Final Fantasy 7 (FFVII) remake

Apr 17, 2009
San Diego, CA
Will there be a FFVII remake? Not "yet," says Square

Square Enix duo Yoshinori Kitase and Motomu Toriyama have said that the firm is not actively working on a Final Fantasy VII remake, though conceded the pair still discuss the project between themselves from time to time.

Speaking to VG247 at GamesCom last week, the Final Fantasy XIII developers recommended that eager fans instead turn their attention to the recently released PSN version of the popular RPG classic to quell their hunger.

Speaking via a translator, they said, “There’s not official project that’s up and running for a remake of Final Fantasy VII at this point. Both Toriyama-san and Kitase-san were involved in the development of the game, however, and it holds a special place in their hearts. They do talk about it on a personal level, like, ‘If we did it it would be like this or like that.’

“So, they do talk about it, but there’s no official project yet. But there’s that PSN release that just came out, so if you could play that for the time being, it should be fun.”

Speculation on a FFVII remake first cropped up during a technical demonstration at E3 2005, which depicted the opening of the game running on PlayStation 3 hardware. However, Square has insisted that this was never intended to be a fully blown remake. Still, we live in hope.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not holding my breath on this one, it'll happen eventually. Square is not dumb enough to not continue capitalizing on the bestselling FF in their entire history :) I know I'd be giggling like a little girl if they decide to make it lol :p:D

No Final Fantasy VII Remake

In the recent issue of Famitsu magazine, there was a large section featuring Final Fantasy VII’s Cloud Strife and squashed rumors of a Final Fantasy VII re-make. The magazine shows a glimpse of games that he will be appearing on as a cameo, but Nomura says not to expect a full revival of the beloved classic anytime soon.

With Final Fantasy VII being one of the most highly requested games to be revamped, Nomura’s statement will surely disappoint the core fans of the series, and classic gamers in general. With a slew of games slated for 2010 (including FFXIII and Dissidia Final Fantasy), Square Enix certainly has plenty to offer, but as far as revisiting the glory days of FFVII… don’t wait around.

On a brighter note, one of the main highlights in this particular issue of Famitsu is how Cloud Strife’s life began, and also shows the year he was born and for the rest of the characters. Damn, they really love Cloud Strife!

justpushstart.com/2010/01/23/no-final-fantasy-vii-remake-says-nomura/

It will get remade. Someone, can't remember who but it's posted somewhere on these forums, said to enjoy the PS1 PSN release for now. That and other hints show that it's being talked about, just not in the works right now.

square obviously doesn't want to make millions of easy dollars. but honestly, as much as i hope we get a remake, i don't think we ever will

Nomura: Still No FFVII Remake,but Maybe Cloud Cameos

Square Enix designer Tetsuya Nomura reiterated the no-plans watch for a Final Fantasy VII remake any time soon, although it would take much more than the nuanced way he said it to put to rest the speculation on this game.

In the current Famitsu, Nomura, who designed the game's much-beloved characters, says:

Fans are looking forward to an oft rumored remake of FFVII, but I don't believe this will happen for the time being. However, it's possible that he will appear in other titles as a guest character.

So, "for the time being," isn't a "no way, never," but it's indefinite enough that Final Fantasy VII fans are just going to have to play the PSOne original. That said, the potential for cameo appearances by the protagonist of this cherished game is something to look forward to.

They are never going to do a remake I suppose it's time to make peace with this. lol :D

No PS3 FFVII remake as game's "style" is too hard to translate to HD

That good ‘ol Final Fantasy VII PS3 remake train just keeps on rolling but never getting anywhere. In the latest slew of reasons as to why Square isn’t likely to churn out a swanky HD makeover of the seminal PSX classic comes word that the game’s “style” is simply too tricky to replicate on PlayStation 3.

Apparently, it all comes down to rendering the many towns that inhabit FFVII’s sprawling landscape, which would prove something of an arduous task for the development team to accomplish.

“It is a result of considering HD graphics will be the mainstream. Considering the amount of work to make graphics that deserve HD, it is hard to make towns in the conventional style,” commented Square’s Motomu Toriyama, during a chinwag with Ultimania Magazine.

Yoshinori Kitase also chipped in on the matter, adding: “It is very hard to make games on PlayStation 3 in the same style as the games in that era had. Making graphics will take enormous time.”

No doubt this won’t be the last we’ll hear on a potential FFVII PS3 remake. Watch this space.

man, every time i read about square i like them even less and less. "too much work"? guess its too much work to give what the fans they want.

man, every time i read about square i like them even less and less. "too much work"? guess its too much work to give what the fans they want.

Not only that, but they are giving millions and millions of dollars in possible revenue. I mean FFVII is still selling to date! that's 13 years of sales of the most popular title they have!

FFXIII producer interested in "more complete form" of FFVII

Square Enix has yet again touch on the subject of revisiting the late 90s epic Final Fantasy VII, with Yoshinori Kitase telling the chaps at GameTrailers that he would welcome the idea of a “more complete form” of the PSX RPG.

Speaking in a special feature dedicated to the history of the franchise, Kitase commented: “I’m really interested to see this more complete form of Final Fantasy VII portrayed more realistically with the voice and animation and all the suttle expressions there.”

Apparently, the Final Fantasy XIII producer doesn’t get at all cheesed off with people broaching the subject with him, adding, “I’d be interested to see that and to make that, it would be a great experience. I don’t get tired of people asking that question, so I’ll continue to answer my thoughts as long as people keep asking.”

Of course, this latest development comes not long after Kitase and partner in crime Motomu Toriyama claimed that FFVII’s style would be too difficult to replicate in HD.