Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray Box Set) (The Criterion Collection) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: November 25, 2019 (original) - January 20, 2020 (reprint)
Purchase links: Amazon UK - Zoom UK - Zavvi - HMV
Price: £149.99
Notes: Limited Edition - Region B Locked
41H7GPSdkzL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@Noodles
SIGNUP10 is back working

Zoom must have changed their minds as it was disabled a few weeks ago
Likely they saw a drop in orders :rofl:

Use SIGNUP10 before you login

£134.99 after 10% off
Awesome! Many thanks for the heads up mate. :thumbs:

Hopefully it's around to stay then, because I've just blown £100 on something else, so can't really afford this set right now.

Not surprising if they have had a drop in sales since deactivating it though... I haven't ordered as much from them lately and have instead reverted back to using Amazon, since they're usually the same price and delivery is quicker. 10% off will definitely tempt me back over to Zoom though! :D

Reactions: paulboland
@Noodles
SIGNUP10 is back working

Zoom must have changed their minds as it was disabled a few weeks ago
Likely they saw a drop in orders :rofl:

Use SIGNUP10 before you login

£134.99 after 10% off
comgrats for those for whom it worked :thumbs:, but not doing it for me (followed instructions!). :(

comgrats for those for whom it worked :thumbs:, but not doing it for me (followed instructions!). :(
@steelmybeatingheart
Try first with a in stock item example Pitch Black steelbook
Add to basket then apply discount code SIGNUP10
Don't login yet

Then add to basket
Godzilla: The Show Era Films 1954 - 1975 - The Criterion Collection (Restored Box Set) [Blu-ray]
You should see 10% taken off auto making it £134.99

Then remove Pitch Black from basket

It's still working
I added just to basket and it auto applied discount without me having to enter discount code again as the code was till listed

Screenshot (165).png

• Thanks
Reactions: steelmybeatingheart
@paulboland The discount code works in the basket just fine (whether I add an in-stock item or not), but when I go to checkout (and log in), I see this message: "Sorry you have already used Promotion Code SIGNUP10 - this is limited to first order only".

I guess creating a new account or Guest Checkout could still be options for ordering with discount, but I didn't follow either of those paths.

@paulboland The discount code works in the basket just fine (whether I add an in-stock item or not), but when I go to checkout (and log in), I see this message: "Sorry you have already used Promotion Code SIGNUP10 - this is limited to first order only".

I guess creating a new account or Guest Checkout could still be options for ordering with discount, but I didn't follow either of those paths.
i had the same. :( thanks again, @paulboland - as you said, it does show the 10% discount at the ordering stage, but this is then removed and the full price re-applied when you actually pay (i went all the way through to check out and had to subsequently cancel the order). ah well. :meh:

OK :thumbs:
Zoom must have changed their minds again :rofl:
I got that message a few weeks ago at checkout but the discount was not removed when making payment but they have fixed it now so the discount is removed when making payment.

Are the discs contained within the lavish book because that's what the pics show but description does imply the lavish book as a special separate feature ? Is this edition just a lavishly illustrated deluxe hardcover book containing the discs and no outer hard box? Are criterion starting to cut corners ? Will this release make sense finacially for the collector look at the zatoichi set 25 films ,hard bound book , 9 discs in separate hard book and a hard outer box and it was £30 less. This Godzilla set if it is just a big book containing the discs seems way overpriced to me.

INCLUDES 15 FILMS:

• GODZILLA™ (DIR. ISHIRO HONDA 1954)
  • GODZILLA™ RAIDS AGAIN (DIR. MOTOYOSHI ODA 1955)
  • KING KONG VS. GODZILLA™ (DIRS. ISHIRO HONDA, THOMAS MONTGOMERY 1963)
  • MOTHRA™ VS. GODZILLA™ (DIR. ISHIRO HONDA 1964)
  • GHIDORAH™, THE THREE-HEADED MONSTER (DIR. ISHIRO HONDA 1964)
  • INVASION OF ASTRO-MONSTER (DIR. ISHIRO HONDA 1965)
  • EBIRAH™, HORROR OF THE DEEP (DIR. JUN FUKUDA 1966)
  • SON OF GODZILLA™ (DIR. JUN FUKUDA 1967)
  • DESTROY ALL MONSTERS (DIR. ISHIRO HONDA 1968)
  • ALL MONSTERS ATTACK (DIR. ISHIRO HONDA 1969)
  • GODZILLA™ VS. HEDORAH™ (DIR. YOSHIMITSU BANNO 1971)
  • GODZILLA™ VS. GIGAN™ (DIR. JUN FUKUDA 1972)
  • GODZILLA™ VS. MEGALON™ (DIR. JUN FUKUDA 1973)
  • GODZILLA™ VS. MECHAGODZILLA™ (DIR. JUN FUKUDA 1974)
  • TERROR OF MECHAGODZ (DIR. ISHIRO HONDA 1975)
BONUS FEATURES - SPECIAL EDITION COLLECTOR’S SET FEATURES

