Ex Machina (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

IRON MAN

E.D.I.T.H.
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere
Release date: October 17, 2022
Purchase links: Collector's Edition - SteelBook Only (Pre-order on August 19, at 12 PM for Red Carpet, at 3 PM general sale - UK time)
Price: £39.99 (Collector's Edition) - £24.99 (SteelBook Only)
Notes: SteelBook has a zero varnish finish

13942378-1444980348208467.jpg

13942378-1494980348400239.jpg13942378-9964980348426513.jpg13942378-1144980348460242.jpg13942378-3504980347835552.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It has a matte/zero finish.
But unfortunately that steel will look no where as good in zero as it would in gloss. Can’t believe they advice against this. There’s times I think the people in scanavo have no f**king clue and it blows my mind. This proves my point. I have countless black and/ or red zero finish steels and the same with gloss and I know what looks better in hand and what pops. They should too.

Weren't we told, by @paulboland with direct quotes from Scanavo website, that Zero finish and Matte finish are different?
Maybe zero finish, if colored in thoroughly, without metal seeping through the paint, will look good, like something in-between gloss and streaky matte.

Maybe they advise against gloss, because they manage to scratch them all before they're even packed.

Weren't we told, by @paulboland with direct quotes from Scanavo website, that Zero finish and Matte finish are different?
They are different. Zero is a tad better but it all depends on how they use the couloirs and how thick the paint job is

The colours used on this front and back are rather unique. One side being colourful and the other having a deeper darker outline due to the red and black. Both have the opportunity to look fantastic in hand.
Maybe zero finish, if colored in thoroughly, without metal seeping through the paint, will look good, like something in-between gloss and streaky matte.

If it’s a zero varnish then it’s not in the middle but it’s a lot better than just matte. But even scanavo get the info wrong at times. If it’s a zero varnish then yeah it will be semi ok in hand. I think you can have zero matte too and they are poor. Unless it’s something else I’m thinking of. But if varnish has been used in the correct term then it may look ok
Maybe they advise against gloss, because they manage to scratch them all before they're even packed.

Well the premiums manage it. Manta always gloss. Blufans. Etc etc

Even tho scanavo hay have advised against it it’s still the universal teams decision. They probably advice the premium companies against it too.

And anyway, as I previously mentioned, nobody will be full gloss and debossing. Same team, yet that steel is dark too

Last edited:
Ooh-ooh-ooh, me-me-me!
Happy Cheer GIF by Minions

Sooo, what else is coming in such editions?!

Arrival yes, but Annihilation sucks.
I dunno why anyone is mentioning arrival and annihilation, they're by different studios lol we're talking universal here, those 2 are fox and paramount in the uk.

I dunno why anyone is mentioning arrival and annihilation, they're by different studios lol we're talking universal here, those 2 are fox and paramount in the uk.
I mentioned it because of the director Garland. Same as I mentioned Men. Fully aware from different studios. But would love editions like this for all 3

The same as I hope second sight continue eggers and tackle the lighthouse and the Northman after their incredible the witch

They are different. Zero is a tad better but it all depends on how they use the couloirs and how thick the paint job is

The colours used on this front and back are rather unique. One side being colourful and the other having a deeper darker outline due to the red and black. Both have the opportunity to look fantastic in hand.

If it’s a zero varnish then it’s not in the middle but it’s a lot better than just matte. But even scanavo get the info wrong at times. If it’s a zero varnish then yeah it will be semi ok in hand. I think you can have zero matte too and they are poor. Unless it’s something else I’m thinking of. But if varnish has been used in the correct term then it may look ok

Well the premiums manage it. Manta always gloss. Blufans. Etc etc

Even tho scanavo hay have advised against it it’s still the universal teams decision. They probably advice the premium companies against it too.

And anyway, as I previously mentioned, nobody will be full gloss and debossing. Same team, yet that steel is dark too
The only problem I have with ultra high gloss (like the Novamedia Grindhouse) is that they micro scratch so easily. Granted you can only see them in the right light at an angel but I was so careful with mine and just the slip and booklet managed to micro scratch the **** out of it with very minimal handling. I had only taken it out a handful of times.

Reactions: Lenny Nero
The only problem I have with ultra high gloss (like the Novamedia Grindhouse) is that they micro scratch so easily. Granted you can only see them in the right light at an angel but I was so careful with mine and just the slip and booklet managed to micro scratch the **** out of it with very minimal handling. I had only taken it out a handful of times.
We’ve been through this a million times. But yeah that can happen if you’re not careful. Never happens to me tho

Weet and some of the other collectors versions like this that have come out recently have a booklet and the envelope in the slip so when you originally open it and then put it back in you can sandwich the steel between the booklet and envelope. Put it all back in as one and it’s impossible to damage them. But for premiums that’s only really for weet and the odd other Kimchi edition

Its hard do understand why they would say Gloss would not suit the artwork because its too dark. I always think that darker artworks benefit the most of Glossy finish and i have a number of steels to back that off. Specifically with this artwork that Red would have popped off nicelly with a glossy finish. Plus if they are trying to brand these releases as premium they gotta listen to collectors and give us Premium finishes.. If it were up to me there would be no other finish for steelbooks, only gloss

I mentioned it because of the director Garland. Same as I mentioned Men. Fully aware from different studios. But would love editions like this for all 3

The same as I hope second sight continue eggers and tackle the lighthouse and the Northman after their incredible the witch
Fair, but unlikely in this scenario as disney and paramount uk slips at the moment make these universal and WB releases look like grails lol

Second sight apparently have first dibs on Northman, as eggers preference, but they've got no plans to release it at the moment.

