Dune - In theaters October 22, 2021

Apr 17, 2009
San Diego, CA
4.75 star(s) Rating: 4.75/5 8 Votes
Title: Dune

Genre: Science Fiction, Adventure, Drama

Director: Denis Villeneuve

Cast: Timothée Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Dave Bautista, Stellan Skarsgård, Charlotte Rampling, Oscar Isaac, Zendaya, Javier Bardem, Josh Brolin, Jason Momoa, David Dastmalchian, Chang Chen

Release: 2020-11-20

Plot: Set in the year 10,191 amidst a feudal interstellar society in which noble houses are in charge of individual planets, the House Atreides accepts the stewardship of the coveted spice-rich planet Arrakis. As the noble family takes ahold of Arrakis, tensions between houses arise and ignites a battle for control of the planet.

dunecover.jpg

After director Peter Berg dropped out of the Dune remake last October, Paramount has finally found a replacement.

Set to direct the sci-fi classic will be Taken director, Pierre Morel.

The 1965 book by Frank Herbert originally had the screenplay written by Quantum of Solace scribe Josh Zetumer.

But Paramount is now looking for a new writer to incorporate some of Morel's visions into the project.

According to Brian Herbert's (son of Frank Herbert, creator of DUNE) Facebook page, it looks like Legendary and Warner will be making the DUNE remake and they've just signed Denis Villeneuve to direct (coming off of BLADE RUNNER 2049). :thumbs:

• Thanks
Reactions: Drum18
I love Villeneuve... he's quickly become one of my favourite directors, but I really hope he's not going to make a habit of doing remakes now. That being said, I look forward to seeing his version of Dune!

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon
I love Villeneuve... he's quickly become one of my favourite directors, but I really hope he's not going to make a habit of doing remakes now. That being said, I look forward to seeing his version of Dune!

I think Blade Runner and Dune were his favourites growing up, so this is probably just him getting the chance to play with them. I'm sure he'll go back to original work after those projects.

• Thanks
Reactions: Drum18 and Noodles
absolutley adore anything Dune related so obviously my pants are filled at this present time

Still trying to get @cooey to watch it though lol

• Thanks
I think Blade Runner and Dune were his favourites growing up, so this is probably just him getting the chance to play with them. I'm sure he'll go back to original work after those projects.
If that's the case, then I can't say I blame him. But, yeah... his original work is what excites me most! :D

• Thanks
From Ain't It Cool News:

Hey folks, more news out of Cannes, this one regarding Denis Villeneuve (BLADE RUNNER 2049). Speaking with the Quebec press regarding his role as a Cannes juror (led by Cate Blanchett), Villeneuve opened up about where he is on his DUNE adaptation.

As he predicted it would be back in March, Villeneuve says Frank Herbert's book has been adapted into two screenplays, and will be done sequentially instead of planning production on all both films and using the same sets shot-to-shot. Given the way Hobbiton was flawlessly recreated, over and over again, for The Hobbit films and the Lord of the Rings films, I have little worry that the production can duplicate their work as the budget allows. Just a shame that they couldn't film the whole thing in one long go.

Here's Villeneuve's comment:

"Eric Roth wrote the first draft and I worked on my side afterwards. I have not had such fun on the creative side since INCENDIES! My wish would have been to make both films at the same time but it will be too expensive. We will do them one at a time."

What do people honestly think of the original Dune? I've never watched it, and I'm not entirely sure I can be bothered to either... it's 2:17 long, and apart from The Elephant Man, I'm not a fan of Lynch at all. However, I kinda want to know what to expect for the remake and at least go in somewhat prepared. So is watching the original recommended?

What do people honestly think of the original Dune? I've never watched it, and I'm not entirely sure I can be bothered to either... it's 2:17 long, and apart from The Elephant Man, I'm not a fan of Lynch at all. However, I kinda want to know what to expect for the remake and at least go in somewhat prepared. So is watching the original recommended?

Once again ... Noodles Noodles. Sigh. :D

I love the Lynch version. The longer the better. And I have read the books.

IMO one doesn't have to see Lynch's version to understand upcoming film. BUT. Goes kinda territory to have seen the film ... right ?

Pic : me trying to control you :

6u4tXo7.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Noodles
Once again ... Noodles Noodles. Sigh. :D

I love the Lynch version. The longer the better. And I have read the books.

IMO one doesn't have to see Lynch's version to understand upcoming film. BUT. Goes kinda territory to have seen the film ... right ?

Pic : me trying to control you :

View attachment 430038
Imagine how I feel knowing so many people actually like the tripe he puts on screen. :muted: :p

Well, thank goodness for that then! Means I can use those 2 hours much more wisely instead. :sleep:

Lol nah, I'm just yanking your chain now... I will most likely give it a watch at some point before the new film is out, and I'll be sure to let you know how much I hated it, just to annoy you! :giggle:

Reactions: Space Cadet
The original is first class tripe. Total and utter laugh fest in the vain of Flash Gordon.
Dennis V could film his fingernails growing for two hours and still surpass the tedium that is Lynch’s abomination.

• Haha
Reactions: Noodles
The original is first class tripe. Total and utter laugh fest in the vain of Flash Gordon.
Dennis V could film his fingernails growing for two hours and still surpass the tedium that is Lynch’s abomination.
Comparing it to Flash Gordon certainly doesn't give me much hope, as it's honestly one of the worst films I've ever seen, and I've witnessed some trash student films in my time lol.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database