Ghost in the Shell (1995) (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) [UK]

tommyh84

Not Mine
Premium Supporter
Apr 28, 2011
Release date: September 27, 2021
Purchase links: Zavvi - HMV - Anime-On-Line - Amazon UK
Price: £39.99 (Zavvi - HMV - Amazon) - £37.49 (Anime-On-Line)
Note: The special features are on the blu-ray disc

AC486906-1CA0-42DF-A140-9E3366BF24E8.jpeg

97A90D20-30F3-4018-9568-59790D3905BE.jpeg7EB4DF16-1E19-4EFD-8081-4B85C535E3E7.jpegCA0DFEBC-5BC9-4BA2-BBE6-4F79055EE2A3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
no its not awful at all.. metallic finish on the city/background and her arm.. rest is good quality matte... it makes more sense for this movie than any form of gloss imo

hard to make a picture of it though..

View attachment 505302

Nah not seeing it mate. Matte makes me sick. Literally every steel is improved with gloss or spot gloss. You need to learn these facts son :p

Great.

I hope they lower the price. £39.99 is quite a price hike for 4K. And steelbooks are so numerous they are almost standard issue at this point.

Reactions: Mararagan
Wish I was a bigger fan of this film, as it's been getting some awesome looking steelbooks! I already have the Mondo X one, which suits me just fine. The US steel with Mexifunk art is still my absolute favourite though. :drool:
I feel the same way—I've tried a number of times to like this film, and I always end up feeling like a second-rate anime fan. :) I just don't find it as interesting or deep as many other people do. If they'd do a new English dub, I could be tempted to try it one more time.

I like this new edition the best of any so far, but...US$64.93 to get it to the US? It seems that retailers recently decided it's time to increase steelbook prices across the board.

I feel the same way—I've tried a number of times to like this film, and I always end up feeling like a second-rate anime fan. :) I just don't find it as interesting or deep as many other people do. If they'd do a new English dub, I could be tempted to try it one more time.

I like this new edition the best of any so far, but...US$64.93 to get it to the US? It seems that retailers recently decided it's time to increase steelbook prices across the board.
In this day and age it might not appeal to many, I remember seeing this in '97 when I was a young lad. It was incredible. This was the epitome of animation for me at the time, nothing else even came close.

"new English Dub" :wtf: sacrilege!!!

I
In this day and age it might not appeal to many, I remember seeing this in '97 when I was a young lad. It was incredible. This was the epitome of animation for me at the time, nothing else even came close.

"new English Dub" :wtf: sacrilege!!!
Totally agree it was always a "you had to be there" type of anime feature that was a breakthrough thematically and visually in the 90's.. at least as far as western exposure to anime was concerned.

Not a fan of that artwork at all I've seen a thousand better GITS fan artworks on pixiv and the binary code (or is it supposed to be a motherboard base?) on the steel just makes it look even more like a Matrix steelbook for no good reason.

Reactions: gAnX

Tbf I've only seen it the once and that was just a few years ago, so I was definitely late to the party! Funny thing is I loved the live action remake, which I know a lot of folks hate. As for dubbing, it always takes me out of a film as it just doesn't feel natural to me... but for your sake I hope they add it. :)

Reactions: moonbucket
It's been a while since I watched this so I'll have to rewatch it sometime, but I loved the manga and remember being pretty disappointed by the movie. I really wish they'd release a steelbook of Innocence though, that movie deserves more love :/

Funanimation UK have said this disc will have both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. Colour me pleasantly surprised.

• Informative
Reactions: Shark
Tbf I've only seen it the once and that was just a few years ago, so I was definitely late to the party! Funny thing is I loved the live action remake, which I know a lot of folks hate. As for dubbing, it always takes me out of a film as it just doesn't feel natural to me... but for your sake I hope they add it. :)

Nice to see someone else enjoyed the live-action version. I thought it was decent and captured the feel of the anime, though I did chortle at the "honest reviews" er, review when they said that Takeshi Kitano knew it was so terrible he didn't bother speaking English. :D

I should probably get this to replace my old SteelBook but that price creep is hard to stomach.

Reactions: Noodles
I'm probably gonna be the odd one out by saying I like the steelbook cover more than the slipcover, so glad I get it the good way round :naughty:
Haven't seen this yet so seems like a good edition to jump into, looking forward to it!

Embossed title/debossed border on the front. Border appears to arch inwards on the top corners as well by the looks of it, rather than your typical boxed rectangular border.

Debossed rear, around the blue window by the looks of it.

Zero finish. Gloss would've been better, can't have it all I guess.