Dune - In theaters October 22, 2021

Apr 17, 2009
San Diego, CA
4.75 star(s) Rating: 4.75/5 8 Votes
Title: Dune

Genre: Science Fiction, Adventure, Drama

Director: Denis Villeneuve

Cast: Timothée Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Dave Bautista, Stellan Skarsgård, Charlotte Rampling, Oscar Isaac, Zendaya, Javier Bardem, Josh Brolin, Jason Momoa, David Dastmalchian, Chang Chen

Release: 2020-11-20

Plot: Set in the year 10,191 amidst a feudal interstellar society in which noble houses are in charge of individual planets, the House Atreides accepts the stewardship of the coveted spice-rich planet Arrakis. As the noble family takes ahold of Arrakis, tensions between houses arise and ignites a battle for control of the planet.

Yeah, watched it a month ago, powerful sound and visuals.
I like that in today's PC, 'woke', communist-like shaming one party vision Hollywood a movie comes out with class systems, Lords and Ladies, servants, honorable generals, family ruling, etc.
If you're going to listen to the soundtrack after the viewing, I don't recommend the 'official' soundtrack, but rather Zimmer's Dune Sketchbook.

House Atreides

Song of the Sisters

Reactions: CollectorEmtee
Yeah, watched it a month ago, powerful sound and visuals.
I like that in today's PC, 'woke', communist-like shaming one party vision Hollywood a movie comes out with class systems, Lords and Ladies, servants, honorable generals, family ruling, etc.
If you're going to listen to the soundtrack after the viewing, I don't recommend the 'official' soundtrack, but rather Zimmer's Dune Sketchbook.

House Atreides

Song of the Sisters

Been putting off listening to the official soundtrack as heard it works well in the film, but less on its own. Will listen after I have seen the film (this Thursday hopefully).

I chose to listen to the Sketchbook instead and I have to agree there are some excellent ideas. Hans really played with those vocals. I hope some of them made it to the film :)

There should be also a third soundtrack coming with the book. So much music for this film! :D

Reactions: Lenny Nero
Still don't understand the thinking of making part 1 of a film with no guarantee of a part 2? Unless of course this is just a publicity stunt and a part 2 has been green-lit all along?

I did read Villeneuve say they could get to work on a part 2 as early as 2022 which would lead to a potential 2023 release so I guess it's not too long of a wait although obviously filming the two parts back to back with part 2 being released next year would have been better

Epic film though, Villeneuve is just brilliant

Still don't understand the thinking of making part 1 of a film with no guarantee of a part 2? Unless of course this is just a publicity stunt and a part 2 has been green-lit all along?

I did read Villeneuve say they could get to work on a part 2 as early as 2022 which would lead to a potential 2023 release so I guess it's not too long of a wait although obviously filming the two parts back to back with part 2 being released next year would have been better

Epic film though, Villeneuve is just brilliant

They should have just filmed it all at once like LOTR.

Unless they have the actors on a contract/ standby for pt 2, it will be a nightmare coordinating them to film the second. There must have been economy in keeping filming unless Warner had massive doubts.
I really liked this, though knowing the Lynch version inside out was distracted at times by the differnces/ missing elements.

Unless they have the actors on a contract/ standby for pt 2, it will be a nightmare coordinating them to film the second. There must have been economy in keeping filming unless Warner had massive doubts.
I really liked this, though knowing the Lynch version inside out was distracted at times by the differnces/ missing elements.

It’s a lot of money to invest. Denis’ films don’t have a track record of generating huge revenue, he isn’t Christopher Nolan. They would be kicking themselves if it flopped like Bladerunner 2049.

Trailers didn't impress me all that much, but just seen the film and although it did feel a bit long-winded at first, I was genuinely in awe by the end of it and left wanting more! I'll never doubt Villeneuve ever again. :notworthy:

One thing that did bug me though... everyone has strange/unique names, and then there's the main character, Paul lmao. Made me laugh every time someone said his name and kinda took me out of the film for a moment.

Seen this three times already. Film of the year for me for sure. The scope of this film is so massive! Definitely made for the big screen.

Villeneuve was the best choice to direct this. Perfect adaptation :thumbs: Oh and that Zimmer score! Loved every second of it :drool:

Here Denis explains a scene which seems quite simple, but after his break down I look at it in a complete different way, 100% film craft:

Last edited:
Saw Dune on Friday night. Never seen the original, never read the book, had no clue what it was really about and only really knew of its reputation. I really enjoyed it. I thought it looked amazing, the acting was great and while I agree with Noodles that it was a little long winded at times, the story generally moved along at a nice pace. I did get a little lost at times but think a second viewing will sort that and I now REALLY hope they do a second part sooner rather than later.

Saw Dune on Friday night. Never seen the original, never read the book, had no clue what it was really about and only really knew of its reputation. I really enjoyed it. I thought it looked amazing, the acting was great and while I agree with Noodles that it was a little long winded at times, the story generally moved along at a nice pace. I did get a little lost at times but think a second viewing will sort that and I now REALLY hope they do a second part sooner rather than later.
Pretty much the exact same here... never read the book nor seen the original film, so it was certainly very interesting going into this with no real clue as to what it was really about. I can also admit that I was kinda lost for about the first hour, but it eventually all started to make more sense. And like you said... it'll no doubt be a lot clearer to us on rewatch.

Reactions: TheWorz