Pop!/Movies/TV Mod
Premium Supporter
Nov 4, 2010
Vancouver Canada
4.20 star(s) Rating: 4.20/5 5 Votes
Title: Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Genre: Science Fiction, Comedy

Director: Jason Reitman

Cast: Paul Rudd, Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson, Sigourney Weaver, Annie Potts and some unkown kids...

Release: 2020-07-10

Plot: When a single mom and her two kids arrive in a small town, they begin to discover their connection to the original Ghostbusters and the secret legacy their grandfather left behind.

This wasn’t a perfect movie or even a great one but definitely a fun one. At the end of the day in a world where subverting audience expectations has become the trend it’s really refreshing to see some fan service done right. I’ve seen some people criticize the callbacks but in a franchise that’s just part of the connected world. The child actors who played Phoebe and Podcast really shine. There are some rehashes in terms of plot lines but it does feel different enough to be an original story. Some parts are clunky at times but it seemed the intent was in the right place made by someone who cared about the source material and the fans.

That being said, I would recommend going to your favorite theater, grabbing your soda of choice, some popcorn, and checking this out.

Didn't expect this film to tie things so nicely.
It's a bit depressing that everything has to be so old and derelict, like the equipment, Ecto 1 car, heroes forgotten, why is it, when a new sequel of anything comes out, all the previous achievements have to be destroyed.

A lot of years did pass, but not so many, as to have a third generation - could have main character's children in their 30s as the new leads. There was no Egon's daughter mentioned in 1989 Ghostbusters 2, but there is one here, old enough to have 15 and 12 year old children. She must have given birth to the first one at 16 herself.
I do like McKenna Grace a lot, so that saves it a little, but the whole Stranger Things element was obviously at play here.
Also 'diversity' doesn't sleep here. I'm all for fair and realistic representation in film, but for a rural Oklahoma town to have not only more, than a couple of African-Americans (there's at least 4-5 characters here, including the sheriff), but also an Armenian guy, a Korean kid, an indigenous Canadian, and a transsexual Hispanic, who are all hanging out together, feels a bit forced. Hollywood propaganda in your face forced.

I would want more screen time of the original cast, even though they got old. There should have been more sequels with them, earlier. In the 90's, then a couple more in 00's. But as it is right now, I guess it's the best we could hope for. This is how you respectfully make a sequel so many years later, while honoring the original cast and characters.
Not whatever that 2016 abomination was.

Reactions: BluSteel2012