Far Cry 2 Megathread - New Patch coming!

Jan 29, 2009
Far Cry 2 is a first-person shooter developed by Ubisoft Montreal and published by Ubisoft. It was released on October 21, 2008 in North America[3] and on October 23, 2008 in Europe[3] and Australia.[5] Crytek, developers of the original game, were not involved in the development of Far Cry 2.

Ubisoft has marketed Far Cry 2 as the true sequel to Far Cry, though the sequel has very few noticeable similarities to the original game. Instead, it features completely new characters and setting, as well as a new style of gameplay that allows the player greater freedom to explore different African landscapes such as deserts, jungles, and savannas. The game takes place in a fictional modern-day Central African nation in a state of anarchy and civil war. The player takes control of a mercenary on a lengthy journey to locate and assassinate "The Jackal," a notorious arms dealer. The gameplay of Far Cry 2 more closely resembles that of Grand Theft Auto rather than that of the original Far Cry.

Players have reported the game suffers from technical problems that greatly hamper both playability and progression which, to date, have yet to be addressed.

Gameplay is open-ended, with the player being able to ally with one or multiple factions and mercenaries and to progress through the game world and the missions as they see fit, resulting in a sandbox style of gameplay that allows the story to progress at the speed and in the order the player chooses.[9] The player can choose from a wide range of vehicles to make his way to the target, accommodating play styles ranging from head-on assaults to stealthy infiltrations. Instead of using individual maps, the game takes place in a sprawling African landscape, with terrain ranging from savannah to jungle.[10] The gameplay area is 50km2 (31 sq miles).

far-cry-2-03-l.jpg

The player's actions may also have a lasting effect because the character may interact with the environment: for example, one of the missions shown by the developers had the player sabotage a pipeline owned by one of the factions that is pumping fresh water from the lake to a neighboring country, exchanging it for arms and munition. After the player destroys it, part of the surrounding area becomes flooded, including a mine where another mission may take place.[11]

Various factions and vehicles are featured; enemies include human mercenaries, but sci-fi creatures such as the Trigens from Far Cry are not featured.[12] Furthermore, the player's feral abilities introduced in Far Cry Instincts and its expansions do not return in Far Cry 2. There is also a dynamic weather system that has a day-night cycle and different weather conditions such as storms and strong winds. The time of day also affects the behavior of AI, in terms of enemy alertness and aggressiveness; for example, an enemy might have a slightly heightened awareness at night, but be unable to see the player in hiding, while during the hot part of the day the enemies might be sitting in the shade in groups but easily spot the player from a distance.

Last edited:
"During the upcoming days our team will be preparing the arrival of our new patches with a massive update on our data server.

The first change you'll be able to notice will be on the leaderboards, in fact we will change the magic formula we are using in order to provide more accurate results.

A few players will experience a slight boost, and some would have a slight decrease in experience corresponding to a correction between our different databases. This will also prevent the use of exploit allowing certain player to accumulate massive amount of experience in a few matches."

Hopefully there's alot more to the update than just leaderboard crap. I still wish you didn't have to re-start at the beginning of where you last stopped in for a game save. Sometimes I'd play an hour or so and die and I would lose everything I just did in that hour. That kind of sucks.

Hopefully there's alot more to the update than just leaderboard crap. I still wish you didn't have to re-start at the beginning of where you last stopped in for a game save. Sometimes I'd play an hour or so and die and I would lose everything I just did in that hour. That kind of sucks.

This is still wrapped for me.. But that's sad to hear about the checkpoint issue, kind of makes me not want to play.

Well, it just pisses the hell out of me. It made me not play it as long because it was frustrating.

You have these little house checkpoints placed throughout the world that you go into to save your game from that point. The problem is, that you can spend alot of time playing the game but if you die before making it to a new save spot or the previous save house you lose everything you just did. For example, you have to go on missions or you can go searching for diamonds etc and if you die it doesn't save any of that. It just makes it really retarded. The game is really fun other than but that makes it too frustrating sometimes.

Well, it just pisses the hell out of me. It made me not play it as long because it was frustrating.

You have these little house checkpoints placed throughout the world that you go into to save your game from that point. The problem is, that you can spend alot of time playing the game but if you die before making it to a new save spot or the previous save house you lose everything you just did. For example, you have to go on missions or you can go searching for diamonds etc and if you die it doesn't save any of that. It just makes it really retarded. The game is really fun other than but that makes it too frustrating sometimes.

sounds lame.

