Mondo Funko Buys Mondo

Nov 5, 2018

From Mondo blog:

By now you may have heard that Mondo has a new parent company: Funko. Let’s talk about it.

For 20 years, we have poured our heart and souls into this weird little thing that Rob Jones and Tim League started in a closet in the corner of an Alamo Drafthouse lobby... then out of a closet underneath the seats of a Drafthouse auditorium (seriously). Eventually, we opened our own gallery space, and even started our own convention.

We have always loved following our passions and doing things our own way, and we’ll be forever thankful to the Alamo Drafthouse for supporting those passions and helping us grow into what we are today. But we needed a bigger boat... and that’s where Funko comes in. They understand what Mondo is today and are eager to help us become the company we want to be.

From the outside, Mondo might seem like it is changing... but on the inside much is staying the same. We remain the same team, and our goals remain unchanged. We are still the same bunch of weirdos who share an undying obsession with popular (and maybe less popular) culture, and a craving to make cool stuff with the best artists in the world.

We are still the same company that started in the theater lobby... only now with even more resources to support our vision. We can’t wait to show you what’s next.

- (Still) Your friends at Mondo.

Last edited:
That’s just f**king weird. Not happy about that personally. Funko over saturate everything. Oh well. Bye bye mondo

That’s just f**king weird. Not happy about that personally. Funko over saturate everything. Oh well. Bye bye mondo
I mean it somewhat makes sense in a way. Like after Alamo went Bankrupt and restructured, I guess Tim wanted to focus on the theater side and Mondo was growing. On the other side Funko has the collectibles community plus they have branched out with LoungeFly and Funko Games

Reactions: Flloydo
I mean it somewhat makes sense in a way. Like after Alamo went Bankrupt and restructured, I guess Tim wanted to focus on the theater side and Mondo was growing. On the other side Funko has the collectibles community plus they have branched out with LoungeFly and Funko Games
Funko do have a huge community but I also don’t think Mondo need to worry about that side of things. So much sells out instantly. But it is what it is. Just checked social media and seems a lot aren’t happy with it. My issue with Funko is they over do everything. Every single character and person in popular culture and beyond has a poxy pop vinyl. Then there’s the infinity of variants and the designs that look like it could be any character etc. Watch every print and vinyl go from 2 or 3 variants to 12. Like Invada with stranger things and drive lol

Im a huge fan of mondo (stuff) but I’m not an avid mondo user anyway (can’t afford it most the time). I collect the odd vinyl here and there - got a sweet collection of those, a print or 2 and the mondo X steelbook line so overall it won’t affect me.... fingers crossed. As long as the shop does free world wide shipping every fall each year (lol saves me a ton) and the mondo X line continues I’m happy. If that stops because of Funko takeover then I won’t be.

But for now:

4F1070BB-5554-4AA2-BFE7-82638A751B71.jpeg

Mixed feelings. I don't want to make any rash judgement but it just feels a bit wrong to me. I hope things won't change too much but I don't believe that will be the case.

all the Mondo staff seem outwardly excited. I'll have to wait and see what happens I guess...

I don't like all that Mondo does but there's been a lot that I've been interested in for a variety of reasons.

Art direction, attention to detail, "trying to get it right"....

Reactions: digitalbabe_LV426
all the Mondo staff seem outwardly excited. I'll have to wait and see what happens I guess...

I don't like all that Mondo does but there's been a lot that I've been interested in for a variety of reasons.

Art direction, attention to detail, "trying to get it right"....
definitely the staff seems happy about it. only time will tell how it all plays out

Reactions: apsmith21