May 18, 2013
AZ, U.S.A
Released: April 20, 2018
Platforms: PS4
Purchase:
Amazon US
Amazon UK

1.jpg

During its press conference at E3, Sony Interactive Entertainment finally announced the next God of War game, coming exclusively for PS4.

The game, that has been in development for a long time at Sony Santa Monica Studio, comes with a brand new setting within the frozen lands of Norse mythology. The first monster we get to see is in fact a troll.

Interestingly, Kratos is older, and now he’s taking care of a child, teaching him the way of the warrior and hunter.

We also got a glimpse on the soundtrack, by 'The Walking Dead‘s' composer Bear McReary.

Last edited by a moderator:
*E3 2016 - UPDATE*

Director Cory Barlog provided a few more tidbits on the new 'God of War' game,
that was announced during Sony’s press conference.
  • The gameplay is being re-imagined, but the storyline is being continued within Norse Mythology.
  • We play as Kratos for the whole game.
  • The game is set “many years aftr God of War 3
  • It’s a much more intimate and player-controlled experience.
  • The accessibility should be the same as previous game, but the gameplay is totally different.
  • It’s a big game, but it’s not an open world.
  • “More to come” on more characters that will be included in the game.
  • The game will be released “soon,” not this year.
  • Quicktime Events won’t be included in the same way they were in the previous games.

• Thanks
Reactions: dboy99 and tridon
Sorry, but not feeling this at all. The only reason that I'm holding on to hope is because this is directed by Cory Barlog who made GoW2... which happened to be my favourite GoW game. As of now, though, this just looks like they took God of War and made it into The Last of Us/Uncharted 4. The epicness of the originals was completely missing during this gameplay video.

Never really had any interest in GoW before, but this looks great! Definitely has an Uncharted/Tomb Raider vibe to it, which I'm all for. :D

I think this looks GREAT! :drool: Glad to see Kratos back! :woot: And with a beard? :OMG: F**K YEAH! :cool: :notworthy:

Hope to see his blades return as well! :thumbs:

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
*Another E3 2016 - UPDATE*

During PlayStation’s E3 live coverage, God of War Creative Director Cory Barlog and Voice Actor Christopher Judge (who is the new voice of Kratos) talked about the new game announced yesterday.

• Barlog was floored by the response to Kratos’ entrance during the live demo at the E3 press conference.
  • Right from the beginning the team wanted to “rip the whole thing up” and rebuild the franchise “from scratch.” They wanted to find all the things that worked and keep them, but change all the things that didn’t match the vision of a more intimate view on Kratos’ life.
  • The team “kicked around” a bunch of different mythologies for quite a while. The setting that they ended up selecting isn’t the viking era. Before the viking era there’s the migration era, and before that there’s a pre-migration era. It’s the era when according to the vikings the gods used to walk the Earth among men.
  • Kratos and his son are in a world where nobody is friendly and everything is hostile. Kratos’ son is actually the only one among the two who understands the local language. Kratos is a stranger in a strange land. For instance, the troll speaks ancient Norse, which the kid understands, but Kratos doesn’t. This allows the team to focus on a new dynamic with Kratos and his son.
  • According to Judge, the script of the game is not simply a game’s script, but is a fully fleshed out story with fleshed out characters that have full emotional ranges.
  • Kratos faces the struggle to accept a new role and not be the same old Kratos, and that for Judge is the role of a lifetime, as it allows a large emotional breadth as an actor.
  • Barlog mentioned that this is not a new Kratos, he’s still the Kratos we know, but he’s older, and he’s looking at life through a different lens. The same goes for Barlog himself: his view of the world is different from when he started working on God of War.
  • Kratos is struggling with the idea of having to deal with another person, a tiny human not listening and not understanding what he thinks is very simple. He’s frustrated, because he can’t let the anger out and has to remain patient and convey his knowledge to his son. His real challenge lays in how much how his real self he’s going to show to his kid, and in how much of himself he sees in his kid.
  • According to Judge nothing changes a man more than having a child, and the game also portrays the challenge of finding out how to be a father when you have never been fathered.
  • The ending of the demo portrays a missed opportunity. The kid is ready to open up, but Kratos misses the opportunity to open up himself. He doesn’t have the strength to pat his son on the back, while he’s completely capable to take down a troll. He has grown up under the most brutal military training possible, and that doesn’t breed cuddly puppies.
  • There are going to be RPG elements and progression, even if it’s not yet set in stone how they will materialize.
  • The axe that we see in the demo has a history. There is a whole story around that connects to many characters within the game.
  • Going with a new weapon was a very deliberate design choice, because there is a whole new way of controlling the game. There is a while new set of controls and a whole new way of interacting with the controller. This had a long development cycle and it went through a lot of revisions.
  • The team isn’t yet ready to reveal the name of Kratos’ son.
  • The whole narrative is set around the idea of teaching, and that’s incredibly important to the gameplay. Through the entire game, Kratos is constantly teaching his son via banter and actual interactivity. There is actually a button entirely dedicated to interacting with Kratos’ son and prompting him to execute certain actions within the game, both in battle and in situations not related to combat, like puzzles.

