Future TVs - Overall thought

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
The future is crazy ... 3mm tvs are coming with OLED ... 3 MILIMETERS!! PEOPLE!!!

Our kids are going to look back at our old tube tvs and think we are insane!

But here is the debate ... To me, thin and new is sleek ... but when is it too thin?

An LCD/Plasma wall mounted doesnt stick out much , and in my eyes, it sticks out just enough appropriately .... No one wants a TV to fall but if it does, It may survive ... can the same be said about some 3MM TVs? I seriously doubt it ... one bang of any sort has to be hurting the inside if you dont see any significant external damage already.

So in reality ... Do you really think this will become the norm in the future? TVs this thin? ... I mean I understand the OLED ... but id be happier with an OLED on a 3 inch personally.

The future is crazy ... 3mm tvs are coming with OLED ... 3 MILIMETERS!! PEOPLE!!!

Our kids are going to look back at our old tube tvs and think we are insane!

But here is the debate ... To me, thin and new is sleek ... but when is it too thin?

An LCD/Plasma wall mounted doesnt stick out much , and in my eyes, it sticks out just enough appropriately .... No one wants a TV to fall but if it does, It may survive ... can the same be said about some 3MM TVs? I seriously doubt it ... one bang of any sort has to be hurting the inside if you dont see any significant external damage already.

So in reality ... Do you really think this will become the norm in the future? TVs this thin? ... I mean I understand the OLED ... but id be happier with an OLED on a 3 inch personally.

I think they will stop with picture frame width for Consumer TV's, but the OLED of 3mm, will go into laptops, making them cheaper and more efficient.

I could see 3mm going into the consumer line, but only because it would be cool to roll up your TV and move it.

OLED is the way to go man, believe it, it's the future your can't prevent it from happening I know it will suck if you drop your ultra thin TV, but is that the manufacturer's fault or yours?

OLED is the way to go man, believe it, it's the future your can't prevent it from happening I know it will suck if you drop your ultra thin TV, but is that the manufacturer's fault or yours?

Of course it's the manufacturer's fault Horhay! :D

not the future....BUT right now you guys see the new Panasonic Z1??

Retail price is 6 grand,1 inch Thin,1080p Plasma,Wireless hdmi with no picture degrade...

panasonicz1.jpg

What ever happened to SED or FED TV technology that was basically a CRT, but without it's flaws? Almost everyone I know loves their old tube TV's and I do admit that it did look good from all angles as well. The only technology at this time is Plasma. OLED may do this as well, but who is going to pay $11,000 for Sony's 11inch screen?

Another possibility is LED's. These last between 50,000 and 100,000 hours without them blinking out supposedly.

Now I'd love to try out Mitsubishi's Laser Vue TV's, but it seems there refresh rates are only 120Hz. Plasma is 600 Hz. The LCD's are now 240, but still not viewable like Plasma. I hear the Laser TV's are stunning to look at and almost seems like they are twice as bright.

Then we have something coming out later on. I'm not sure what it is called exactly, but they are basically doing what I saw on the Nature Channel. A butterfly that was Blue colored, basically refracted light on the nano-scale. It was color specific and all you saw was Blue. Since it did not absorb any light at all and was reflected back at you, you saw the best Blue you've ever seen. Do that with RGB or whatever they are doing and you will have the best color pics and you wouldn't need much of a power source either.

Plus @ PS Hero. Doesn't Wireless HDMI seem to early to say without degrading picture? How far away are we talking? What is the maximum range of Wireless HDMI? Without knowing these factors......everyone is not going to get crystal clear pics if they are trying to transmit from Basement to 3rd story bedroom. They might, but nothing I've seen so far (wireless or otherwise) would convince me, unless I saw it with my own eyes. That and every house, Apartment, Condo, Townhome and such are all different and I've installed many homes with cable and wireless internet, so yes, I am an expert of sorts with those. I even remember that HDMI cables cannot travel very far yet either, but not sure about that last one. This is not a put down either, just throwing in what I know.

Last edited:
I think the hologram TV's are gonna be awhile. Probably when I am long dead. Who knows though. Technology is taking off rather fast nowadays. Go technologies!!!