• High-definition digital transfers of all fifteen Godzilla films made between 1954 and 1975, released together for the first time, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks
  • High-definition digital transfers of Godzilla, King of the Monsters, the 1956 U.S.-release version of Godzilla; and the 1962 Japanese-release version of King Kong vs. Godzilla
  • Audio commentaries from 2011 on Godzilla and Godzilla, King of the Monsters featuring film historian David Kalat
  • International English-language dub tracks for Invasion of Astro-Monster, Son of Godzilla, Destroy All Monsters, Godzilla vs. Megalon, Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, and Terror of Mechagodzilla
  • Directors Guild of Japan interview with director Ishiro Honda, conducted by director Yoshimitsu Banno in 1990
  • Programs detailing the creation of Godzilla’s special effects and unused effects sequences from Toho releases including Destroy All Monsters
  • New interview with filmmaker Alex Cox about his admiration for the Showa-era Godzilla films
  • New and archival interviews with cast and crew members, including actors Bin Furuya, Tsugutoshi Komada, Haruo Nakajima, and Akira Takarada; composer Akira Ifukube; and effects technicians Yoshio Irie and Eizo Kaimai • Interview with critic Tadao Sato from 2011
  • Illustrated audio essay from 2011 about the real-life tragedy that inspired Godzilla
  • New English subtitle translations
  • Trailers
  • PLUS: A lavishly illustrated deluxe hardcover book featuring an essay by cinema historian Steve Ryfle, notes on the films by cinema historian Ed Godziszewski, and new illustrations by Arthur Adams, Sophie Campbell, Becky Cloonan, Jorge Coelho, Geof Darrow, Simon Gane, Robert Goodin, Benjamin Marra, Monarobot, Takashi Okazaki, Angela Rizza, Yuko Shimizu, Bill Sienkiewicz, Katsuya Terada, Ronald Wimberly and Chris Wisnia

Are the discs contained within the lavish book because that's what the pics show but description does imply the lavish book as a special separate feature ? Is this edition just a lavishly illustrated deluxe hardcover book containing the discs and no outer hard box? Are criterion starting to cut corners ? Will this release make sense finacially for the collector look at the zatoichi set 25 films ,hard bound book , 9 discs in separate hard book and a hard outer box and it was £30 less. This Godzilla set if it is just a big book containing the discs seems way overpriced to me.
See my post above ^

Looks like it's all just housed in an oversized book unfortunately, which has honestly put me off wanting this set... I'd like to keep it together with the rest of my Criterion collection, not separate on another shelf with a bunch of random books. (n)

Reactions: Unabashed86
Yeah it definitely needs to be stored/displayed in a proper space because it is a big, oversized book really. Looks very nice to me though, great illustrations and lots of info and background.

Similar style to two of the Hitchcock "Masterpiece Collection" releases with discs stored in pockets within a book . . . book packaging obviously not ideal for discs as can be fiddly to remove (in my experience) . . . the Hitch set of 14 films for £100 (housed in a photo album style book sitting in a rectangular plastic base with a clear acrylic lid) is what this GODZILLA set should have cost:-
1571527982557.png
1571529158997.png
1571529258605.png
1571529198365.png
1571529052625.png

... and when/if re-released in more compact packaging - maybe again in book style - costing half that amount:-
1571528479158.png
1571528530775.png

Last edited:
Would of been nice if criterion had done this release in the style of the lone wolf and cub set even if it would of been released in two parts. In the product sample video above the artwork looks stunning fair play , but it's a big book and must weigh a fair bit ,I'm in trouble with my HG Lewis feast set similar in size and weight and I've noticed the integrity of the box and books are starting to fail, it's just card and glue at the end of the day.

Reactions: Noodles
Unboxing Video USA release not my video

UK should be the same apart from Jcard and discs might be slightly different with BBFC age ratings