It is missing the epic scale in these previews, though... But, I hope for the best. Aping elements of the Tomb Raider reboot is a good thing, not a bad thing. But GoW always meant EPIC, LARGE setpieces.

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon
Apparently it is going to be a soft reboot of the series.So chances are they won't speak much of the first games.
That's good to know. As long as those of us who are new to the series can still follow along with this one, then I'll happily jump on board! Although I may need to be reminded what those red markings on his body are all about... someone explained it to me once, but I forgot.

That's good to know. As long as those of us who are new to the series can still follow along with this one, then I'll happily jump on board! Although I may need to be reminded what those red markings on his body are all about... someone explained it to me once, but I forgot.

Good to know that Santa Monida is drawing in new gamers to the GoW franchise with this new direction, but sadly, they're going to be losing a lot of the original GoW fans, too. Personally, I've been playing GoW since Day 1 and the more I see of this, the more I just don't care. If they would've called this anything else, I probably would've been psyched, but by calling it God of War, I'm sorely disappointed. This is not God of War. :(

• Thanks
Good to know that Santa Monida is drawing in new gamers to the GoW franchise with this new direction, but sadly, they're going to be losing a lot of the original GoW fans, too. Personally, I've been playing GoW since Day 1 and the more I see of this, the more I just don't care. If they would've called this anything else, I probably would've been psyched, but by calling it God of War, I'm sorely disappointed. This is not God of War. :(
Yeah, I can completely understand why some longtime fans of the franchise wouldn't like the new direction they're taking with it. A lot seem to be up for the change though... I've seen nothing but hype from both new and old fans on my social media pages. I guess time will tell whether it's actually an improvement or not though. I'd say at least give it a chance anyway mate... seems a shame to give up on a franchise you've loved for so long. Maybe just try to think of it as something else whilst you're playing. :p

Yeah, I can completely understand why some longtime fans of the franchise wouldn't like the new direction they're taking with it. A lot seem to be up for the change though... I've seen nothing but hype from both new and old fans on my social media pages. I guess time will tell whether it's actually an improvement or not though. I'd say at least give it a chance anyway mate... seems a shame to give up on a franchise you've loved for so long. Maybe just try to think of it as something else whilst you're playing. :p

Haha! I was told the other day that I'm an overly passionate person. I'm starting to think that that's maybe true. Nevertheless, there's no denying that, as of right now, this just looks like a re-skinned The Last of Us with ogres and dragons instead of zombies. If Sony releases a demo, I'll give it a shot, but I don't see myself forking out cash for it. There's a long way to go to change my mind, though, and like I said before, this is directed by Cory Barlog who also directed my favourite GoW to date, God of War II, so I'll keep an eye on it for now.

Haha! I was told the other day that I'm an overly passionate person. I'm starting to think that that's maybe true. Nevertheless, there's no denying that, as of right now, this just looks like a re-skinned The Last of Us with ogres and dragons instead of zombies. If Sony releases a demo, I'll give it a shot, but I don't see myself forking out cash for it. There's a long way to go to change my mind, though, and like I said before, this is directed by Cory Barlog who also directed my favourite GoW to date, God of War II, so I'll keep an eye on it for now.
Nothing wrong with being passionate dude. :)

Haha so true, but I'm all for anything that's like The Last of Us. I didn't necessarily mean pick it up on release by the way... maybe get it a year or so down the line when it's cheap, or possibly just borrow it from a friend or something. I guess you're right though... there's still plenty of time for them to change your mind, or even change my mind lol.

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon