Gran Turismo 5 - Academy Edition announced!

Jan 29, 2009
Gran Turismo 5 (also known as GT5) the fifth edition of the highly acclaimed Gran Turismo racing video game series, developed by Polyphony Digital and published by Sony Computer Entertainment. Expanding on the Prologue version, which was first released in Japan on December 13, 2007 and intended to give an impression of the final game, it will be the first of the main numbered series to feature on the PlayStation 3.

gt5coverart.png

As found in the Prologue, and for the first time in the numbered Gran Turismo series, the game is set to feature cars from Ferrari, including the Ferrari F2007 Formula One World Championship car. In addition to Prologue features, it will also include the Test Track from the BBC motoring show Top Gear, and will greatly expand on the number of cars available to over 9000. There will also be a 16 player online mode as in GT5 Prologue.

In an April 2008 interview, Kazunori Yamauchi revealed that 150 people had worked on Gran Turismo 5 for four years, with all of Polyphony Digital's 120 employees working on GT5, and the game costing 50 times more to develop than 1997's Gran Turismo. He also confessed that GT5 might not be released until after 2009. In a July 2008 interview with IGN, Yamauchi mentioned that at the moment, Polyphony Digital is focused on updates for Gran Turismo 5 Prologue and that Gran Turismo 5 may not be released until 2010.

20081003gt5prologue.jpg

On November 30, 2008. Sony’s chief executive in Southern Europe, James Armstrong, revealed in a statement to a Spanish newspaper that GT5 is expected to be released around Christmas 2009. This would probably mean a late Summer release for Japan and an Autumn/Winter release for Europe and North America. This release date has yet to be confirmed as an official time of release by Polyphony Digital.

Limited Collector’s Edition:

4701985112_792b25f7d6.jpg

4701984840_59b88b3fa6.jpg

Screens:

800x600_g37_004_800x450a.jpg

800x600_g37_001_800x450a.jpg

800x600_g37_002_800x450a.jpg

800x600_sema2009_001_800x450a.jpg

800x600_sema2009_002_800x450a.jpg

800x600_sema2009_005_800x450a.jpg

800x600_sema2009_010_800x450a.jpg

800x600_sema2009_011_800x450a.jpg

800x600_sema2009_012_800x450a.jpg

800x600_tt_001_800x450a.jpg

800x600_tt_003_800x450a.jpg

800x600_tt_004_800x450a.jpg

800x600_tt_005_800x450a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking for opinions about forcefeed back steering wheels, anyone have them?? I see Logitec and Fanatec are the leaders in the class...

Logitech are the best. G27 is the best. The DFGT is really good, but if you can afford it go with the G27, I own the DFGT and love it!

Custom Soundtrack Confirmed!

Custom Soundtracks in GT5?

Jeff Rubenstein | November 22nd, 2010 at 12:57 pm

There’s even a Trophy for using it!

blog.us.playstation.com/2010/11/22/all-the-options-gran-turismo-5-collectors-edition-unboxed/#comment-485899

GT5 PSP Connectivity Detailed

In just a couple of days, the highly anticipated Gran Turismo 5 will finally arrive on the PlayStation 3 but before you get all excited, did you know that you can connect your PSP to unlock goodies?

For players who have Gran Turismo on their PSP and want to upload their car collection data, they may do so by just connecting the PSP. Simply go to the Options menu and scroll down to Others. From there, select “Import Gran Turismo for the PSP system Car Collection data”.

Gran Turismo 5 is scheduled for release in North America this November 24th. Check back for our review of the game on Wednesday!

justpushstart.com/2010/11/22/gran-turismo-5-psp-connectivity/

I am loving this game! I couldn't get online last night so I just got my A and B license. Did anyone check out the special events? did you guys try the top gear event with the stupid volkswagen van? that stupid event sucks @$$!!! those damn things never go past 50 something miles and it takes forever to reach that speed not to mention that going off the track by a bit gets you disqualified. ugh

Yamauchi Promises Updates

Yamauchihas promised that GT5 would be ”upgrading every week, every month” to polish up the game’s performance, with the first major fix targeting the racer’s online component.

“Online updates are planned of course for leaderboards and matchmaking – [they're] all planned in the process of evolution,” he said.

yup..all im doing so far is playing Gran turismo,it's just a blast using the Driving force GT wheel.

got too tired of the Call of duty Expansion,I mean Black op's

Gran Turismo 5 v1.02 Update Available for Download

The latest 1.02 update for Gran Turismo 5 has just made available for download. 1.02 allows the game to take advantage of Polyphony Digital’s upgraded server infrastructure while enabling maximum power and weight restrictions for online races.

This is apparently the November 27th update that Yamauchi mentioned to Eurogamer, which will “double” the game’s online capacity from 500,000 to one million simultaneous connections.

I was loving this game... until my ps3 beeped at me three times and I got a flashing red light :(

Yes, there are off-road and rally tracks GB. They are in special events, I haven't gotten to extreme or expert yet so there may be more events in there, not sure.

i dunno wtf it was. i think prologue. i was pissed cause the last GT I played was the original one and all i remember is off road races and it was awesome. I get this thang and it just sucked IMO. anyway, I may or may not get this. I would think it would be alot of fun with the proper wheel controller.

i played a bit of my friends game this past week. its pretty fun and the mechanics are really good. it takes a good amount of time to get to the good cars as we put in prolly 3-4 hours and was only able to buy a level 2 car and get about 80% of the way through b license.

the menu system does REALLY suck though. its like they didn't care to take any time in organizing the darn thing

Gran Turismo 5 Megathread - Out Now!

So far I'm liking it but I am a bit disappointed. I've been a big GT fan for quite a while but unfortunately I think GT5 had way to much hype. That's bound to be the case after five years of development along with multiple delays. I feel like the final product doesn't reflect that.

My main issues are with the menus and interface like you guys already mentioned. They just don't flow very well at all.

But my biggest problem which goes along with that is the used car dealership. It's a complete cluster f$&@. Only a select 30 or so out of 200 available at one time. You have to constantly keep checking back to see if something you want is available. It's the worst when a specific race has a required car (pre 1970 japan) and you have to hope that something pops up in the used car section. But on top if that there's no way to compare that car that does happen to pop up to otherwise that meet the requirement. So you end up buying a car you really don't like just because it's available and you have no idea what may coming down the pipeline. Completely useless.

Also I think standard cars do look pretty crappy. I kind of wish they would have given us 350-400 premiums and no standards at all. Oh well.

Another one of my complaints is painting the car. You have to obtain a paint color by actually buying a car that has that color? That makes absolutely no sense to me, but I haven't spent a lot of time with it so maybe there's more to it that I'm not noticing. I just feel like I have no incentive to paint a car if I need to buy a car with that color anyway.

All that being said the actually driving mechanics are great and it's a ridiculous amount of fun to take a premium car around the track but those few points I mentioned above are really making parts of this game incredibly frustrating.

Also, photo mode is great. I've already dumped hours into it.