Fox Searchlight Signs Guillermo del Toro in Overall Deal

tridon

Est. 2011
Dec 5, 2011
Thunder Bay
From ComingSoon.net:

guillermo.jpg

Fox Searchlight Pictures Presidents Stephen Gilula and Nancy Utley announced today that Fox Searchlight Pictures has signed a deal with Academy Award-winning director and writer Guillermo del Toro (The Shape of Water, Pan’s Labyrinth, Crimson Peak) that covers live-action feature film projects to be written, produced, and/or directed by del Toro. Fox Searchlight is creating a new, soon to be named label which will serve as a home for projects in the horror, sci-fi, and fantasy genres, including those produced and curated by del Toro, whose films will be financed, marketed, and distributed by Fox Searchlight Pictures.

Del Toro said: “For the longest time, I’ve hoped to find an environment in which I can distribute, nurture and produce new voices in smart, inventive genre films and channel my own. In Fox Searchlight, I’ve found a real home for live-action production — a partnership based on hard work, understanding of each other and, above all, faith. After the wonderful experience I had with Fox Searchlight on The Shape of Water, I am honored to have the opportunity to continue the relationship. I am more than grateful to Nancy, Steve, David and Matthew for their trust in me and for joining me on this adventure.”

Utley and Gilula added that they were able to observe first-hand del Toro’s work as a director, writer, producer, and overall creator during the production of The Shape of Water, saying that they “believe in him and the vision for a new Searchlight label” and that they are eager to “embark on this journey” with him.

David Greenbaum and Matthew Greenfield, Fox Searchlight Pictures’ Co-Heads of Production, said that del Toro is a “brilliant filmmaker” and a “passionate collaborator, curator, and advocate for other artists. Working with him on this new label, focused on the highest quality projects in the genre space, allows Searchlight to expand our reach to new filmmakers and new audiences around the world.”

The first film in the pipeline will be Antlers, a story about an elementary school teacher who takes in a troubled student that harbors a mysterious family secret with deadly consequences. The film will be directed by Scott Cooper with a script written by Nick Antosca and Henry Chaisson, based on the short story The Quiet Boy by Antosca. Del Toro, David Goyer, and J. Miles Dale will produce, with Kevin Turen serving as executive producer.