Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere
4.00 star(s) Rating: 4.00/5 3 Votes
Title: Dune: Part Two

Genre: Adventure, Science Fiction, Drama

Director: Denis Villeneuve

Cast: Timothée Chalamet, Zendaya, Rebecca Ferguson, Javier Bardem, Stellan Skarsgård, Josh Brolin, Dave Bautista, Charlotte Rampling, Stephen McKinley Henderson, Roger Yuan

Release: 2024-03-01

Plot: The second chapter of ‘Dune’ (2021).

Yes I think so too. Even though Warner seems to have been VERY trusting to him creatively (rightfully so, but still surprising nowadays) he doesn't own the material, they do. So they could very well release it dispite him not wanting that to happen. Especially since every single person disagrees with Villeneuve and everyone wants to see that unreleased footage :rofl:
I'm actually a little unsure on who exactly has the rights to something like this, WB have distributed it but I thought Legendary produced and were the main financiers of it. They've also recently signed a deal to work with Sony for a number of years (Dune P2 was still contracted to WB though) so Messiah should be under them. Legendary (and Villeneuve in particular) had a public spat with WB when the latter decided they would release stuff like Dune on streaming day one alongside theatrical release, eventually they relented after pressure but I think that was the final nail in the coffin.

I'm actually a little unsure on who exactly has the rights to something like this, WB have distributed it but I thought Legendary produced and were the main financiers of it. They've also recently signed a deal to work with Sony for a number of years (Dune P2 was still contracted to WB though) so Messiah should be under them. Legendary (and Villeneuve in particular) had a public spat with WB when the latter decided they would release stuff like Dune on streaming day one alongside theatrical release, eventually they relented after pressure but I think that was the final nail in the coffin.
Oh wow, I didn't know that. Either way, it's not Villeneuve who decides if previously unreleased material will get put on a blu-ray if I'm not mistaken. So I'm sure that would be a weird discussion for them to have. On the one hand I understand Villeneuve, you don't want stuff to get out that in your opinion is not great and is not in the final movie for a good reason. On the other hand he said that he had to cut "a lot of great stuff" just because it didn't fit into the rythm of the movies. To see these would be really cool. I kinda like Villeneuves attitude that the theater version is the only and ultimate version, makes it simple. On the other hand I sometimes wish he had a bit more of the Peter Jackson attitude and would at least think about doing an Extended Edition. Oh well.

Reactions: NateDog
Just back from Dolby Cinema and in awe. This episode was even better as part one which I love.
1000034475.jpg
1000034475.jpg
1000034475.jpg
1000034475.jpg
1000034475.jpg

Saw this last night. Felt a little rushed in places but great film. It was so nice to watch something that didn't look like a cartoon or computer game for once!

I mean, first of all, I really hope he is not gonna call it Dune Messiah, but Dune Part Three. The way Part Two is set up and how it is different from the book it is obvious that they were setting up a trilogy pretty much from the get go.

There are some statements that I found very interesting regarding the studio's decision to greenlight Part Two. Everyone in the cast and crew made it seem like it was uncertain until the very second they announced Part Two in 2021. However Villeneuve said in a recent interview that even while they shot Part One (!) Legendary secretly ensured him that they were going to go forward with Part Two, no matter how well Part One will be doing at the box office. So yeah, I'm not believeing anything he says now :rofl:

And after his statement on this I even believe they were going to do three movies from the very beginning tbh, especially with how Part Two feels like the middle movie and is certainly set up and designed that way as a movie and story. I'm sure Part Three is gonna be great and they're 100% gonna make it.
And again, I really hope it's not gonna be called Messiah. The film is gonna have to be kinda different from the book the way they set things up in Part Two, not the least Alia's (Taylor-Joy's) age, so not calling it Part Three to conclude a trilogy would be kinda weird. Dune Messiah is also a little trippy, If I would bet on it I'd say that we're gonna see a bit less of those heady themes and more of war in the third film, the ending of Part Two may hint at that, which is not shown in the book, but sort of happens off screen and is only being talked about from the far.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Flloydo
I mean, first of all, I really hope he is not gonna call it Dune Messiah, but Dune Part Three. The way Part Two is set up and how it is different from the book it is obvious that they were setting up a trilogy pretty much from the get go.

