Far Cry 2 Megathread - New Patch coming!

Jan 29, 2009
Far Cry 2 is a first-person shooter developed by Ubisoft Montreal and published by Ubisoft. It was released on October 21, 2008 in North America[3] and on October 23, 2008 in Europe[3] and Australia.[5] Crytek, developers of the original game, were not involved in the development of Far Cry 2.

Ubisoft has marketed Far Cry 2 as the true sequel to Far Cry, though the sequel has very few noticeable similarities to the original game. Instead, it features completely new characters and setting, as well as a new style of gameplay that allows the player greater freedom to explore different African landscapes such as deserts, jungles, and savannas. The game takes place in a fictional modern-day Central African nation in a state of anarchy and civil war. The player takes control of a mercenary on a lengthy journey to locate and assassinate "The Jackal," a notorious arms dealer. The gameplay of Far Cry 2 more closely resembles that of Grand Theft Auto rather than that of the original Far Cry.

Players have reported the game suffers from technical problems that greatly hamper both playability and progression which, to date, have yet to be addressed.

Gameplay is open-ended, with the player being able to ally with one or multiple factions and mercenaries and to progress through the game world and the missions as they see fit, resulting in a sandbox style of gameplay that allows the story to progress at the speed and in the order the player chooses.[9] The player can choose from a wide range of vehicles to make his way to the target, accommodating play styles ranging from head-on assaults to stealthy infiltrations. Instead of using individual maps, the game takes place in a sprawling African landscape, with terrain ranging from savannah to jungle.[10] The gameplay area is 50km2 (31 sq miles).

far-cry-2-03-l.jpg

The player's actions may also have a lasting effect because the character may interact with the environment: for example, one of the missions shown by the developers had the player sabotage a pipeline owned by one of the factions that is pumping fresh water from the lake to a neighboring country, exchanging it for arms and munition. After the player destroys it, part of the surrounding area becomes flooded, including a mine where another mission may take place.[11]

Various factions and vehicles are featured; enemies include human mercenaries, but sci-fi creatures such as the Trigens from Far Cry are not featured.[12] Furthermore, the player's feral abilities introduced in Far Cry Instincts and its expansions do not return in Far Cry 2. There is also a dynamic weather system that has a day-night cycle and different weather conditions such as storms and strong winds. The time of day also affects the behavior of AI, in terms of enemy alertness and aggressiveness; for example, an enemy might have a slightly heightened awareness at night, but be unable to see the player in hiding, while during the hot part of the day the enemies might be sitting in the shade in groups but easily spot the player from a distance.

Last edited:
Dude I have a strategy guide to this with the maps and info if you want it... but its packed, can mail it to you some time in June.

Dude I have a strategy guide to this with the maps and info if you want it... but its packed, can mail it to you some time in June.

What strategy do you need, answer a phone call from ur friend do the side mission, which makes main mission easier, boom kill people at main target.

There is only 24 missions, just beat the 4th, games just hasn't aged well.

Well when I was growing up, you know before cell phones ... oh thats right you wouldnt know. They were always called strategy guides even if you never truly used them for any such strategy. Has awesome maps with all the stuff located on it. But your good young whipper snapper.

Well when I was growing up, you know before cell phones ... oh thats right you wouldnt know. They were always called strategy guides even if you never truly used them for any such strategy. Has awesome maps with all the stuff located on it. But your good young whipper snapper.

lol. I haven't used a strategy guide in a long time, and I'm not going to invest enough time in this game to use it, but thanks for the offer. I can barely handle one mission a day, think I'm going to start FFXIII today.