Gipsy Danger (Pacific Rim) (Soul of Chogokin) [Worldwide]

IRON MAN

E.D.I.T.H.
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere
Release date: March 29, 2018
Purchase links: BigBadToyStore - Amazon (marketplace) - HobbySearch 1999 (Japan)
Price: $255.99 (BBTS) - From $237.38 (Amazon) - ¥ 23,750 (about $213.73) (HobbySearch 1999)

71W0F-SQpKL._SL1500_.jpg

Product Features
  • 9.1 inches (23.114cm)
  • Made of diecast metal
  • From Pacific Rim
  • Features illumination and sound effects
  • Wide array of interchangeable parts and accessories
  • Posable action figure
Box Contents
  • Gipsy Danger figure
  • 2 Sets of hands
  • Ship
  • 2 Chain-swords
  • 2 Chain-whips
  • 2 Plasma-casters
  • Stand
  • Instructions

Review on Forbes HERE

Whenever I see Bandai apply its talents to mecha that are popular in the West, I feel equal parts excitement and pity for their competition. The latest Soul of Chogokin from the company is no exception, as this new Gipsy Danger toy is utterly epic.

Over the years, Hollywood has dabbled with movies featuring mecha and most have been pretty terrible. Pacific Rim partly changed all that by taking a more classic route and included kaiju, or giant monsters, for the mecha to fight.

This grounded the proceedings and gave a degree of functionality to the resultant mecha designs. After all, if you are going to design a fictional vehicle you need to have the design itself imply what it can do.

What we ended up with were huge towering Jaegers that were monoliths of industrial brute force built to specifically tackle this kaiju menace.

I will be honest here though, while I thought Pacific Rim was a fun movie with great designs for kaiju, the mecha designs weren’t all that great for me. In that, in comparison to the creative imagination on display for the kaiju, the mecha were quite generic and disappointing.

So Bandai already had a lot to do to win me over on this toy and after playing with the massive NECA release a few years back, I wasn’t sure what Bandai could do to convert me over to these mecha.

The inclusion of Gipsy Danger in the Soul of Chogokin line is worth noting though, as it means it is intended as a serious high-end collector’s piece and one with an involved design process, as well as advanced usage of materials and complex articulation.

As someone that has a lot of Soul of Chogokin toys already, this Gipsy Danger is facing some stiff competition, especially when I am not overly enamored of the original design.

The results though are epic and this is one of the best Soul of Chogokin toys I have played with in a long time.

The reason for this is partly down to the host design, as it’s not overly complex as mecha go and as such the toy is more focused because of it.

Firstly, the sculpt and detailing are very finely as well as accurately done. This is backed up with a very nice paint job and decals, which are suitably precise. Compared to the massive NECA from a few years back, the sculpt and paint job here is much nicer and nowhere near as messy.

The use of materials is also a lot more sophisticated, as this toy uses a lot of diecast, not only to strengthen the articulation but also to help with weight distribution. The result is a toy that feels very planted and sturdy.

The articulation is also quite interesting, as there are various parts panels across the body that are interconnected, so they move and react to when you pose the toy. This is not something overly obvious from the pictures but it captures the shifting nature of the armor from the movie very nicely.

This Soul of Chogokin also features lights in the body and arms. These are powered by LR41 batteries supplied with the toy. Two for each forearm and three in the body. The body lights cover the head vizor, lights below the neck and the jet engine in the torso. The latter changes color when you press it. This is to re-enact the scene where Gipsy Danger has to halt its descent before landing.

The two plasma weapons in the forearms are separate pieces and don’t transform from the standard forearms. The light is switched on at the rear by pulling a piece of armor out. The forearms are removed very simply as well, with them slotting in and out very comfortably.

In addition to this, you get the large tanker that Gipsy Danger uses as a baseball bat in the movie and the two Galient swords in the arms. The latter has two modes, the whip version and the assembled sword.

If you are unfamiliar with what I mean by Galient sword, this originated back in the anime Panzer World Galient and was used by the titular mecha to devastating effect.

Following that the only minor downside this toy has is that the hands do not have articulated fingers and need to be swapped out. I get why having fixed pose hands are good for holding things, such as the tanker in this case, but it would have been great to have had one set of hands with posable fingers. That aside, this is a very complete set and it even comes with a stand.

Overall, Bandai has done a very good job here and I only wish we had this toy when Pacific Rim was released. It has managed to convert me to appreciating the host design, purely due to its attention to detail and showing off more of the subtle elements in the mecha’s articulation, among other things. So this definitely comes recommended to anyone that likes very well made mecha toys and doubly so if you enjoyed Pacific Rim.

