Ghostbusters: The Video Game

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
If there is another thread on this feel free to move, but I did do a search and didnt find anything besides some talk in the new madden thread.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ELJDXE/?tag=hidefnin-20

61SnAOTz82L._AA280_.jpg

Collectors Edition comes with Slimer ... $129.99 ... Steep! However, limited to only 6500 peices.

4105fj8eooL._AA280_.jpg

31t7n2ZIJxL._AA280_.jpg

slimerfigure.jpg

Who You Gonna Call?
The Ghostbusters are back in an all-new story penned by the original creators. With Manhattan newly overrun by ghosts and other supernatural creatures, it's up to you to take on the role of a new recruit joining the original film cast of the famous Ghostbusters team. Equipped with a variety of unique weapons and gadgets, you will hunt, fight, and capture a wide range of uncanny phantasms and demons in an all-new funny and frightening battle to save New York City from its latest paranormal plague.

Game Features:

Based on the classic Ghostbusters films and features the original cast
Head out with unique weapons and gadgets
Battle an incredible variety of supernatural foes
Move through New York City and stop eerie enemies
Become part of the famous paranormal ghostbusting team
Included in the Slimer Edition:
An exclusive 10" Slimer bust designed and created by the original movie sculptor, Steve Johnson. Comes complete with a certificate of authenticity signed by the sculptor himself.
Exclusive Ghostbusters Minimates. Only be available with the Slimer Edition.
Exclusive Ghostbusters Gamer Graffix Console Skins.
Exclusive Ecto 1 Key Chain with lights and sound.

Cast from the Original Films
Ghostbusters: The Video Game features the original film cast from the classic Ghostbusters films, including Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis and Ernie Hudson. Aykroyd and Ramis also return to write the script and storyline for the game. Enter an exciting gameplay environment that authentically recreates the whimsical time period of the film and expands the lore and supernatural events that seemingly plague New York City.

Last edited:
Wow! $70 more for two pieces of plastic? I'm gonna pass, even with it being a limited number.

crazy price but it does have a bit more than the pics I showed ... if you read close to the bottom it says something about a skin for console and some other stuff.

crazy price but it does have a bit more than the pics I showed ... if you read close to the bottom it says something about a skin for console and some other stuff.

Oh, I didn't see that bit at the bottom. Still though. Too expensive for my taste. I'm not much of an item collector.

Ghostbusters: The Video Game Review

We hate to say it, but we?re nowhere near as excited now that we?ve finished Ghostbusters: The Video Game as we were prior to its release. Inevitably, taking on such an iconic brand as Ghostbusters comes with huge expectation, and when they're not achieved we're bound to feel a little despondent. That?s exactly the case with Ghostbusters: The Video Game. It?s good, but it?s not as brilliant as we thought it would be. Nevertheless, there are still plenty of positives to tell you about, and overall it?s a game that deserves attention, particularly if you?re a fan of the movies. If that is the case, then you?ll certainly get a kick out of joining the familiar figures of Spengler, Stantz, Zeddmore and Venkmann on their ghost-busting antics, as you chase Slimers through hotel corridors and dash across Times Square to escape the towering figure of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.

The brand new storyline of Ghostbusters: The Videogame takes place two years after Ghostbusters II, during Thanksgiving 1991, when paranormal activity has increased to unprecedented levels. This leaves a nice opening for you, the new rookie, to join the ghost busting team, investigate the ghoulish goings-on and eradicate the threat. Armed with a proton pack, a PKE meter to search for mischievous spirits, and with your ghost busting buddies at your side, you ?zap, cap and trap? any ghouls that cross your path. As well as attempting to save New York City?s citizens, you can earn money to spend on upgrading your equipment, which comes in handy when trying to capture the bigger ghosts you encounter at the end of each of the levels.

site_ghostbusters-the-video-game-ss-26.jpg

The gameplay in Ghostbusters incorporates a number of third-person shooter elements, but it?s the ghost capturing mechanic that makes up the bulk of the action and drives the game along. Disappointingly, the proton pack is your only weapon, though it can be modified so you can use it in different ways, like as a shot-gun or machine gun. The proton pack produces a stream of energy that allows you to grab hold of ghosts. It?s challenging and satisfying to use the three-pronged attack to zap a ghoul, then throw him around, smashing him into objects to drain his energy, and then finally throwing down a trap and enjoying an aerial tug of war to suck him into the small device. There?s a large variety of ghosts to trap, with some familiar appearances from the likes of iconic Ghostbusters characters such as Stay Puft Marshmallow Man and the Slimers, in addition to appearances from Opera singing and fishing ghosts, and apparitions masquerading as Chefs and Librarians. The majority of ghosts have to be caught using the trapping mechanic, but some, in typical shooter style, must simply be blasted to pieces.

