G1 vs. G2 - The Steelbook Debate

What size of Steelbook do you prefer- (G1-DVD size) or (G2-Blu-Ray size)?

• G1

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • G2

Votes: 159 94.1%

• Total voters

BluRayJunkie

Steelbooks Anonymous
Premium Supporter
Mar 23, 2010
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
OK folks, there has been a lot of chatter back and forth about G1 vs. G2steelbook cases. Frankly, I am surprized that a so many of you have such a dislike for G1's. I thought it would be nice to have a thread where everyone can vent about likes or (mostly) dislikes. So heres what I would like to know. Will you buy G1 cases and most importantly WHY do you feel that way.Most of you know I have collected for years and started collecting steelbooks when they first came out. Before that, Future Shop gave away a number of metal slipcases free with the purchase of the movie. All it had was the Future Shop logo and the name of the movie printed on. The first steelbooks just blew me away. I haven't stopped since. When BD steelbooks came out, I bought those too. At the time I was disappointed that they were a smaller size, but I liked them both.
So I have NO PROBLEM with a G1 case. G1 cases have had a tendency to be embossed more often. They are every bit as beautiful IMO. Value has nothing to do with it for me. I consider myself a steelbook collector. And steelbooks come in different sizes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Problem I have with G1s is that they look odd as in over sized on my shelf next to my G2 collection. They look sweet if you just have G1s on your shelf but over sized dvd cases are not for me they look dated.

Bluray-good thread-thanks for starting this one up!:)

You may have a slightly different perspective, as you collected other G1 cases before. But for those that never collected G1's, the size difference can be annoying for "some", since they only popped up occasionally, but now have increased in frequency. Buyers have responded, and some titles, even G1 Expendables at FS are getting clearanced, and collectors have said loud and clear that they prefer G2's.

I personally never collected DVD or G1 Steelbooks, but do own a few of them, and a few G1 Blu-Ray Steelbooks. Usually, this is because I like really like the movie, or because there was no G2 release announced until until later.

I love the look of Blu-Ray Steelbooks and their uniformity, and rarely ever buy a DVD or DVD sized case anymore (though we own 1000+ DVD's from years past). Since we know G2's can be manufactured (every other country has released them, though they are more proximate to G2 facilities), it's annoying to me, when they opt for a cheaper version, thinking collectors will buy it regardless, as long as it's in a Steelbook.

More importantly though, the fact that every other geographical area can release them (facilities are avail), and we're still seeing G1's from major retailers in North America for high profile titles is not acceptable to me. Since G1's are cheaper to manufacture and more are popping up, it seems some studios are just using them for cost cutting reasons, despite the fact that most collectors seem to prefer G2's.

In my opinion a studio as large as Universal, for instance, retailer as popular as Futureshop (and who knows-maybe we'll see it at Best Buy, USA which owns FS), which released traditionally "unique" and "exclusive" Steelbooks should have come to common ground for the large majority of the collector community which seems to prefer G2 Steelbooks. Though the studio makes the final decision as they pay the bill, I firmly believe they "skimped" with this one. My beef is not with FS (as long as they don't start releasing them all in G1 cases). In my opinion the more we accept them,the more they'll come, because "obviously, they're selling...".....

Last edited:
Great thread. I prefer G2 since that is the correct size for Blu-ray packaging. I associate the G1 size with DVD packaging, not just with SteelBooks but with anything other than box sets.

Having said that, I got into SteelBook collecting with Blu-rays about ten months ago, so I don't come from the background of a DVD SteelBook collector.

From my view, G1 SteelBooks look too big. :)

For me aesthetically G1's just don't look right. They are big and bulky. That's fine for dvd's but NOT Steelbooks. After I saw the The Expendables steelbook (even though I got it for free) I disliked it so much I gave it away :)

And to echo what Terry44 said you also can't have that on a shelf next to amaray or g2 size steals either.

To each his own though!!

---------- Post added at 11:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

From my view, G1 SteelBooks look too big. :)

+1 100%

I'm not a huge fan of G1, but to be honest ... if I treat them like digibooks and give them their own shelf in my rack (since my rack is adjustable) they wont look that bad. Like most people tho, I typically like my stuff uniform. If they are rare tho, that does give them an added appeal to me .. and throw in the fact that BRJ is right in that they tend to emboss/deboss more like that is not a bad thing at all.