Reactions: Flloydo
Fair, but unlikely in this scenario as disney and paramount uk slips at the moment make these universal and WB releases look like grails lol
True
Second sight apparently have first dibs on Northman, as eggers preference, but they've got no plans to release it at the moment.

Yeah. But I bet they do down the line. I’m not expecting it for 3-5 years anyway. But I reakon they will tackle lighthouse next year

Last edited:
Reactions: samdavies
Its hard do understand why they would say Gloss would not suit the artwork because its too dark. I always think that darker artworks benefit the most of Glossy finish and i have a number of steels to back that off. Specifically with this artwork that Red would have popped off nicelly with a glossy finish. Plus if they are trying to brand these releases as premium they gotta listen to collectors and give us Premium finishes.. If it were up to me there would be no other finish for steelbooks, only gloss

Kimchi’s It Follows is one of my favourite steelbook. Same as novas age of ultron. Mantas Us, nova death proof etc etc. The Theme? All dark glossy steels with vivid highlights or contrast of red and black.... in GLOSS.

They just don’t get it do they.

This is possibly one of the best examples I’ve seen that features all of that on two pieces of artwork. Absolute missed opportunity

Kimchi’s It Follows is one of my favourite steelbook. Same as novas age of ultron. Mantas Us, nova death proof etc etc. The Theme? All dark glossy steels with vivid highlights or contrast of red and black.... in GLOSS.

They just don’t get it do they.

This is possibly one of the best examples I’ve seen that features all of that on two pieces of artwork. Absolute missed opportunity
Another one that comes to mind, I Saw The Devil PA.

Another thing that if they are watching i would advise, when designing a steelbook, is to make sure the back flows with the front nicelly. The front and back on this one, as nice as they are on their own, are a such a huge department from one to another....

Having said that, i love that front artwork so much i wil still buy the steelbook only release.

Reactions: Lutzo
Another one that comes to mind, I Saw The Devil PA.
There’s loads really. Manta drive too. Nova apocalypse now...
Another thing that if they are watching i would advise, when designing a steelbook, is to make sure the back flows with the front nicelly. The front and back on this one, as nice as they are on their own, are a such a huge department from one to another....

That’s the point with this art though. It’s the same image. One has robot Ava (with the background as the facility) and one as human looking Ava blending in (with the background as the woods). Literally start and finish of the film. I love that design choice
Having said that, i love that front artwork so much i wil still buy the steelbook only release.

See if there was actual finishes involved instead of a zero finish steel and some UV spot gloss On the slip title then this could easily rival the manta Full slip package as a whole. It would be like an actual premium. Imo it has potential to be better as a finished product. And then that would justify cost

Instead the price is premium but apparently Scanavo talked them out of making it look good. I’m still processing this. I honesty still can’t believe what I read

I won’t accept anyone defending scanavo on this one. They are supposed to be the professionals. As a collector who has hundreds of these f**king things and actually opens them I’m more professional... I see this now

And if the person who went back and forth with scanavo about the finish does not collect steels or even held a naked steel in their naked hands then I’m done. People making these should be fans. None of these sets in hand have screamed “made with love”. Cool arts yeah. But end result is poor

I believe Scanavo has finally realized how easily their glossed steelbooks get scratched during production, handling, handing off for packaging and so on and that the scratches would easily be more visible on a steelbook like this Ex Machina steelbook with all of that darkness on the front.

So they probably recommend not using gloss so they don't have to hear complaints or possibly do reprints hoping that their recommendation will be accepted.

Then some studios like Universal still say "No we want the gloss" for Nobody.

I keep reading elsewhere how gloss steelbooks like the new Heat steelbook in the U.S. have scratches on the back.
I haven't heard about any scratches on the matte Heat steelbook in the UK.

All of this is just my own speculation.

I believe Scanavo has finally realized how easily their glossed steelbooks get scratched during production, handling, handing off for packaging and so on and that the scratches would easily be more visible on a steelbook like this Ex Machina steelbook with all of that darkness on the front.

So they probably recommend not using gloss so they don't have to hear complaints or possibly do reprints hoping that their recommendation will be accepted.

Then some studios like Universal still say "No we want the gloss" for Nobody.

I keep reading elsewhere how gloss steelbooks like the new Heat steelbook in the U.S. have scratches on the back.
I haven't heard about any scratches on the matte Heat steelbook in the UK.

All of this is just my own speculation.
Gloss has a more premium feel. Makes art look better. It’s worth the money. Just stop it will all this matte and scratching bullsh!t. There’s just no argument there. It’s better and feels more premium. Even spot gloss providing its a substantial amount of the image spot glossed is also fine.

If premium retailers didn’t make gloss steels there would be uproar. If they can still get gloss steels made and possibly warned against it by scanavo but still go ahead then so can the other studios. Simple

And US steels always have damage. Always. Again no argument there nor does it prove a point

Reactions: milky
Zavvi knows exactly what it’s doing here. It could of offered the film, maybe with a slipcase, for £30 or so.

The £55 price tag isn’t reasonable, it’s Zavvi making a bigger markup than they would had they just offered the steelbook alone. The risk from the company is higher, so they sure as hell wouldn’t be lowering their margins by offering the extras at a ‘fair’ price.

They’re making a bigger markup on the £55 edition than they would versus a standard release and are fleecing customers in the process with more money than sense who think buying the same movie yet again is healthy..

Reactions: Masterwu