Flatliners (1990) (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Mill Creek Entertainment) [USA]

tridon

Est. 2011
Dec 5, 2011
Thunder Bay
Release date: September 26, 2017
Purchase links: Best Buy - Amazon
Price: $17.99 (Best Buy) - $10.59 (Amazon)

Screen Shot 2017-10-05 at 1.30.19 PM.png

flatliners.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone jog my memory but was the painting 'The Creation of Adam' by Michelangelo featured in the film?
IMG_6510.JPG

Also, bargain bin BD's in Mondo style steelbook packaging! Lol

1488Bpp

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: tridon
Oh wow. Had no idea the new one is a remake. Which one should i watch first?

Are you referring to the steelbook pictured above? It's a new steelbook but of the old movie judging by the actors' names on the front. And personally I think it looks awful.

Can someone jog my memory but was the painting 'The Creation of Adam' by Michelangelo featured in the film?
View attachment 325311

Also, bargain bin BD's in Mondo style steelbook packaging! Lol

1488Bpp

:LOL:

I thought that cover art looked familiar! I am intrigued by the Mondo-style packaging, though. Very cool that this looks to have a clear slipcover.

I've actually never seen the original either. I hear it's pretty bad, but the cast is excellent, so... I think it's one of those films where you have to make your own opinion.

• Thanks
Reactions: AlienKing

:LOL:

I've actually never seen the original either. I hear it's pretty bad, but the cast is excellent, so... I think it's one of those films where you have to make your own opinion.

@tridon, the original's hovering around 50% on Rotten Tomatoes - i enjoyed the original for what it was, but then i did see it when it first came out, and since then haven't watched it in ages. maybe that tells its own story. :meh: @AlienKing always watch the originals first! :thumbs: no idea what the remake will be like!

Are you referring to the steelbook pictured above? It's a new steelbook but of the old movie judging by the actors' names on the front. And personally I think it looks awful.
Sorry, no i wasnt referring to the steelbook. I was referring to the movie. There is a movie coming out this year called Flatliners which i was interested in seeing in theatres. Until I saw this thread, i had no idea it was a remake. So i was wondering which one i should watch first. I have no interest in the original, but it seems to have a good cast.

As for the steelbook, i cant say i'm a fan of the art...

Yea nice cast but if the movie is bad i dont wanna waste my time.
I was originally interested in this because of Ellen Page and Nina Dobrev :rofl::hungry:

@AlienKing always watch the originals first! :thumbs: no idea what the remake will be like!
Yes, i almost always do if i know it's a remake. But I feel like it wont matter for this movie...

Sorry, no i wasnt referring to the steelbook. I was referring to the movie. There is a movie coming out this year called Flatliners which i was interested in seeing in theatres. Until I saw this thread, i had no idea it was a remake. So i was wondering which one i should watch first. I have no interest in the original, but it seems to have a good cast.

Well I saw the original movie in theatres a couple of times when it was released and I enjoyed it.

But someone seeing it for the first time 25 years after it was released might not enjoy it.

I'm somebody like that when it comes to movies. Usually when I see an older movie for the first time, I often don't see what the big deal of it was and I don't get out of it what somebody who saw it when it was new does. Usually similar movies have been made since with better stories, or better action, or more modern effects or just a better overall look to it.

But I'm probably in the minority on that.

• Thanks

Looks like the new one is part remake, part sequel. I'd recommend watching the original first.

http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1540549/the-weird-reason-the-new-flatliners-isnt-really-a-remake (might be spoilers)

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Well I saw the original movie in theatres a couple of times when it was released and I enjoyed it.

But someone seeing it for the first time 25 years after it was released might not enjoy it.

I'm somebody like that when it comes to movies. Usually when I see an older movie for the first time, I often don't see what the big deal of it was and I don't get out of it what somebody who saw it when it was new does. Usually similar movies have been made since with better stories, or better action, or more modern effects or just a better overall look to it.

But I'm probably in the minority on that.
I cant say you're in the minority. However, I wont say every movie is like that, but yes, there are movies which are like you say. I guess it all dpends on the movie and who's watching. Some movies dont age well, and some do. For example, i saw The Thing last week for the first time and wow!, for a 35 year old movie, that thing has not aged at all. I thoroughly enjoyed that movie and when you do enjoy a movie like that, you dont think about when it was made...

Looks like the new one is part remake, part sequel. I'd recommend watching the original first.

http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1540549/the-weird-reason-the-new-flatliners-isnt-really-a-remake (might be spoilers)
That's interesting. I didnt read through the whole article but i got the idea that one of the original cast is returning. So yea, i guess it's a soft-reboot or whatever you wanna call it...

I cant say you're in the minority. However, I wont say every movie is like that, but yes, there are movies which are like you say. I guess it all dpends on the movie and who's watching. Some movies dont age well, and some do. For example, i saw The Thing last week for the first time and wow!, for a 35 year old movie, that thing has not aged at all. I thoroughly enjoyed that movie and when you do enjoy a movie like that, you dont think about when it was made...

That's interesting. I didnt read through the whole article but i got the idea that one of the original cast is returning. So yea, i guess it's a soft-reboot or whatever you wanna call it...
I saw this in theater too when it was released. It was definitely one of those movies where I thought it was a great idea, not fleshed out fully. (I found the "horrors" and their payoffs quite maudlin.)
It was fairly early in Joel Schumacher's directing career - and Bruce Joel Rubin was a hot writer at the time for these types of paranormal scripts (he also did similar themes in JACOB'S LADDER and BRAINSTORM and the original draft of GHOST).
I also hear that the new movie is a quasi-sequel as some characters from the first film have roles.
**btw- Mill Creek is famous for releasing movies with really low, sh*tty bit rates. The equivalent of buying a VHS movie in SLP 6 hour mode, or an upconverted 480i DVD.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
I saw this in theater too when it was released. It was definitely one of those movies where I thought it was a great idea, not fleshed out fully. (I found the "horrors" and their payoffs quite maudlin.)
It was fairly early in Joel Schumacher's directing career - and Bruce Joel Rubin was a hot writer at the time for these types of paranormal scripts (he also did similar themes in JACOB'S LADDER and BRAINSTORM and the original draft of GHOST).
I also hear that the new movie is a quasi-sequel as some characters from the first film have roles.
**btw- Mill Creek is famous for releasing movies with really low, sh*tty bit rates. The equivalent of buying a VHS movie in SLP 6 hour mode, or an upconverted 480i DVD.

In their defence, I got a handful of their releases (Pulse, Hudson Hawk, Hollow man 1 & 2 and Deep Rising) and all of those have been pretty decent BD's.

Their copy of Flatliners is exactly the same transfer as the Sony one (with the benefit of having MPEG4-AVC coding over the Sony MPEG2 ancient codec) but dropped the PCM 5.1 audio for Dolby Digital 2.0 instead (which was across a range of Sony titles they licenced at the time). Mill Creek only work with what they are licensed with at the end of the day. The studio is known for bargain price titles and shouldn't expect anymore from them. So this Steelbook announcement has come as a surprise to everyone really.