Mar 15, 2017
Release date: December 19, 2017
Purchase link: BestBuy
Price: $32.99

dunkirk steelbook.jpg

Previous artwork:
BUqBYTJ.png

Last edited by a moderator:
So why make movies available to take home at all?

Hasn't it always been said by the biggest and best directors that movies should only be seen on the big screen in theatres?

Isn't that why Spielberg originally said he would never release E.T. on home video?

He then finally gave in 7 years later in 1989 ushering in the era of "first time home video releases at sell through prices." (about $26.95 or less Canadian at the time) instead of the usual $90 and above for a new release (which meant that you didn't buy it, you rented it from a video store.)

1989 also saw all the big summer movies released on home video at sell through prices including
Batman, Indy and the Last Crusade, Lethal Weapon 2, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, and Dead Poets Society.

The summer of 1989 was the first summer that saw 5 movies each cross the $100 Million box office barrier in the US. (The 5 movies mentioned above)

1989 was also the first time movies brought in $5 Billion at the box office (worldwide).
It was called the year of the sequel.

Since then every year has been the year of the sequel and remakes.

But just in case you ever do want to watch Dunkirk again, chances aren't that good that you'll be able to catch it in Imax in the theatre ever again.

But who knows, maybe someday our "home theatre set ups" will be in Imax :)

Because E.T., Indiana Jones, Lethal Weapon, Star Wars- those are all "Movies". Things with plot, characters, a narrative, a point.

Dunkirk isn't a stereotypical "Movie"- it's moreso a cinematic viewing experience. Much like one of those 4D Motion Rides that you find in arcades.

A movie you can bring home and watch on your home theatre set up. But something like Dunkirk relies solely on its gimmick- its gimmick being the immersion brought with the sound editing and visuals presented in an IMAX setting. Anything less would be like watching the Universal Studios back to the future Ride on an iPhone- it's entirely beside he point.

i tend to believe that this'd be the WWA ... and i'm not so crazy about it at all... there's tons of better arts out there, i hope i'm wrong (or i hope BB gets the exclusive art)...

dunkirk_steelbook.jpg

Wow, it looks like pretty much every country is getting a steeelbook of this but us!
Not really surprising I guess, it doesn’t have a lot to do with us Brits I suppose.

could not agree more the studios need a kick in the teeth over this major cock up!
thankgod for blufans

basil :thumbs:

• Thanks
Reactions: BDDB
Because E.T., Indiana Jones, Lethal Weapon, Star Wars- those are all "Movies". Things with plot, characters, a narrative, a point.

Dunkirk isn't a stereotypical "Movie"- it's moreso a cinematic viewing experience. Much like one of those 4D Motion Rides that you find in arcades.

A movie you can bring home and watch on your home theatre set up. But something like Dunkirk relies solely on its gimmick- its gimmick being the immersion brought with the sound editing and visuals presented in an IMAX setting. Anything less would be like watching the Universal Studios back to the future Ride on an iPhone- it's entirely beside he point.
I would liken this more to attending a sporting event live, as opposed to tv. Being at a game, has a much different feel and experience. But, I get plenty of enjoyment from watching a game on tv.
Is it better in IMAX? Sure. But, I think saying the movie should ONLY be viewed there, is a discredit to the film that Nolan made. This is a very good film. IMAX or not. Plus, not everyone has access to IMAX, or necessarily wants to spend $15-$20 to see it in IMAX.
But, one day, maybe we will have home IMAX theaters!! And then everyone is happy :)

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: FN-2187
Is there any different art work anywhere or do they all Have the same as this as uk isn't getting one trying to pick one I want now but all I keep finding are like this and not that much of a fan of it

several places have different artwork. Amazon Japan, South Korea and i think even Germany have different artwork