Dune - In theaters October 22, 2021

Apr 17, 2009
San Diego, CA
4.75 star(s) Rating: 4.75/5 8 Votes
Title: Dune

Genre: Science Fiction, Adventure, Drama

Director: Denis Villeneuve

Cast: Timothée Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Dave Bautista, Stellan Skarsgård, Charlotte Rampling, Oscar Isaac, Zendaya, Javier Bardem, Josh Brolin, Jason Momoa, David Dastmalchian, Chang Chen

Release: 2020-11-20

Plot: Set in the year 10,191 amidst a feudal interstellar society in which noble houses are in charge of individual planets, the House Atreides accepts the stewardship of the coveted spice-rich planet Arrakis. As the noble family takes ahold of Arrakis, tensions between houses arise and ignites a battle for control of the planet.

Not really, i would put Enemy in the non hollywood aswell.

For Maelstrom, it was average.I probably need to watch it again.

Incendies is the best one for me.Polytechnique was good also.French is my first language, so it's probably easier for me the canadian movies of Villeneuve.

Yes , you should absolutely watch Jodorowsky's Dune before the release of the movie if you can ;)

for some reason I've always watched French version of Poly ?! I know there is English one too.

• Informative
Reactions: Genocide
for some reason I've always watched French version of Poly ?! I know there is English one too.
That's news to me .I did watch the french version also.

"Rather than present a dubbed or subtitled version for the English market, it was shot scene by scene first in French and then in English."

I don't remember a movie doing this.Better than a dubbed version for sure.

Reactions: Space Cadet
You did not have a clue what was going on yet you say they've gone too "Hollywood" ... IMO does not make sense. :naughty:
Your definition of "Hollywood" obviously differs from mine then... expensive dumb/unnecessary/over-the-top action sequences that make little to no sense.

Prisoners,Sicario and arrival are already too "hollywood".

Maelstrom, Polytechnique and Incendies are the ones you can consider "non hollywood"
Nah, they actually had an interesting and well written story behind them. This just seems to rely on action sequences to keep folks entertained... or at least that's all I got from the trailer.

Nah, they actually had an interesting and well written story behind them. This just seems to rely on action sequences to keep folks entertained... or at least that's all I got from the trailer.
I hope the movie is not like that. And they made a trailer with a lot of action to sell more tickets.

xSieppaa.JPG

Just reading up a bit and wanted to add my thoughts. I think by now Dennis Villeneuve deserves people's trust. I definitely think they try to market trailers in a certain way to attract the biggest audience possible. Green Knight is a perfect example from what I've heard from the people who have seen it.

I just saw the film a few hours ago. I read the book this spring in preparation and was quite let down by the trailers - they really didn't feel like what I read in the book at all.

I have to say from the first minute until leaving the theater it was exactly like with Blade Runner 2049: the trailers sucked, and the film is an absolute masterpiece - from front to back. That word is being thrown around a lot these days, but this film really is something special, Villeneuve f'ing knows how to make a movie and it's such a joyous occasion to see a film like this work so well.
The trailers had this hopeful adventure tone to them (with that Pink Floyd song) that does not fit the book's story at all, and the finished film doesn't have it either. It's dark, approptiately light at times, dangerous, serious and sophisticated, exactly how Dune should be.
It is such a rich experience, the film adds so much to the book and in the most positive way possible. The design work is impeccable, so original and yet so familiar. It's weird to see some of these design works, clothes, buildings, ships etc. and how alien they feel but they just feel genuine, like in an actual environment. I have grown a bit tired of Hans Zimmers soundtracks over the years with a few exceptions but this one feels like built deep into the fabric of the film, it is such a palpable experience when the seats rumble by the drums, the deep growls and the low strings of the soundtrack and we weren't even in Imax, in Germany they only offer an original version screening in 2 weeks. Normally I would watch a movie of this caliber multiple times in the theater but I feel like once is enough for now, it was special and it will stay special. I can't wait to see it again at home though.

It's by far my favourite film I've seen this year. If Warner doesn't green light Part 2 I'll lose my sh*t. But honestly, I'm very interested to see the box office results, this has far more BR2049 sophistication vibes than I expected Warner to "allow" him to do. Will be interesting to see how general audiences react to it. Fingers crossed it will be enough.

I gotta see this on IMAX to really appreciate it. When this finally releases I'll be in my new house and an IMAX will be right down the street from me. Just gotta brave it to go see it in the theater.

So I've never read the books or seen the other movies. I actually just started reading the book a few weeks ago in preparation of seeing it but at NYCC they had an advanced screening so I saw it in IMAX while still in the middle of reading.

Without getting too spoilery I did enjoy it. I will say the first 3/4 really kept my attention maybe I felt the last quarter dragged a drop, but could also be cause I had not read that part of the book. The FX, Cinematography, and acting though were stellar. I do hope they greenlight the next part