God of War 3 Megathread

Jan 29, 2009
God of War III is a forthcoming installment in the God of War video game franchise. It was formally announced at E3 2008, and is expected to be released in 2010 according to the gamestop website exclusively for the PlayStation 3. It is the fifth chapter in the series chronologically, after God of War: Chains of Olympus, God of War, God of War: Betrayal and God of War II. The tagline for the game is "In the end, there will be only chaos".

Although little is known about the game at this point, it was confirmed to be in development by Cory Barlog at a God of War II launch event. He revealed that the game would run at full 1080p HD resolution, and the game would support Sixaxis tilt and vibration functions. This was stated before the DualShock 3 controller was announced; therefore causing confusion as the Sixaxis controller did not support rumble. Barlog also expressed an interest in adding a cooperative mode "if we can do something unique with it".

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nRYbCJahZoc&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nRYbCJahZoc&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>​

God of War director David Jaffe has said that, "God of War explains, or ultimately will explain, why there are no more Greek myths." He has also stated that it will be "hell on earth" as the gods and the titans battle each other for domination. Though Jaffe and Barlog left Sony for other opportunities, they are still credited for the series and will possibly be involved in this installment. Eat Sleep Play, co-founded by Jaffe, has expressed interest to be involved in development for God of War III.

4192770290_f948ffb46f.jpg

We’ve been working pretty hard on this for the past few months but I’m delighted to announce that the “Ultimate Trilogy Edition” will be available in limited quantities in most European countries, Australia and New Zealand at the same time as the standalone God of War III game. Pricing and exact release details to be confirmed in the next few weeks so stay tuned :)

This very special edition will come in a high-end, sculpted replica of Pandora’s Box and we are planning to include the following items inside:

* God of War III
* God of War Collection (gentle reminder, this is God of War and God of War II, remastered in HD, running at 60 fps, with Trophy support, all on one Blu-ray Disc)
* Extra game content downloadable via PlayStation Network:
o God of War Combat Arena containing an exclusive environment and seven challenges to complete
o Dominus character skin
o Apollo character skin
o Phantom of Chaos character skin
o Forgotten Warrior character skin

* Exclusive video content downloadable via PlayStation Network:
o God of War: Unearthing the Legend Franchise Documentary. This is a full-length documentary detailing the history of the God of War franchise. A must have for fans!

* Special audio bonus content:
o God of War Trilogy Soundtrack – God of War, II, and III scores from the game
o God of War: Blood and Metal EP – a heavy metal homage featuring original music inspired by God of War

* Additional content:
o Artbook
o Postcards

Last edited by a moderator:
switched out my pre-order from just gow3 to the ultimate edition

DREAM THEATER is writing a track specifically for the game. That alone is worth the extra money. I can't wait because I could clearly hear GOWesque tuneage on their black clouds and silver lingings CD

CANNOT freaking wait.

i just started playing GOW from the GOW collection and i really enjoy it. I never played any of them before last night. I may have to get GOW III if i continue to enjoy the game.

God of War III: Ultimate Trilogy Edition priced

Sony Europe has slapped a rather hefty GBP £109.99 price tag on its forthcoming God of War III: Ultimate Trilogy Edition bundle in the UK.

For those unaware, Ultimate Trilogy Edition includes a copy of God of War III and the God of War Collection, plus some addition goodies in the form of a soundtrack and exclusive downloadable content.

According to retail giant GAME, the set will be out on March 20, though Sony has yet to nail down an official date at the time of writing. Still, there’s no doubt over the price – a Sony rep told the chaps at VG247, “Yep it’s £109.99” when quizzed on the subject.

What some critics are saying:

IGN: If The two minutes I just played of God of War III are any indication, this game is going to be a visual spectacle. There are sweeping camera angles, constant action the orientation of levels changes on a whim and some truly jaw dropping graphics.”

Joystiq: “My concerns were obliterated last month when I got to play the latest build of the game. It took me a minute or so before I was able to say ‘this is God of War’ and this is what is was meant to be.”

GamesRadar: “2010, say hello to your first potential killer app.”

New God of War III video (added to OP) shows off dynamic lighting, grapple combat.

Lighting is going to play a major role in God of War III. That’s according to the game’s combat designers Jason McDonald and Adam Puhl. The pair show off the lighting mechanics, using the Helios Head to illuminate dark rooms and dimly light doorways. Apparently the idea for these lighting effects comes from previous installments of God of War, but they were not implemented because the PlayStation 2 couldn’t handle. Now, the PlayStation 3 has enough power, and then some, to fully power this mechanic.

the hype around this game is enormous, which is amazing considering all the other big name games coming out within a month of this game.

i really wanna check this video out, but im trying to save everything till i actually play the game.

im doing the same with bioshock 2. its killing me to do it tho :cool:

God of War III European bundle revealed!

God_of_War_III_Playstation_3_bundle.jpg

Amazon.fr has posted a listing for a 250 Gb God of War III PlayStation 3 bundle. The package will cost €350. We can expect to hear an official date on the European release soon.

EEK!

Last edited by a moderator: