Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Release date: 7th September 2015
Purchase links:
Zavvi
HMV UK
HMV IE
Price: £19.99 (HMV UK) - £22.99 (Zavvi) - €24.99 (HMV IE)

1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Zavvi over charging a lot for this one, new or not, considering how much the others were too, not going to order this, :greedy: :meh: I may go with the empty German steelbook release for this one.

Reactions: harry
It will be a new movie release, its not a catalogue title. New movie releases on bluray usually go between £15 - £19 so im surprised you guys are surprised.

You surely cant expect them to sell this for £12.99 when it will be a new movie release. I mean sure anything over £20 is a bit much, but considering its a steel, i dont mind paying the extra.

Reactions: justhedudeman
It will be a new movie release, its not a catalogue title. New movie releases on bluray usually go between £15 - £19 so im surprised you guys are surprised.

You surely cant expect them to sell this for £12.99 when it will be a new movie release. I mean sure anything over £20 is a bit much, but considering its a steel, i dont mind paying the extra.

You surely don't think they pay £20 for this film and sell it for 23.50. They get it for £5-7 (because of the bulk order) and sell it for a very healthy profit.
£15 would be an ideal price but if it has the same design as previous 6, I wouldn't pay more than £13.50 for it. Everything else is just a scam and I don't want to be part of that.

You surely don't think they pay £20 for this film and sell it for 23.50. They get it for £5-7 (because of the bulk order) and sell it for a very healthy profit.
£15 would be an ideal price but if it has the same design as previous 6, I wouldn't pay more than £13.50 for it. Everything else is just a scam and I don't want to be part of that.

Of course, i know they get it cheap but this movie will be around £17 when released on amaray as its a new movie title, so i dont get why people think they should sell it for £12.99 the same as the others, this will be a new release the others were catalogue titles hense why they are cheaper., i dont mind paying the extra £6 for the steelbook.

Do you work in the industry or did you just make up those numbers? I doubt Zavvi make anywhere near that kind of markup.

Do you work in the industry or did you just make up those numbers? I doubt Zavvi make anywhere near that kind of markup.
Yeah I don't believe the profit margin is anything like that. There's lots of other companies who take a cut. The studios, publishers, manufacturers. I'm sure there's a profit in it but it's certainly not as high as some may believe. That said I think new release titles shouldn't be any more than £20. If you pay £15 for the Amaray I think a £5 premium for the steel would be fair.

I'm passing on this especially at that price

I cancelled a while back before release date the previous steelbooks due to available funds
No way I'm pre ordering at this price €31.95 Euro
This steelbook will after release have a huge price drop so I will decide then to pick it up

The steelbooks 1-7 are getting releases in lot of countries so I will at some stage I will get all of them at a cheap price

The trade price on a new amaray of any given film sold for £20 starts at about £14-16 so the profit is quite small.

Actually, I don't work in the industry, but I do have an extensive knowledge of price markups.
Zavvi has at least 100% (mark my words) pure profit from steelbooks and amarays.
And i'm not talking out of my a**, that's just the way it is. They wouldn't sell bluray films if they'd make only 10 or 15% profit. It's not worth it.
Any good businessman will understand what I'm talking about :)

• Helpful Post
Reactions: liam freedman
Actually, I don't work in the industry, but I do have an extensive knowledge of price markups.
Zavvi has at least 100% (mark my words) pure profit from steelbooks and amarays.
And i'm not talking out of my a**, that's just the way it is. They wouldn't sell bluray films if they'd make only 10 or 15% profit. It's not worth it.
Any good businessman will understand what I'm talking about :)

Agreed they make at least 50-100% profit easy on new release's

I used to work in a fast food chain as a manager years ago. The cost of our onion rings portions were 8p. Sold for 99p, at the time. Fountain coke drinks very similar.

Not saying it's anything like the same, but it's how big companies work. They get economies of scale when ordering 2000 copies of an item.

The Lucy steelbook was up at nearly £30 after release and only now down to £15. If they were paying £15 for those they wouldn't be selling them at that now. So I'm guessing their cost was closer to £10 on those ones. So £30 was some markup on that one. I believe the pre-order was less, but still.

I used to work in a fast food chain as a manager years ago. The cost of our onion rings portions were 8p. Sold for 99p, at the time. Fountain coke drinks very similar.

Not saying it's anything like the same, but it's how big companies work. They get economies of scale when ordering 2000 copies of an item.

The Lucy steelbook was up at nearly £30 after release and only now down to £15. If they were paying £15 for those they wouldn't be selling them at that now. So I'm guessing their cost was closer to £10 on those ones. So £30 was some markup on that one. I believe the pre-order was less, but still.

This is completely irrelevant you don't take into account Zavvis total costs such as the cost of warehouse, utility bills, staff wages etc.

End of the day it's about a company paying staff its wages and making a small profit for themselves, if Zavvi were making mega bucks they wouldn't have folded in the high street. It is also very possible that Zavvi do sell many products at a loss just to clear stock before getting new goods in.

When you talk about the cost of a drink being 8p factor in the additional costs too and look at the bigger picture and when you see the profit loss margins you might not think life is so easy running your own place

Yup, back on topic - £23 for basic steel (no 3D, not a big name like Disney/Marvel) is taking the Michael.
Better off buying the empty German steel and then buying the disc a couple of months down the line from Asda for under a tenner.

Reactions: javiermendoza