Epic would "love" to have Gears of War on PS3

Apr 17, 2009
San Diego, CA
Mike Capps, president of Epic Games, has said he’d “love” to bring the Gears of War franchise to PlayStation 3, though when it comes down to the nitty gritty of deciding where to take the series next, the studio always finds itself pairing up with Microsoft.

Chatting at GDC this week, Capps wouldn’t say for sure whether or not muscle-bound Marcus Fenix and chums would ever plant their size twelve’s on Sony's black box, though hinted it would be possible – Epic does own the IP, after all.

"Do we wish we could take all those Killzone [players] and Resistance fans on PS3, and get them to say 'Gears is awesome'? Yeah, sure I'd love to ship the Gears trilogy on PlayStation. That would be fun. I want to be there; I want to be everywhere,” he commented.

"We definitely own Gears of War. This is our franchise, our IP."

Nonetheless, the executive observed that Microsoft is currently an integral cog in the Gears of War machine, with the Xbox 360 platform holder facilitating overall product quality as well as cobbling together some pretty dazzling marketing efforts for the brutal shooter.

“Time and time again, when it came down to figure out what we do next with Gears, we sat down with Microsoft and they've given us really good, compelling reasons to work with them again,” said Capps.

"They don't just market it; they do amazing work and they have a user testing team that makes our games better, and so each time we've come to the point of 'what do we do next?' we've been happy to work with them. They help us make a better product and do some really cool marketing on the platform, so we save some money there."

I've always been slightly interested in the Gears franchise so I'd support it if it came to PS3. That being said, I'm not dying for it.

I've loved the two previous titles, nitty and gritty story lines. I've thoroughly enjoyed them through and through. Wish I could get away from the Xbox in order to play it though. Epic needs to stop making excuses, they could easily get support and testing from Sony, they are just sitting there confortable.

Gears of War unlikely to hit PS3 anytime soon

Gears of War overlord Cliff Bleszinski has poured cold water on any hope of seeing the brutal blaster set up shop on PlayStation 3.

Quizzed by GameTrailers as to whether or not developer Epic Games may consider porting the series to Sony's console or bring a new IP to the system, Bleszinski stated, “I would love to work on new IP, I'm a big believer in just creating new universes."

"We have a great deal with Microsoft. It's a great setup, I mean multiplatform games... Call Of Duty's huge, right?"

"But the way that we have our setup with Microsoft, when you combine the marketing benefits, the usability benefits, them helping out with dedicated servers... it just makes more sense [to us] for Gears Of War to remain an Xbox exclusive for the foreseeable future."

Bleszinski’s bombshell comes following Epic Games bigwig Mike Capps’ comments at GDC earlier this year, where Capps admitted he would “love” to see Gears of War make the transition to Sony’s black box.

Really? so making it more widely available and make more money to create new content doesn't?

Not really only company's that sale out like Insomniac says something like that.they don't need to sell on another console, they will sell more on 360 alone then if it was on the ps3 anyway.

It's a 360 game and will stay that way.

Not really only company's that sale out like Insomniac says something like that.they don't need to sell on another console, they will sell more on 360 alone then if it was on the ps3 anyway.

It's a 360 game and will stay that way.

That doesn't make any sense, what happened when Konami made MGS available for the Xbox? they moved more sales than just keeping it on the PS2. Forums were going crazy for months wishing Konami ported over MGS4. This is just an example of many console exclusives that would make more sales by opening to other platforms.

They moved a lot of copies for GeOW 1 on PC when released. I don't see how bringing them to PS3 will slow down their sales.