This Soul of Chogokin Gipsy Danger toy is released in the U.S. on March 29 for $249.99

Some unboxing pics via collectiondx

P3122851.jpg P3122852.jpg

Out of the box you need to attach the two shoulder pad fins, and two exhaust covers.

Before you start playing, you want to insert the 3 watch batteries into the compartment on the back. This requires a phillips head screwdriver. Bandai includes the batteries for your convenience. To access the battery panel, pinch the shoulder pads together and lift up.

Move the switch into the on position and close the panel. To activate the lights, just press on the circle on the chest. The light will pulsate, change colors, then stop eventually. It also lights up the eyes and some spots on the chest.

The gimmick is nicely done, you should check out the video to see it in action.

The whole thing is really nicely detailed with small tampo printed details and slight metallic finish.

The chest has a joint above the abdomen, and then again at the waist, but movement is limited from the top. The central panel moves independently from the rest when you move it forward and back.

The small thin panels on the sides also move when you rotate the shoulders - a seemingly unrelated mechanism but the detail is subtle and fantastic.

It's hard to explain the shoulder joint. It's multi segmented, but no clicky movement. It has a decent range of movement, but not ridiculous. It's mostly metal. There's a bicep swivel, and a double joint at the elbow, but the joints are on different sections of the arm. The lower arm is removable for the plasma cannon gimmick, so it's metal until you get to the removable part. The arm just sort of slides out on two tracks. I thought it would be at risk of falling out, but it seems to sit in just fine.

The arm panels fold out to replicate the rocket punch attack mode, There are three panels that move, plus a little rocket section. It would have been cool to include a rocket blast effect part, but no such luck.

I took this next picture to show that the head only attaches via a peg, and it attaches at the back. The neck assembly moves side to side and the hole is where the light comes from to illuminate the visor via a mirror.

The legs have another moving panel on the front of the thighs when you move the hips. Again, an nice detail that brings this figure to another level.

The hips are SUPER tight, and movement is limited by the upper rear leg part. Still, you can get some great poses, and the knee joint is one of the nicest i've ever seen. Just tight enough, totally smooth double joint action with multiple knee plates and even hydraulics.

Feet are ball jointed, with the toes articulated in two sections.

Quite a few accessories are included with Gipsy Danger, but not so much that its overwhelming.

There are long and short versions of the chain swords, and they plug in easily above the wrists, although the arm panels need to be slightly open to fit them.

There's an open set of hands, for.. saying heyyyyyyy

The other open set of hands is for holding the tanker ship it uses as a melee weapon in Hong Kong. It can be held in a variety of poses, and is pre-crunched for hand placement.

Also included with the figure is a set of Plasmacaster arms. These detachable arms have light up features embedded in them, but their execution is ****. Let me explain. Each of the arms has 3 claws, and one claw panel is removable to get to the battery compartment. To do this, follow these steps:

1. remove the outer panel by looking at it.
2. remove the panel covering the battery section by breathing on it.
3. unscrew the panel with a phillips head screwdriver and insert the 2 batteries (included)
4. screw the panel back on.
5. replace the outer panel and swear when it falls off immediately.
6. repeat step 5 until you decide to wrap the tiny pegs with tape to get just a bit of friction.
7. replace the outer arm panel
8. cry as not only did that fall off, but also the battery cover panel fell off.
9. go back to step 6, repeat until you go insane.

if you don't breathe on them, they look great.

Come on Bandai, it's not like this is your first toy. How does this get past all the stages with someone not noticing this is a huge flaw? Why couldnt' the batteries be inserted like you do in a flashlight? Just unscrew the top and drop them in? These get left in the box.

There's also a basic stand, just a black platform with a section that holds under the crotch. There's no storage for any of the additional parts like with most other SOC releases.

Still though, the crappy arm parts don't take away from what really is an otherwise fantastic toy. Gipsy Danger is a solid robot overall, and I can't wait to see what they do with Crimson Typhoon!

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon
Teasing me on Twitter wasn't enough for you, eh? :p

It looks great, but look at the size of that human hand next to Gipsy! He's sooo tiny! Man, I want this, but I really don't think I can buy something that small for $250. EEK!
Big things come in small packages. Go for it :LOL:

looks amazing but holy moly you are right @tridon thats a lot of dough for something so small. in relation i got this for same price.

-2588722049596051297.jpg

SDCC-2018-TMNT-1990-Figures-and-Dio-011-928x483.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon