch ed. :)

Reactions: C.C. 95
I have the studio produced extended version on the dvd that came with the dvd Steel. I'm not aware of a blu ed of it though.
With that in mind, a financial reality check makes me think that I can live without the Koch ed. :)
Japan blu ray extended version included
Amazon product

Content introduction​

The long-awaited first Blu-ray of the science fiction movie "Dune / Sand Planet" directed by the genius David Lynch with super-luxury specifications that fans covet!

[Point]
1 Japan 's first Blu-ray with the latest HD master & 5.1ch audio! !
2 main HD master performs an additional restoration in Japan, further the image quality up realization !!
first time in the double 3 "Friday Roadshow" (the first two and a half hours frame) the TV broadcast dub voice of "Sunday Movie theater" Included !!
4 "Dune / Sand Planet TV Broadcast Long Version" (about 189 minutes) is also included (4: 3 standard) !!
5 Bonus footage (about 45 minutes) such as making and interviews that will be released for the first time in Japan Included !!
◆ Luxury package specifications (planned)
◆ Enclosed benefits: Ryoichi Ikegami, reduced reprint by drawing, 3 theater public leaflets, commentary (color / 16 pages planned)

[Product specifications]
Blu-ray 2 discs (main story) Disc + bonus disc) Recording time (main story): 137 minutes / (privilege): 234 minutes each dual-layer disc / 1080p High Definition / COLOR
screen size: (main story) 16: 9 (scope size) / (privilege) 4: 3 (Standard)
(Main story) Audio: 1 English (DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1ch Surround) 2 English (DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0ch Stereo) 3 Japanese Dubbing 1 (DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0ch Monaural) 4 Japanese Flipping 2 (DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0ch monaural)
Subtitles: 1 Japanese subtitles 2 Dubbing subtitles (privilege) Audio: 1 English / French (DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0ch stereo)
Subtitles: 1 Japanese subtitles
Japanese dubbing 1 will be on Nippon Television's "Friday Road Show" Using the material that was broadcast (1988/6/10) (net 118 minutes).
Japanese dubbing 2 uses materials broadcast (May 27, 1990) on TV Asahi's "Sunday Western Painting Theater" (net 93 minutes).

◆ Recording benefits:
1) "Dune / Sand Planet" TV broadcast long version (about 189 minutes / English)
2) Comparison of the original and the movie by Olivier Dracroix (journalist) (about 17 minutes / French)
3) Making Of Dune / Sand Planet (approx. 7 minutes / English)
4) Interview with director David Lynch (approx. 8 minutes / English)
5) Who is Alan Smithee, director of "Television Long Edition"? (Approximately 10) Minutes / French)
6) Original Theater Trailer (Approximately 3 minutes / English)

Contents (from "Kinema Junpo" database)​

A special edition BOX commemorating the 30th anniversary of the release of science fiction works directed by David Lynch in Japan. Set in the desert planet Arakis, it depicts a fierce battle for power between the universes. In addition to recording the dubbed audio of the TV broadcast version of "Friday Road Show" for the first time, "~ TV broadcast long version" and many bonus videos that will be released for the first time are also recorded.

Contents (from "Oricon" database)​

In commemoration of the 30th anniversary of the release of "Dune Sand Planet" in the Japanese theater, the first Blu-ray version of the HD master! A sci-fi action masterpiece depicting the power struggle on the desert planet and the activities of the young prince. Directed by David Lynch, music by TOTO, starring Kyle MacLachlan, Sting and others.

Last edited:
@C.C. 95 @Grendel Another one of those ext. cuts is SpiceDiver fan edit. IMO never been on blu-ray before. Would get this release in the blink but once again, no eng subs...

Edit, but it's SD.
And if there was ever a movie that needs its subtitles - it's DUNE!
The info dump speech in the first 10 minutes. :rofl:
*if you are wise in the ways of the interwebs - the Spicediver DUNE Fanedit can be found out there.....

Koch's website doesn't ship to the US
DiabolikDVD will probably have it (At some point)....They carried the Koch 7 disc ultimate edition of COLOR OUT OF SPACE.

*I sent them an email about it - hopefully they will respond and i can get confirmation whether they will (or won't) be carrying it.

Last edited:
A booklet....in german I am guessing...
everytime they make a special edition that contains text it is in german
Why remove the english subtitles, surely the vast majority of Germany understands english.

• Haha
Reactions: komor and astycorax
I think the lack of English subtitles will be a deal breaker for many. There are scenes such as the meeting between the Emperor and the Guild Navigator that require them.

Exactly I always watch my movies with english subs, hard to make out WTF they are saying!
Sometimes when they are whispering or mention a name and I'm like ...'''WHO!!!???''

Why have english audio but remove english subs, it is so stupid.
No one can tell me that they are forced to remove english subs. no way in hell they can't leave english subs on the disc.

Reactions: Space Cadet
I think the lack of English subtitles will be a deal breaker for many. There are scenes such as the meeting between the Emperor and the Guild Navigator that require them.

Exactly I always watch my movies with english subs, hard to make out WTF they are saying!
Sometimes when they are whispering or mention a name and I'm like ...'''WHO!!!???''

Why have english audio but remove english subs, it is so stupid.
No one can tell me that they are forced to remove english subs. no way in hell they can't leave english subs on the disc.
FYI- Just in case any of you have an Oppo player- Oppos can use extenal subtitles from USB thumb drives.