---------- Post added at 08:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 AM ----------

From a sales standpoint, at least in the collector community. If G1's become a pretty often thing, what's to stop me from just buying G1 dvd steelbooks at very cheap prices and then just sticking my blu-rays inside them. I think its important for the studios and retailers to understand that if they plan to sell blu-rays already released (plastic versions available) then going G2 makes more sense. If it became common practice I could just buy up DVD versions and make "converts" for a fraction of the price.

The first steel I ever bought was The Bone Snatcher DVD, G1 sized. I thought it was beautiful and kept looking out for more but never found them. I am an avid movie collector. When VHS was hot I had over 4000 pre recorded movies, then DVD came out and VHS was no longer good enough for me. I had to give the damn things away.

I went on my merry way collecting DVD's, and brought my collection up to almost 2000. Then about three months ago I bought my first BLU Ray player. OMG. I could not get rid of the DVD's fast enough. I am officially a Blu Ray snob now.

Now the sick part is regular blu rays are no longer good enough. I have to have steel. And G2 only. I ordered "New Moon" when I opened the box and and pulled it out, man was I pissed. The 2 G1 size steels are like the red headed step child (no offense) in my collection.

Having a G1 Blu-Ray Steelbook is like putting a CD in a Record Sleeve. Makes no sense.

G1 = DVD , G2 = Blu-Ray (why is this so hard for studios to figure out?)

And while i have been swayed before because of the art and embossing (Looking at you Expendables). When I have all my Blu-Rays stacked together it looks so odd having this giant steelbook in the middle of all of them. I've been temped many times to just put it with my dvds.

I know some people like G1, but does ANYONE here actually prefer it?

Great thread. I prefer G2 since that is the correct size for Blu-ray packaging. I associate the G1 size with DVD packaging, not just with SteelBooks but with anything other than box sets.

Totally agree.

I've no interest in their value, I just enjoy picking Steels up. It's a hobby. They're pretty. :]

It seems backwards to package High Definition in something used to package Standard Definition. If they used the correct steel packaging for the corresponding disk, this probably wouldn't be up for discussion.

I don't support the release of G1 steels and never will.

G1 = DVD = 2000
G2 = Blu-Ray = 2011+...
What's that hard to understand?

I've got two shelves. One for my Blu-ray and the other for DVD/TV series. With the time, the DVD have been reduced in size because I've upgraded pretty much 90% of my collection to Blu-ray. I'm getting rid of dvd so no way I'll buy brand new G1 cases and be stuck with them in the future.

I have no interest in G1, it's time to evolve. There's no need to continue cutting corners if G2 is already available. The market has shown that G2 sells with the right titles and proper marketing.

Then again stores like Futureshop can push G2, but the final word comes from the studios who most likely are looking to save as much money as possible.

but the final word comes from the studios who most likely are looking to save as much money as possible.

And that's the problem, IMHO. The studios can choose to save money or make money, its up to them. I know I'll be saving my money when they choose to print G1s. :D

I do prefer G2, but I'm not going to turn away a G1 if it looks nice. Tangled MX is one of the most beautiful steelbooks out there.

Steel, the cost for G1's is less-much of it has to do with where the current manufacturing facilities are located. But, we can only hope this changes...

G1 = DVD = 2000
G2 = Blu-Ray = 2011+...
What's that hard to understand?

I've got two shelves. One for my Blu-ray and the other for DVD/TV series. With the time, the DVD have been reduced in size because I've upgraded pretty much 90% of my collection to Blu-ray. I'm getting rid of dvd so no way I'll buy brand new G1 cases and be stuck with them in the future.

I couldn't agree more. The reality though is DVD's are still around, and are unfortunately still a selling point, which is why G1 cases exist and DVD's are still bundled with blu rays. If the DVD technology was officially succeeded by blu ray, we wouldn't be having this debate. With that said, I have left DVD's in the dust. Plus, I love the aesthetics of blu ray cases compared to DVD cases. To me, it's not a matter of misplacement on my shelf, it's just a matter of taste.