Gaya Resin Statue Fix

Thoth

Contributor
Premium Supporter
Jul 28, 2019
United Kingdom
Hello,
I’ve recently purchased a Gaya Resin Statue of William Birkin from Resident Evil.
Sadly the statue was damaged in transit. I have zero experience in this field and I am wondering if this can be fixed easily, eventually not by me but by some professional. The hand can be attached back to the arm quite easily with some glue as it goes inside the arm but am worried about the fingers getting back.
Should I even try to get it fixed or would it be better to return and get a refund. It’s quite rare and hard to find and I would like to have it but at the same time I am also thinking to wait until another on will be up for sale and buy a mint one.
Attached photo.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 83FABEA2-8B63-40EA-B6CB-5ACA56330576.jpeg
    83FABEA2-8B63-40EA-B6CB-5ACA56330576.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 205
@Thoth @Savage Clown is probably your man on this mate :thumbs: He is pretty damn good at all this sort of stuff:D

Man I think I want to send it back. It wasn't exactly cheap and for this condition I'd rather have it sent back. I paid £260 for and for like £100 more I could get a mint one.

My problem now is with the seller as he doesn't seem to want it back. He keeps pressuring me into accepting it with the damages for a partial refund of £50. He even said that because it's a fragile item if I have to return for sure it will get damaged more and if that happens we will be in a pickle as he needs it back same as I received. As if item became fragile only after it reach me, it wasn't fragile when he had to sell it.. I paid for something and received it damaged so he should be taking it up with the postal services.

I paid through PayPal goods and services so I should be covered but I never had a return through PayPal. I don't even know how to start one. Any idea if I have to open a dispute?

Cheers

Reactions: Robles
Looks as though he has it covered @Robles . Sorry to hear about your sculpt @Thoth . If you are interested in repairing it because it's resin you'll need Cyanoacrylate Adhesive or super glue. If you paid that much money for it personally I would not keep it and have it returned and get your money back, another will eventually turn up and then you can nab that one.

Reactions: Thoth and Robles
@Thoth WOW, yeah for what you paid mate I agree with @Savage Clown . You should definitely try and get your money back.
When it comes to PayPal mate I’m not really sure how that would work, I don’t really use it mate if I’m honest. Might be best to give them a call and I’m sure they will be able to advise you on what to do as like you said it hasn’t turned up in the condition that it was clearly advertised and it’s an expensive item. I personally wouldn’t be going down the partial refund route.
Hope you get it resolved tho mate and manage to pick one up in the future.:thumbs:

Thanks guys, yeah will call PayPal and check with them how to approach the dispute so I open the dispute under the correct terms for my situation.

Reactions: Robles
So I ended up agreeing to a partial refund of £110 and decided to keep. I suppose £150 is not too bad if I could get it fixed and I could sell it for about 100-150 again if I can get my hands on a mint one. It’s only 400 ever made so quite rare to come across.

@Savage Clown Hey man! Would appreciate some suggestions regarding the fix.
Attached photos of the faults.
As you can see the hand is quite easy to attach back to the arm so it’s mostly the fingers which are a bit more difficult to fix since they so thin.
Also, if you notice one of the claws has a crack in it. It’s not detached yet but I reckon if it gets hit it might fall off. What would be best way to reinforce it? Drop some glue in the crack or break it off and attach back after?

Cheers!

Attachments

• C6101382-2B79-4813-A404-F8764012484B.jpeg
    C6101382-2B79-4813-A404-F8764012484B.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 208
  • 76EA37EA-DADF-4DFD-86CF-E7ABB5CDEEAB.jpeg
    76EA37EA-DADF-4DFD-86CF-E7ABB5CDEEAB.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 192
  • 4247F0CD-E4B8-4D09-AA23-553EBE7181ED.jpeg
    4247F0CD-E4B8-4D09-AA23-553EBE7181ED.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 177
So I ended up agreeing to a partial refund of £110 and decided to keep. I suppose £150 is not too bad if I could get it fixed and I could sell it for about 100-150 again if I can get my hands on a mint one. It’s only 400 ever made so quite rare to come across.

@Savage Clown Hey man! Would appreciate some suggestions regarding the fix.
Attached photos of the faults.
As you can see the hand is quite easy to attach back to the arm so it’s mostly the fingers which are a bit more difficult to fix since they so thin.
Also, if you notice one of the claws has a crack in it. It’s not detached yet but I reckon if it gets hit it might fall off. What would be best way to reinforce it? Drop some glue in the crack or break it off and attach back after?

Cheers!
Get you some Cyanoacrylate glue preferably the Bob Smith Insta-Cure. It's thin and can seep into cracks real easy unlike Gorilla glue or Loktite glue, there too thick and leave a mess. I would not break that piece off because it could break or splinter off even more. Use the CA glue as I suggested and it can run into the cracks and just make sure you have it where you want it because the thinner the glue is, the quicker it sets. You have anywhere from 3-6 seconds for this stuff. BSI have some other glue that cures in under 3-seconds and it's like water it's so thin but I wouldn't use that because it cures too quick.

Reactions: Thoth
Get you some Cyanoacrylate glue preferably the Bob Smith Insta-Cure. It's thin and can seep into cracks real easy unlike Gorilla glue or Loktite glue, there too thick and leave a mess. I would not break that piece off because it could break or splinter off even more. Use the CA glue as I suggested and it can run into the cracks and just make sure you have it where you want it because the thinner the glue is, the quicker it sets. You have anywhere from 3-6 seconds for this stuff. BSI have some other glue that cures in under 3-seconds and it's like water it's so thin but I wouldn't use that because it cures too quick.

Thanks, will do. 3-6 sounds good, don't want anything too quick in case I mess up.

Also, do you happen to know if this glue is transparent after it cures or it becomes solid white?

@Savage Clown

so I’ve attached back the fingers and the hand. Looks solid mate, can’t really tell it’s been damaged And only because I know I can tell.

I will leave it 2 hours for full reinforcement of the glue and then pour down some of it in the crack and a little bit more around the hand in the space it has just for safety.

Pleased so far with it, thanks!

Attachments

• 4067CD3C-E7EE-457F-96FE-86A1C251258D.jpeg
    4067CD3C-E7EE-457F-96FE-86A1C251258D.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 140
  • 89AF5859-139B-4323-ACC0-6982AB31D6FD.jpeg
    89AF5859-139B-4323-ACC0-6982AB31D6FD.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 133
Reactions: Lone Crusader