Id love for them to do some updates to make this game WHAT it could've been .... cause the map editor is totally off the hook and cool, they got that down pat... multiplayer was decent but it was a lil sluggish. I just dont like open world games where I gotta drive around to get somewhere, maybe I wouldnt care if the driving was as fluid as say BFBC ... but Im starting to think as an adult gamer linear games are fine by me ... I dont like getting and wasting time as im just trying to finish the game. :D

I wasnt feeling this game.. Looked incredible, super graphics, but I just didnt enjoy playing it! I might get in to it again, but it looking like it will be a trade in soon :p

Reactions: ocielz
i get lost easily, the driving is horrible.

The driving was making me really dizzy. they could've done a lot better job with that. But, I like the game nonetheless.

It's funny how picky we are as PS3 people. lol. We complain about almost every game out there and then word travels and then the games don't sell nearly as well. See Killzone 2. The hype around that game should've led to it selling like 3 million by now but the controls were bugging people and it didn't sell nearly as well as it was hyped up to sell. 1.3 million or 1.4million which is has sold is really good but it was expected to sell more than that at this point in time.

WARNING: Far Cry 2 is still a broken game.

On October 14, 2008 Far Cry 2 went gold - meaning the game was fully completed and sent to printers. One week later on October 21, 2008 Far Cry 2 was released in North America by Ubisoft. With an average Metacritic score of 85 - across the 360, PS3 and PC platforms - Far Cry 2 has received praise for emergent gameplay in an open world African setting. With a pretty kick ass multiplayer mode and rather robust map editor included in each version, it’s not hard to see why Far Cry 2 is a triumph in the FPS genre. We sat in our room looking at the game on our shelf the other night and couldn’t figure out why the game we wanted to play for months wasn’t currently in our 360. And then we remembered the bad news: the game contains severe game-ending bugs in every version available.

The other bad news? Ubisoft and developer Ubisoft Montreal have not released any sort of official statement or humble apology - outside of forum community developers desperately trying to save face - to the gamers who purchased the game at $60 (it’s being sold at $39.99 now for PS3 and 360).

We couldn’t find any hard numbers, but in a press release dated November 12, 2008 put out by Ubisoft, the company claimed one million units sold worldwide at retail in less than 3 weeks of release. Imagine how well the game sold through the holidays and to now, April 2009.

So what of these game-ending bugs? They all lie within the numbers: 27 percent, 62 percent, 73 percent, 88 percent. These are the most common percentage completes reported by forum users where their game has gone tits up. The issues include: the game freezing on the opening loading screens, the game freezing on the way to an objective, not being able to access missions through your partners, and the always handy times when you save your partner from certain death… only for him to get up and kill you instantly.

The most insidious aspect of many of the show-stopping bugs involves a critical mission-giving NPC just disappearing from the world. However, since you can do many missions in any order you want, it’s possible to not even know an NPC has disappeared until long afterward, and for many players the bug isn’t clearly apparent. Many forum posts ask “What have I missed?” or “What am I doing wrong?”

When an NPC vanishes while you’re not looking, you may just assume he isn’t supposed to be there until you complete some other objective. That’s when the real kicker comes in: once you do know you’ve encountered one of these bugs, it’s possible to get around it by loading an earlier save game - one that’s been saved at some point previous to the disappearance. The problem is, what if you haven’t kept multiple saves, or simply enough multiple saves? Or, let’s say you do have enough saves to go back - you’ll still have to sift through them trying to find the right one, and even then you’ll have lost potentially hours of progress because the NPC disappeared before you completed any number of side missions.

Also note that there are multiple common points in the game where these bugs occur, which means even if you get around one of them, it’s possible to encounter yet another one at some point further down the line.

To give you the gravity of the situation, let’s examine Far Cry 2’s design. The game was designed as an open-world sandbox situation, similar to Grand Theft Auto in that you can take missions in any order you want and have multiple ways to complete objectives. Not only that, but you can choose from one of multiple characters to begin the game with, and the others you don’t choose act as your buddies throughout the campaign. And of course, your choices affect your overall game experience. That’s a hell of a lot of game to fine tune and to give the devs credit, not an easy task at all.

