Fox to make all future movies Ultra HD with High Dynamic Range

berns

Premium Supporter
Mar 1, 2012
Lisbon - Portugal
Copied from the article at Joblo.com

"The next battle in the Format Wars is heating up as the first film studio has committed to a particular successor to Blu-ray. 20th Century Fox has announced that all of their future film releases will be released in Ultra High Definition (UHD) with High Dynamic Range (HDR). With the prevalence of 4K televisions on the rise, Fox has set the bar for everyone to follow suit. They will also remaster recent releases in UHD/HDR such as X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST and THE MAZE RUNNER.

While there is a group known as the UHD Alliance who are working on determining the agreed upon specifications for HDR amongst all studios, Fox's decision to begin the process will potentially compete with Dolby's Dolby Vision HDR format which Vizio is set to begin manufacturing televisions with. To be clear, these decisions are specific to the home video market. Theater-owners are still a long way from adopting this technology for theater use, although IMAX is beta testing it already.

The gap in digital quality is shrinking at a quicker pace than ever before. Not even twenty years ago, the shift from VHS to DVD led to the demise of the video store. Then, Blu-ray and HD-DVD duked it out for supremacy and now there are some calling the time of death on movies on any form of physical media. With TVs beginning to showcase film better than some movie theaters, the cinematic experience is changing faster than the industry can keep up with it.

There is still no clear answer on what HDR will mean for the common consumer, but expect more news like this to follow over the next few years.

"
This is what 4k/HDR looks like:

Am I being thick I watched the footage and didn't see anything special. What was I supposed to be seeing? I saw no difference between the normal footage and the HDR footage

Am I being thick I watched the footage and didn't see anything special. What was I supposed to be seeing? I saw no difference between the normal footage and the HDR footage
HDR increases the contrast so the colours should be better. You can see the colours get richer in the HDR sections. It's the same as the HDR option on cameras.

I was watching it on a big 32 inch HD monitor (a pro one at that) and I was hard pressed to see the difference and I have very very good eye sight.
There was no WOW factor or anything making me go "Wow!"
In fact the HDR looked over bright to me and the colour looked no different that just turning up the colour control on your TV

Original 4K content looks amazing. I hope more movies gets shot in 4K. But I'll pass on everything during this "transition" stage (with the upscaling and re-releases and what-not)

That first video tries to show the difference of regular vs hdr but honestly it fails a bit in showing that. But if you research about HDR, its been arround for a while on photography and it actually improves a lot an image.

The technique combines an underexposed shot with a overexposed shot and creates a high contrast image that is sure to transform even the dullest photo in a rich and vivid shot. There are other videos out there explaining HDR so if you research a bit you will see what it does.

Also that first video is only in 480p. I attached the second video which you can watch in 4K quality and its all shot in 4K/HDR (its dosent show the diference, just shows you that quality of image)

Reactions: Wreck
I took a picture with the HDR feature on my iphone of a piece of chipboard for comparison. Compare the non HDR with the HDR pic, Spot the differences? (You may have to enlarge the picture)

HDR Off:
image.jpeg

HDR On:
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Copied from the article at Joblo.com

"The next battle in the Format Wars is heating up as the first film studio has committed to a particular successor to Blu-ray. 20th Century Fox has announced that all of their future film releases will be released in Ultra High Definition (UHD) with High Dynamic Range (HDR). With the prevalence of 4K televisions on the rise, Fox has set the bar for everyone to follow suit. They will also remaster recent releases in UHD/HDR such as X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST and THE MAZE RUNNER.

While there is a group known as the UHD Alliance who are working on determining the agreed upon specifications for HDR amongst all studios, Fox's decision to begin the process will potentially compete with Dolby's Dolby Vision HDR format which Vizio is set to begin manufacturing televisions with. To be clear, these decisions are specific to the home video market. Theater-owners are still a long way from adopting this technology for theater use, although IMAX is beta testing it already.

The gap in digital quality is shrinking at a quicker pace than ever before. Not even twenty years ago, the shift from VHS to DVD led to the demise of the video store. Then, Blu-ray and HD-DVD duked it out for supremacy and now there are some calling the time of death on movies on any form of physical media. With TVs beginning to showcase film better than some movie theaters, the cinematic experience is changing faster than the industry can keep up with it.

There is still no clear answer on what HDR will mean for the common consumer, but expect more news like this to follow over the next few years.

"
This is what 4k/HDR looks like:

DVD is alive and well and expanding daily with many titles never reaching Blu Ray.

Blu Ray is alive and well and the catalogue is expanding daily.

4k is a niche market and wil remain so until it dies.

It will die because of the impossibilty of regular 4k broadcasting (due to lack of capacity, bandwidth, and the total disinterest of broadcasters in spending many billions on upgrading the worldwide standard. They won't even spend the money to allow for widespread 1080p broadcast, so 4k is merely a pipedream!

Another reason it will die is because the manufacturers will move on soon to another cash cow to drum up sales.