That?s all there is to it, really. We knew we'd be busting ghosts throughout the game, but we hoped there would be a bit more to the gameplay. You're generally partaking in "arena-based combat" around every corner, where you're cornered into a section until you can get rid of all of the ghosts. There?s a few cool upgrades such as ?Slam dunk,? which speeds up the process of capturing a ghost and allows you to dispatch him in a visually impressive manner, but the upgrade system is generally a weak one. You unlock items during the game automatically as you progress, so there seems to be no real point in buying them. With the shallow upgrade system and lack of variety in the gameplay, it feels like the developer has missed a trick somewhere along the line. Even the big boss battles rarely generate much excitement. They?re impressive to watch, but not very exciting to play. You?ll see what we mean when you tackle the Marshmallow Man head-on while dangling from the roof of a skyscraper. It should have been an awe-inspiring moment, but it all comes to a disappointing conclusion. Nevertheless, there are still some great moments to enjoy, and the impressive trapping mechanic and the Ghostbusters vibe keeps you plugging along despite the repetitiveness of the gameplay.

site_ghostbusters-the-video-game-ss-27.jpg

You are given occasional respite from the combat with some exploration-based gameplay. When activated the PKE meter switches your view to the first person perspective, you can move around slowly following the indications made on the meter that point you in the direction of objects of interest. These can be artifacts that you can collect, or they can be hidden ghosts that may be tucked under a vase or behind a painting ready to jump out on you. It?s a nice addition to be able to scan ghosts and add them to your bestiary and take a look at their back-story and weaknesses whenever you feel like it. The PKE meter does add a bit of suspense to the gameplay as well. Though none of the ghost are particularly scary, there are a few frights caused by sneaking around with the PKE meter on.

It's Ghostbusters' presentation that really excels. The Ghostbusters soundtrack, complete with the signature ?Who ya gonna call?? theme tune, captures the spirit of the movies and provides an excellent audio backdrop to the ghost catching. The detailed locations, including Times Square and the various rooms of The Hotel Sedgewick, are peppered with objects and furniture that you can use to slam ghosts into. Despite some graphical inconsistencies, the areas provide an excellent setting in which to bash and trap the ghouls. The life-like character models of the Ghostbusting crew, alongside the voices of Bill Murray (Venkmann), Dan Aykrord (Stanz), and others, plus a script that captures the humor and sarcasm of the Ghostbusters movies, all do a good job at creating a believable Ghostbuster vibe. Overall, despite some ropey cut-scenes and the lack of chemistry between the characters, the Ghostbusters brand is well represented here. This alone should be enough to motivate fans to drive on through to the game's conclusion.

Credit also needs to be given to the game's multiplayer modes. The six paranormal-themed game modes are a bit of mixed bag, but generally they provide a decent array of online entertainment with a subject matter that we don?t normally see in videogames. ?Survival Mode,? for instance, is fast-paced and can be very exciting as hordes of ghosts descend on you, whereas ?Thief,? in which you have to guard relics from the ghosts, provides a nice variation on the standard ?Capture the Flag? mode.

site_ghostbusters-the-video-game-ss-29.jpg

If there had been a bit more time on the development side, it?s clear that Ghostbusters could have been a lot better. As it stands, it?s littered with inconsistencies. Sprinting feels a little clumsy and takes a fraction too long to kick in, the healing system is a peculiar one in which team-mates will happily revive you but not each other, and the some of the in-game cut scenes severely lack in quality in comparison to other parts of the game. As you approach the final two levels, in what surmounts to a total game experience of six to eight hours, you?ll know that you've experienced everything Ghostbusters has to offer and things really begin to get stale. The feeling that it wasn?t quite finished to the highest of standard and that there could have been more things done to make the gameplay more varied niggled away at us right up to its unimpressive conclusion.

Despite our negativity, we wouldn't want you to go away thinking Ghostbusters isn't worth playing. That would be doing the game a grave injustice. While we?d be lying if we said that Ghostbusters will be a title that we?ll still be talking about in the coming months, it's worth letting you know that we did have fun while it lasted and its subject matter provided a refreshing alternative to fighting soldiers and zombies. The ghost trapping mechanic is enjoyable, and the array of mischievous ghosts are fun to do battle against. With its familiar soundtrack and voices, plus some generally impressive visuals, fans of the movies will enjoy Ghostbusters: The Video Game even if they do get a little bored before the end.
________
Home made vaporizer

Last edited:
Ghostbusters dev comments on distinct console differences

Occasionally, however, a game comes along that looks dramatically different on one console. In this case, there are striking differences between both versions of Ghostbusters. The difference isn?t just visible to the eyes of graphics experts, either. Take a look for yourself:

ghostbusters-the-video-game-ss-30.jpg

It gets more interesting, though. Joystiq boldly asked Terminal Reality to comment on the differences. A spokesperson relayed, "For the record, the PS3 version [of Ghostbusters] is softer due to the 'quincunx' antialiasing filter and the fact we render at about 75% the resolution of the 360 version. So you cannot directly compare a screen shot of one to the other unless you scale them properly. The PS3 does have less available RAM than the 360 ? but we managed to squeeze three out of four textures as full size on the PS3."

The resolution for the PS3 version is 960 x 540, while the 360?s resolution is 1280 x 720. As the image above shows, that?s quite the difference.

Even more interesting are the comments from more than a year ago by Terminal Reality. Ironically, the Ghostbusters IP is owned by Sony Pictures, and Terminal Reality said that led to the PS3 version being the leading version. They also said the PS3 "can do a lot more" and that development on the 360 was holding back the PS3 version.

So Terminal Reality initially says the PS3 can do a lot more but the 360 version was holding the PS3 version back, yet now the PS3 version is visually inferior? What's really going on?
________
Problems from paxil

Last edited:
I think the devs are full of it. The game is fun, but you can tell when the image is really soft and the details are a bit smudge and not clear enough.

the game overall was great, and ive been getting on the multiplayer mode, it would be cool with other blu members playing it online as well.

Man, I thought the demo sucked ... I got lost lol. I really want to like this game though ... with the amount of games I got needing play .. I'll just wait till this one drops lower in price.

ill probably play this game for a little longer but if i cant get into multiplayer i may just sell it. wreck before you decide you want to buy it let me know. ill see if i wanna sell it then