Interestingly enough, the post by Community Developer kimi_ in the official Far Cry 2 forums started November 4, 2008 is titled “Save game freezing? Buddies attacking you? Stuck at xx%? *potential spoilers*”. This thread was started as a way of collecting data and saved games in order to pinpoint the exact issue. Let’s repeat the chain of events so far: the game went gold on October 14, 2008, the thread about freezing issues was started on November 4, 2008. And the press release about the game selling a million copies worldwide went out November 12, 2008. Just several weeks after the game was reported “done”, a thread on the official forums about glitches was created by a Ubisoft employee. This suggests somebody knew about these bugs already.

So you don’t think we’re blowing smoke, head on over to the official Far Cry 2 forums and search just how many threads have been started by forum members about corrupted game saves or game freezes. Let’s give you a head start: here for 360 owners, here for PS3 owners, here for the dedicated for the save game issue, and here for a title update, which was announced January 12. If you don’t like clicking around, take a look at some of these posts from Community Developers kimi_ and Atmon.

January 12, 2009
“We are happy to announce that we collected some information to share with you about our upcoming Xbox 360 patch.

This patch will include a lot of improvements especially on the multiplayer side; with better browsing features, more multiplayer game options, and other new additions in order to let you play the game, the way you want.

Please take note that this list is just a preview showing element that are currently done. Other elements in polishing will be revealed soon.”

There is zero mention of a patch to fix the bugs.

January 14, 2009
In response to these questions posted on the forums regarding a multiplayer patch:

1) Why did Ubisoft release overpriced DLC for a game that does not work?
2) Why have multiplayer fixes been prioritized over the broken single player game?

“1) For comment on the DLC feel free to use the dedicated thread.
2) Our top priority has always been fixing bugs, other adding content. Therefore this work is separate in different teams. So even if our top goal is to ensure that everyone is able to play the game in good conditions, we still want to maximize our community experience on the game, that's why we are doing our best to take everyone's opinion into account

When it comes to bug, nothing is that simple. It's not like adding content our improving an engine. It’s about finding out why a problem occurs, how it occurs, and then solves it. So we are definitely using our resources to work on that, and we hope we will be able to correct those problems ASAP.

Thank you for your patience.”

January 22, 2009
“A lot of you are wondering what is happening with the corrupt save bug that causes the player to get stuck at a couple of different completion percentages. Ever since we received the first feedback on this from our support team and forums we’ve being investigating the issue.

As usual our primary objective was to collect as much relevant information as possible through forums, customer support and so on. We managed to gather a lot of corrupted save games from console and PC users. Unfortunately, all of that data wasn’t helping to understand how the corruption occurs, only what the effect of the corruption was. After trying different hardware and settings for weeks we recently managed to reproduce the bug on a development kit. We are currently repeating the same steps on retail consoles and on PC. After that, we will be able to move on to the next stage where our studio team works on a solution for all platforms.

We fully appreciate that it’s a frustratingly long wait for those of you experiencing this bug. We’re keen to resolve this issue for you as soon as possible and we are absolutely committing all the resources we can towards achieving this.”

March 5, 2009
“We are still working on getting the title update out to you, but wanted to give you a quick update on the corrupt saved game issue. We have been working on it since it was first reported, and are happy to report that the issue has been identified. We are working on incorporating a fix into the upcoming title update, however please be advised that the fix *may* only be for new saves created after installing the TU. We understand that it is frustrating to lose all those hours put into a saved game (believe us, we ourselves have had to physically play to the point of corruption over and over during troubleshooting), and thank you for your patience as we worked to identify the cause. More information on the fix will be available when the TU is ready for release.”

Apparently, you may need to restart the entire game in order for the title update to work correctly, or rather, in order for you to play the game without fault (hopefully).

March 12
“This new patch wave will features some major change on our engine, with weapon balance, hardcore mode, improvements on servers and database (and some other features we will reveal soon).

It means a lot of work and testing on our side (all improvements will be share by Xbox 360, PC, PS3), the good news is that we are done with our tests, and we will be able to share a release date with you soon.

I just want you to know that our team is working hard in order to provide a solid patch to increase your multiplayer experience.”

March 13
“Beyond that, there’s no further new information about [the title update patch] but we’ll get it to you for sure as soon as things are set.”

April 1
Community Developer Atmon did respond to a private inquiry of ours, stating
“An update is still on track with several new features and enhancements, as well as fixes like any good big patches.”

