Ex Machina (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

IRON MAN

E.D.I.T.H.
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere
Release date: October 17, 2022
Purchase links: Collector's Edition - SteelBook Only (Pre-order on August 19, at 12 PM for Red Carpet, at 3 PM general sale - UK time)
Price: £39.99 (Collector's Edition) - £24.99 (SteelBook Only)
Notes: SteelBook has a zero varnish finish

13942378-1444980348208467.jpg

13942378-1494980348400239.jpg13942378-9964980348426513.jpg13942378-1144980348460242.jpg13942378-3504980347835552.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I think this design (slip and steel) trumps all the premiums. Even the original WWA steel was better than the premiums ffs. Rare but it’s the case with this film

Okay the finish will be worse but design wise it’s exactly where I want it to be

Personally I think this design (slip and steel) trumps all the premiums. Even the original WWA steel was better than the premiums ffs. Rare but it’s the case with this film

Okay the finish will be worse but design wise it’s exactly where I want it to be
I just hope the overall package is really nice. I am a total sucker for a high quality slip, but cheap feeling slips are just the worse. I'm not expecting Novamedia quality, but like arrow quality would be nice.

Reactions: Flloydo
I just hope the overall package is really nice. I am a total sucker for a high quality slip, but cheap feeling slips are just the worse. I'm not expecting Novamedia quality, but like arrow quality would be nice.

From the sounds of it only the tiny title on the slip has a UV gloss. So I’m preparing to be disappointed in the finish.

Reactions: samdavies
The US disc has DTSX but no Atmos or Dolby vision so I'm expecting the UK disc to be the same...
I wouldn't.. totally different studios bud lol it's lionsgate in the US. Worth noting, the original lionsgate blu-ray also had dtsx and the universal one didn't. Universal are partial to dtsx 4ks, and occasionally slap hdr10+ on, so hopefully.

Reactions: leelee17
Uh, I wouldn't.. totally different studios bud lol it's lionsgate in the US. Also worth noting, the original lionsgate blu-ray also had dtsx and the universal one didn't. Universal are partial to dtsx 4ks, so hopefully.
Interesting...
The US disc looks and sounds pretty nice but will be interesting to see if we get a superior release in the UK...

The UK disc might be different anyway. I think the Leon UK release was better than US.
Different to what? USA? I know lol that's why I was asking :rofl:

I don't think Leon was better as such, particularly not to those who don't like the DC. It did have DV, if that's what you mean.

Different to what? USA? I know lol that's why I was asking :rofl:

I don't think Leon was better as such, particularly not to those who don't like the DC. It did have DV, if that's what you mean.
Yes Dolby vision sorry. cant check my Ex machina US import as I’m not at home but I know it looked great on my oled. Don’t remember it having Dolby vision but like I said the UK release might have regardless. i think it was released through a24 in a crappy thin case, so glad we‘re getting this considering it’s a basically British film. Just checked a review and said it’s not Dolby vision on the US disc. Fingers crossed for you if that’s what you want but I was more than happy with the way it looked.

Reactions: leelee17
Yes Dolby vision sorry. cant check my Ex machina US import as I’m not at home but I know it looked great on my oled. Don’t remember it having Dolby vision but like I said the UK release might have regardless. i think it was released through a24 in a crappy thin case, so glad we‘re getting this considering it’s a basically British film. Just checked a review and said it’s not Dolby vision on the US disc. Fingers crossed for you if that’s what you want but I was more than happy with the way it looked.
No, leon uk 4k disc had dv, whilest the usa 4k release from sony didn't. That's what i was talking about as you mentioned leon as an example.

Ex machina in the usa had a 4k from lionsgate. No dv, but it did have dtsx. The previous uk universal bluray didn't have dtsx (lionsgate usa one did), so that's specifically why I'm asking the universal rep about this one.

Reactions: Retro Parrot
Unfortunately the universal 4K disc does NOT have a dtsx track (like the lionsgate blu and 4k), it has the same dts hd ma 5.1 track as their old blu-ray. No Dolby Vision either. Not surprised.

• Wow
Reactions: MerlinT
Do you have the disc in hand? Because Universal actually advertised the disc to feature the DTS:X audio track.
bluray.com has the specs up for the German release but not the UK release, however, the German release does have DTS-X and can't imagine the UK release to be any different....
No Dolby vision on the Lionsgate release so I didn't expect this to have it either..
If this looks and sounds as good as the Lionsgate release I'll be more than satisfied...

Last edited:
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: jailbird_joey
Do you have the disc in hand? Because Universal actually advertised the disc to feature the DTS:X audio track.
I don't, no, and it turns out it does, I just in haste misinterpreted some info. It has an english (and german) dtsx track, however it's (apparently) inferior to the lionsgate track. It's also bitrate starved vs the lionsgate track, with 3,000kbps vs 5,500kbps.

The original steel trump's absolutely every release since. It's the one to own :thumbs: