Fans of Danger Mouse

Apr 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Danger Mouse's Next Album Will Be A Blank CD-R

Danger Mouse, the amazing mashup artist, producer, and half of Gnarls Barkley, is unable to release his newest album due to legal battles with his label, so he's embracing piracy to get his music heard.

After "legal battles," Danger Mouse's new album has been shelved by his label, EMI. But fearful that his work would never be heard, Danger Mouse came up with an idea to get his music out there while at the same time showing his anger at EMI. The album, entitled Dark Night of the Soul, will be sold as a "100+ page book" of photographs inspired by the music and taken by David Lynch, and will include a blank CD-R to be filled with torrented mp3s. All copies will be clearly labelled:

'For Legal Reasons, enclosed CD-R contains no music. Use it as you will.'

Danger Mouse made his name with a mashup of The Beatles' White Album and Jay-Z's Black Album titled, of course, The Grey Album, which was only available through non-commercial means, so this is a guy who despite his success is very aware of the state of music sales. Dark Night of the Soul is already available to stream for free from NPR, so it looks like Danger Mouse is going all out with his plan to thoroughly infuriate his record label.

gizmodo.com/5257670/danger-mouses-next-album-will-be-a-blank-cd+r

For a second there, I thought you were talking about an old cartoon I used to watch when I was a kid. Most of you are too young to remember this, but it was an AWESOME show. (At least it was when I was younger.)

Danger-Mouse-Posters.jpg

yeah.. record companies are pretty evil if they decide they don't like you. They'll shelve endless amounts of music just because they can... and of course it's their property then.

In some ways I'm glad we never got signed