There are some statements that I found very interesting regarding the studio's decision to greenlight Part Two. Everyone in the cast and crew made it seem like it was uncertain until the very second they announced Part Two in 2021. However Villeneuve said in a recent interview that even while they shot Part One (!) Legendary secretly ensured him that they were going to go forward with Part Two, no matter how well Part One will be doing at the box office. So yeah, I'm not believeing anything he says now :rofl:

And after his statement on this I even believe they were going to do three movies from the very beginning tbh, especially with how Part Two feels like the middle movie and is certainly set up and designed that way as a movie and story. I'm sure Part Three is gonna be great and they're 100% gonna make it.
And again, I really hope it's not gonna be called Messiah. The film is gonna have to be kinda different from the book the way they set things up in Part Two, not the least Alia's (Taylor-Joy's) age, so not calling it Part Three to conclude a trilogy would be kinda weird. Dune Messiah is also a little trippy, If I would bet on it I'd say that we're gonna see a bit less of those heady themes and more of war in the third film, the ending of Part Two may hint at that, which is not shown in the book, but sort of happens off screen and is only being talked about from the far.
I don't really get the issue in calling it Messiah. It'll still have Dune in the title and P1 and P2 made sense because they're telling the same story just split up. There's no gap between the ending of P1 and the beginning of P2 and they also significantly shortened the space of time the second half of the book takes place over too. There's not only a huge time skip to Messiah but it's also very different in tone to Dune. Also if we go down that route and ever get an adaptation of Children of Dune, will that have to be called Part Four? People might wonder why that would be a departure if it was titled CoD instead.

Ironically, it seems like Villeneuve may be having the same issue that Herbert did in feeling a need to make Messiah get the message of Dune across to a lot of people. Most seem to have understood what the story is trying to convey (particularly with the changes to Chani and how she is used throughout) but I've also similarly seen plenty of people just view this as a standard heroic tale.

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo

I like the title Messiah but I don’t know anything about Dune, I’ve never read the books and I don’t like the Lynch film but my mate and his dad who I see Part 2 with last night love them all and the new films and they were telling me that Anya (the Foetus) is far more powerful because of that worm water and she ages completely different once she’s born (which I guess explains why you see that image of her) and also why she communicates from inside the womb with her adult voice but I was also told messiah has a big time jump

I like the title Messiah but I don’t know anything about Dune, I’ve never read the books and I don’t like the Lynch film but my mate and his dad who I see Part 2 with last night love them all and the new films and they were telling me that Anya (the Foetus) is far more powerful because of that worm water and she ages completely different once she’s born (which I guess explains why you see that image of her) and also why she communicates from inside the womb with her adult voice but I was also told messiah has a big time jump
She'll be born (and grown) in Messiah but I couldn't say for sure what age I'd expect her to be. Supposed to be 15 but that's after her having been born and grown to 2 in Dune. After the change in P2 I wouldn't want to make any bets.

She'll be born (and grown) in Messiah but I couldn't say for sure what age I'd expect her to be. Supposed to be 15 but that's after her having been born and grown to 2 in Dune. After the change in P2 I wouldn't want to make any bets.
She can prob still pull off 18 due to how she looks but who knows in a couple more years. After watching the 2nd, I’m positive a 3rd will happen

We've only seen him barely become the Kwisatz Haderach, almost everyone wants to see him grow to power now. What becomes of him now, people gotta know. He really needs to make part three so he can finish the story, he pretty much left it hanging after part two.

We've only seen him barely become the Kwisatz Haderach, almost everyone wants to see him grow to power now. What becomes of him now, people gotta know. He really needs to make part three so he can finish the story, he pretty much left it hanging after part two.
Not much more he could do tbh, Dune (the book) ends pretty much just as hastily as Part 2 does.

Reactions: Lone Crusader
Also if we go down that route and ever get an adaptation of Children of Dune, will that have to be called Part Four? People might wonder why that would be a departure if it was titled CoD instead.
Villeneuve has said himself that the story of Paul ends for him with Messiah and that that is all he wants to do. I think it makes sense to have a sort of departure from the books and ignore all the crazy stuff that happens in the later books and just have it a 3 movie story with Pauls story ending there. They have already done many little differences in the film that this move would make sense, just call it the Dune trilogy and end it where Messiah ends, it would be a beautiful ending to that trilogy imo.

Reactions: Lone Crusader
Villeneuve has said himself that the story of Paul ends for him with Messiah and that that is all he wants to do. I think it makes sense to have a sort of departure from the books and ignore all the crazy stuff that happens in the later books and just have it a 3 movie story with Pauls story ending there. They have already done many little differences in the film that this move would make sense, just call it the Dune trilogy and end it where Messiah ends, it would be a beautiful ending to that trilogy imo.
Can't it still be called a trilogy with different sub-titles? Dune technically released as Dune, then Dune: Part Two, I just don't really see how significant a difference using Messiah over P3 is to the different titles of something like LoTR/Hobbit or Star Wars trilogies.