General Blu-ray Digibook, Media Book Discussion

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
ir

Last edited by a moderator:
i can see this, but the way they're talking over there is that one of the studios actually owns the term/design digibook like Scanavo owns Steelbook Designs. i'm not sure if that's correct, but i've never heard such before.

Interesting, who do they say owns the rights to the name "digibook"?

A suggestion - ignore me if you wish - :p

On those confirmed digibooks - can we start adding the ASIN number? This would help a great deal to those searching for any digibook - as you all know sometimes the listing picture shows an amaray or a digibook yet the title doesn't state digibook.

Hope that makes sense ;)

Interesting, who do they say owns the rights to the name "digibook"?

according to a couple folks over there, Warner owns the name/design and Universal licenses the format from Warner. supposedly Fox decided they didn't want to pay Warner so instead of using the plastic tray they opted to use the cardboard slots in the front or back to avoid royalties.

how true all of this is, i have no idea, but nobody has disputed yet what they've said.

Last edited:
A suggestion - ignore me if you wish - :p

On those confirmed digibooks - can we start adding the ASIN number? This would help a great deal to those searching for any digibook - as you all know sometimes the listing picture shows an amaray or a digibook yet the title doesn't state digibook.

Hope that makes sense ;)

Sounds like quite a good idea, only slight problem I can see is that they are Amazon numbers, and although we always try to use Amazon to purchase our digis, so as to help support HDN, quite a lot of the titles produced are not sold by Amazon. Whay does anyone else think?

Sounds like quite a good idea, only slight problem I can see is that they are Amazon numbers, and although we always try to use Amazon to purchase our digis, so as to help support HDN, quite a lot of the titles produced are not sold by Amazon. Whay does anyone else think?

Any barcode/EAN number would help aslong as it relates to that exact item :)

isbn_ean_200x100.png

according to a couple folks over there, Warner owns the name/design and Universal licenses the format from Warner. supposedly Fox decided they didn't want to pay Warner so instead of using the plastic tray they opted to use the cardboard slots in the front or back to avoid royalties.

how true all of this is, i have no idea, but nobody has disputed yet what they've said.

Just did a bit more research and it appears that a German firm had a registered trademark for "digibook" in a computer context that expired in 2011. There was an attempt to register the name in the mid noughties in Europe that was rejected. The Warner Premium collection releases in Spain have cardboard disc holders, and the German Fox Cineditions have the discs stored in a plastic holder. I think the cardboard holders in the other Fox "digibooks" are there for budgetary reasons more than anything. It would be interesting to see if there is any actual evidence that Warner owns the name.

:ohno:Braces himself as he gets ready to be shot down in flames!:ohno:

Reactions: Sigill
Just did a bit more research and it appears that a German firm had a registered trademark for "digibook" in a computer context that expired in 2011. There was an attempt to register the name in the mid noughties in Europe that was rejected. The Warner Premium collection releases in Spain have cardboard disc holders, and the German Fox Cineditions have the discs stored in a plastic holder. I think the cardboard holders in the other Fox "digibooks" are there for budgetary reasons more than anything. It would be interesting to see if there is any actual evidence that Warner owns the name.

:ohno:Braces himself as he gets ready to be shot down in flames!:ohno:

not sure. what i find funny is that i quit arguing with the fellow a few days ago because he had an "i'm right, you're wrong" elitist kinda attitude, that today, he came back again telling me how i'm wrong and that this site is wrong about what they consider a digibook, even though i haven't replied in days. i finally just added him to the ignore list. i have a definition in mind as to what i consider a digibook and that's all that really matters, if they want to list titles in their database incorrectly, that's fine. thank god they let you make your own categories under your collection manager and i can add whatever i consider a digibook there.

not sure. what i find funny is that i quit arguing with the fellow a few days ago because he had an "i'm right, you're wrong" elitist kinda attitude, that today, he came back again telling me how i'm wrong and that this site is wrong about what they consider a digibook, even though i haven't replied in days. i finally just added him to the ignore list. i have a definition in mind as to what i consider a digibook and that's all that really matters, if they want to list titles in their database incorrectly, that's fine. thank god they let you make your own categories under your collection manager and i can add whatever i consider a digibook there.

Well said - It doesnt really matter, whats a digibook and what s not, but the strange part of the discussion, is to say that some organisation owns the rights to a particular format, but seem unable to produce any evidence to suppot their viewpoint. It is just a discussion though!

