Future for 4k collecting?

David Seto

Premium Supporter
Nov 24, 2014
what is your thoughts on the uncoming approval if the 4k format next year, how many older titles do you think you will see released in 4k, or do you think we will only see new titles for a couple years? just wondering how over the next year or two how it is going to affect everyone collecting of blurays, i am sure years down the road there if the 4k has the calling like bluray it will get to the stage of collecting like bluray is now, but not too sure if it will catch on like 1080p has.

@David Seto I dunno man. I made a similar post to another thread on this sub-board. I worked at FYE for almost a year, and short story is a lot of people do not know what blu-ray is or do not understand it. A lot of, will this work on my dvd player at home questions. I know a lot of us are pretty tech-savvy and understand these things but the general public? Nah. It'll be interesting to see where/what the future holds. I'm just hoping my steelbooks won't be useless because they invent a new disc haha

nicblue

so true , it is amazing how many folks don't know what bluray is for the general public, i agree and hope that it doesn't drive down the vaule of bluray steelbooks, but i am curious if 4k will take the same roadmap on release as bluray, i have read several articles debating both sides that previous and current titles being able or not being able to be release in true 4k (not remastered). there are some that say only movies recorded on 4k can be release, and there are others that say most all titles original format is already above 4k. not sure which one to believe, but it does to an extent make sense that most tiles in there original format are already in a format higher then 4k.

but i really hope as well our steelbooks hold there vaule forever, i am more then happy with my 1080p!!

I'd say unless 4k is region free it's dead in the water as regional coding has been a serious killer for physical media. It's actually cost sales instead of increasing them. It's done the studios no favours........

Reactions: Nightcrawler
4K will be awesome, but i made the mistake of jumping into new tv tech's early (3D, 1080p, 100hz) and getting shafted as better revisioned tv's came out.

So im playing the 4K waiting game and will pounce when its alot cheaper.

Tech wise I will certainly upgrade my television to a nice 4K capable screen just to watch native 4K videos on youtube or what ever.

In regards to purchasing films, i'll stick to 1080p if it's cheaper.

The jump in picture quality isn't big enough in my opinion. Say for example the way it was from DVD to Bluray.

For that reason alone I think 4K won't be as popular as Bluray is.

Reactions: C.C. 95
4k brings a whole wealth of problems especially regarding old films in terms of restoration. So unless serious money is spent (unlikely) 4k is really only going to be off benefit to current cinema releases. I just don't see the point in upgrading when I'm more than happy enough with current blu-ray. To make maters worse apparently you only really see the benefits of this new format on 60 inch screens or above and since certainly in the UK most screen sizes don't go above 50 inch it seems a bit pointless.
I certainly can't see me go above a 50 inch screen.

I own a KD-65X9005B and blu-rays look stunning upscaled to 4k on it so I won't be replacing any of my blu-rays for 4K versions. Will only buy new releases in 4K!
I don't think 4K is going to catch on like 1080p Blu-ray has, I mean most of my friends don't even own a blu-ray player and are still buying DVD's!
I also hope that when they do release 4K blu-rays the cases are the same size we currently have!

personally think 4k maybe worth holding off atm tbh as they is working on 8k atm and as i just read in one thread some just paid £10k for a 4k projector is that sort of money we really want to be paying? i know its well out of the range of the normal person.

http://www.techradar.com/news/telev...pe-and-the-sharpest-4k-tv-you-ll-find-1278888

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/forget-4k-lgs-98-inch-8k-tv-window-future-weve-waiting/

be intresting to see where this goes and how prices will fall on 4k once the 8k starts coming along in 2016.

basil :thumbs:

Reactions: David Seto
Totally depends on how they bring 4k into the market.
I guess they will bring it as some kind of "premium" media at first, but i'm not quite shure if i'll jump on the train from the beggining on..
Depends on if i have upgraded my equipment by then lol

well a lot of the movies soon to be released in 4k are actually 2k upgraded to 4k. thats a fail right there. sony are releasing true 4k blu ray movies but are now holding back releasing a 4k blu ray player. ill sit this mess out till they get it sorted out.

Just a basic question in relation to upcoming 4k blu's, which will very likely also mean UHD steelbooks:

How will that be covered within HDN? Will there be seperate UHD steelbook section within the Steelbook section? I know there are none of these announced yet, but it will probably only be a matter of time.. :)

Just a basic question in relation to upcoming 4k blu's, which will very likely also mean UHD steelbooks:

How will that be covered within HDN? Will there be seperate UHD steelbook section within the Steelbook section? I know there are none of these announced yet, but it will probably only be a matter of time.. :)
I can't see that happening for a while. I think it will be a long time before we see any Ultra HD's released in special packaging. Once they do it will be decided which is the best way to do it.:)

It's the same old problem of the manufacturers running away with themselves trying to shift 'product', long before the market has caught up.
As I point out often, DVD is alive and well, and new titles are added every day of the week - both new and old, films and TV.
Very many more films haven't got a DVD release yet, more still haven't got a Blu Ray release.

So wil 4k every be anything more than a passing fad in a niche market? Very doubtful indeed.

And as has been pointed out, if you watch TV on anything below a 60 inch screen (approximately 85% of the market) then you are wasting your time and money with 4k.

"A total of 45 Ultra HD titles have been released on Blu-ray Disc since March — and according to Home Media Magazine market research, consumers bought more than 228,000 discs as of June 24.

By comparison, Blu-ray Disc, launched in June 2006, moved just 57,000 units in the comparable time frame."

http://variety.com/2016/digital/new...s-numbers-exceed-disc-predecessor-1201804322/

We're seeing steelbooks with 4k discs, slip covers we've never seen before. As far as collectibility goes, yes, I think there is a future. You can buy a 4k tv and player for pretty affordable prices, all depending on which models you are looking at of course. I think this will help sales of the disc format and that should result in more collectable versions imo.

"A total of 45 Ultra HD titles have been released on Blu-ray Disc since March — and according to Home Media Magazine market research, consumers bought more than 228,000 discs as of June 24.

By comparison, Blu-ray Disc, launched in June 2006, moved just 57,000 units in the comparable time frame."

http://variety.com/2016/digital/new...s-numbers-exceed-disc-predecessor-1201804322/

We're seeing steelbooks with 4k discs, slip covers we've never seen before. As far as collectibility goes, yes, I think there is a future. You can buy a 4k tv and player for pretty affordable prices, all depending on which models you are looking at of course. I think this will help sales of the disc format and that should result in more collectable versions imo.

to be fair, if i recall most Blu-rays didnt come with the DVDs as well where the UHBDs come with Blu-rays as well. HD DVD had quite a few combo packs tho. But I do think the biggest factor has been that the TVs have been so cheap compared to the past.

to be fair, if i recall most Blu-rays didnt come with the DVDs as well where the UHBDs come with Blu-rays as well. HD DVD had quite a few combo packs tho. But I do think the biggest factor has been that the TVs have been so cheap compared to the past.

The tv's and the players cost less. I think the first blu ray player was $1k when it was first released. I think the Samsung UHD player was $400 at launch. You're right about the early blu ray discs. It made it a harder upgrade since if you didn't have a blu ray player or hdtv, it made no sense to really buy a blu ray disc with no dvd. Kind of why I liked HD DVD!