After reading those posts we can discern: a representative from Ubisoft reported on the issue being fixed in a post dated March 5. The post indicates that the patch (which would hopefully fix the broken game) was being held from release, so as to incorporate it into a title update for the system. A week later on March 12, an update about the patch/title update indicated major changes to the game and that a release date would be shared soon.

Why would a patch that would fix a game be held from release? Why not release the patch now and the title update later? Why a simultaneous release? Actually, this release leads us to think that Ubisoft may plan on charging for the update. After reading this article, we shouldn’t have to tell you to be appalled by that thought.

But something else is fishy here: how come the reviews (including our very own score of 9) don’t mention any outstanding bugs like those mentioned? To be honest, we're willing to bet everyone who reviewed the game never experienced the bugs we mentioned. And to be fair, the bugs don’t occur in every single copy of the game. But based on these findings we propose a post-launch reduction of the score across all platforms and all publications.

Other precedents of faulty hardware and software include: Microsoft spending over a billion dollars in pre-tax money to up everyone’s Xbox 360 warranties to 3 years after the red ring of death issues (took 18 months) and Nintendo’s Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess cannon room glitch, which was fixed by replacing the discs (took 5 months). May we suggest a similar call on Ubisoft’s part?

We know many talented people sunk months into making a great game. We just want to be able to see that great game and not get screwed over like so many gamers have already.

http://www.gamesradar.com/f/warning-far-cry-2-is-still-a-broken-game/a-2009040710122446016/p-4

In other news: Ubisoft continues to deliver by patching their hit title Far Cry 2 to support game launching in Home. So be sure to visit the Far Cry 2 space to meet up with new people to launch into the multiplayer version of this groundbreaking FPS, and keep your eye on the official PlayStation Home Clubs and Events forums at PlayStation.com for more details about the special Far Cry 2 game-launching events we have planned for later this week.

In other news: Ubisoft continues to deliver by patching their hit title Far Cry 2 to support game launching in Home. So be sure to visit the Far Cry 2 space to meet up with new people to launch into the multiplayer version of this groundbreaking FPS, and keep your eye on the official PlayStation Home Clubs and Events forums at PlayStation.com for more details about the special Far Cry 2 game-launching events we have planned for later this week.

i finally gave in and traded it in .... theres just no way I could see myself going back and playing this when I have Red Faction. All the mechanics shoulda been how Red Faction made them.

So far this game is just junk. Horrible Sound, Horrible Voice acting, even worse sensitivity. Why is the up and down so slow but left and right insanely fast....

We will see how far I go in this game. I just finished the first mission and don't see the complaints about saving so far. I've saved at the Guy who saved me house, at my safehouse and at the house i just took over to save an outsider... Seems like you just need to find those blue save cases.

Hopefully the game gets better.

Haha good luck man, awesome map editor, everything else ....... nooooooo.

Anyone even play MP anymore?

Haha good luck man, awesome map editor, everything else ....... nooooooo.

Anyone even play MP anymore?

You are the one that told everyone to get it. i got it as a Christmas Present as the parents had gotten everything else on my list. I'm just now getting around to it almost 1.5 years later. Only 4% in, going to try to beat it over the week, but so far it is just a horrible game.

I wouldnt call this a horrible game. I like it except as I got further along I would play for quite awhile and would then die right before a save house. I just got too frustrated re-doing everything when I couldn't make it to a save spot.

Sometimes I would play for like an hour without saving and then would get killed right as I'm about to get to the save spot. Couldn't take it anymore. NOt sure why Ubisoft couldn't patch that.

You are the one that told everyone to get it. i got it as a Christmas Present as the parents had gotten everything else on my list. I'm just now getting around to it almost 1.5 years later. Only 4% in, going to try to beat it over the week, but so far it is just a horrible game.

I didnt tell everyone to get this one, thunda was interested in it then I got interested in it... I thought the map editor was awesome as hell, and it was. Only about 5 of us ever got it.

I wouldnt call this a horrible game. I like it except as I got further along I would play for quite awhile and would then die right before a save house. I just got too frustrated re-doing everything when I couldn't make it to a save spot.

Sometimes I would play for like an hour without saving and then would get killed right as I'm about to get to the save spot. Couldn't take it anymore. NOt sure why Ubisoft couldn't patch that.

I'm just saving whenever I see a save spot, because of those stories you guys keep saying. The only time I've gotten shot it, is when I went to the wrong part of the map.