Well said - It doesnt really matter, whats a digibook and what s not, but the strange part of the discussion, is to say that some organisation owns the rights to a particular format, but seem unable to produce any evidence to suppot their viewpoint. It is just a discussion though!

exactly. as much as i've looked, i could find no evidence to support what they're saying and neither can they apparently since they've not provided anything.

What's with the lack of Digibook releases in the UK? Is it because the studios are just being lazy or lack of interest? (I don't believe it's the latter)

I'd gladly swap my steels for a decent digibook version :D

What's with the lack of Digibook releases in the UK? Is it because the studios are just being lazy or lack of interest? (I don't believe it's the latter)

I'm not sure but a guess would be that Steelbooks are more popular. I don't know of any digibook that has had a limited print run but a lot that were available have been around for a while. Having said that look at Senna and now Schindlers list, they have both been very popular and sold out quickly. Perhaps cost is an issue aswell as I presume it costs a lot more than releasing a standard Amaray case which they normally do. I wish we had a lot more releases too.

I always have mixed feelings about the low numbers of digibooks that the UK get. In some ways I think it's quite good that the studios in certain countries only produce occasional titles - certainly from an expense point of view. I get the feeling that with steelbooks, some collectors feel overwhelmed with the sheer numbers produced. I certainly can't afford to buy every digibook edition that comes out - (much as I'd like to), but don't mind limiting myself to the particular areas of interest that I have. Just my opinion of course! ;)

Sorry if this has been asked before but just wondering what the correct term for these is.

Digibook
Blu-Ray Book
Media Book

:wtf:

Which term was first?

I see auctions on ebay with 1 or the other.. I am seeing Blu-Ray Book more often.... I thought Digibook was the correct term.

Amazon often lists them as "Blu-ray Books". I think Warner was 1st, in the US at least. Warner and Disney versions have been Digibooks as Warner also refers to them. Some of the larger ones by Capelight are called Mediabooks. And some are called Coffee table books(I believe some from Korea). Technically unless it is actually bound and beyond a few pages, it's one of the above. Otherwise it could just be a Digipack or something else that happens to have a few pages but it's not actually a 'book'. I am sure one our Digi experts can add much more, though lol.

:::: Digitalbabe ::::

Staff/Community Manager
Hidefninja.com

Last edited:
Reactions: stinkofdefeat
Everything that Digitalbabe says is right, there isn´t really a "correct" term for a digibook. Some people refer to them with the steelbook terms G1 & G2, but you can´t really apply those tags to digibooks, as they are sometimes so variable in height, to some degree width, and particularly so in thickness. In the case of "mediabooks" things are a bit more standardised, they are taller than the average digibook and tend to come from Germany or Austria. I´m coming to the opinion that perhaps we should be calling the Spanish FNAC exclusive releases mediabooks as well, since they are the same height as the German issues. ;)

Hope that helps.

Reactions: stinkofdefeat
I'm really tempted to go in to collecting digibooks, what with my collection of steelbooks getting too big (every UK release plus various US/Canadians) and too competitive.
Plus, the notion of a digibook really appeals to me, as I think it adds a lot more to the overall package and looks.
The selection seems quite limited at the moment though, do you see this really taking off with more going in to production?
Also, what would be great ones to start a collection off with?

I'm really tempted to go in to collecting digibooks, what with my collection of steelbooks getting too big (every UK release plus various US/Canadians) and too competitive.
Plus, the notion of a digibook really appeals to me, as I think it adds a lot more to the overall package and looks.
The selection seems quite limited at the moment though, do you see this really taking off with more going in to production?
Also, what would be great ones to start a collection off with?

I really like digibooks myself as they feel sturdy and look great. The selection is fairly limited depending on what you are going to collect. If you don't mind foreign text than there are a whole lot of mediabooks from Germany and Austria that are also nice editions. I think most people still seem to prefer Steelbooks so digibooks don't get as many releases as they should do. I would like to see a lot more movies released on digibook but studios do seem slow to release them unfortunatly.
There are a lot of nice editions from Warner to start your collection like The Matrix, 300 and the Exorcist. all very nice digis and all easily available from Amazon. If you don't mind foreign text the German premium editions are also highly reccomended. They come with a transparent plastic slip and are really nice quality.

Reactions: fawky