Gran Turismo 5 - Academy Edition announced!

Jan 29, 2009
Gran Turismo 5 (also known as GT5) the fifth edition of the highly acclaimed Gran Turismo racing video game series, developed by Polyphony Digital and published by Sony Computer Entertainment. Expanding on the Prologue version, which was first released in Japan on December 13, 2007 and intended to give an impression of the final game, it will be the first of the main numbered series to feature on the PlayStation 3.

gt5coverart.png

As found in the Prologue, and for the first time in the numbered Gran Turismo series, the game is set to feature cars from Ferrari, including the Ferrari F2007 Formula One World Championship car. In addition to Prologue features, it will also include the Test Track from the BBC motoring show Top Gear, and will greatly expand on the number of cars available to over 9000. There will also be a 16 player online mode as in GT5 Prologue.

In an April 2008 interview, Kazunori Yamauchi revealed that 150 people had worked on Gran Turismo 5 for four years, with all of Polyphony Digital's 120 employees working on GT5, and the game costing 50 times more to develop than 1997's Gran Turismo. He also confessed that GT5 might not be released until after 2009. In a July 2008 interview with IGN, Yamauchi mentioned that at the moment, Polyphony Digital is focused on updates for Gran Turismo 5 Prologue and that Gran Turismo 5 may not be released until 2010.

20081003gt5prologue.jpg

On November 30, 2008. Sony’s chief executive in Southern Europe, James Armstrong, revealed in a statement to a Spanish newspaper that GT5 is expected to be released around Christmas 2009. This would probably mean a late Summer release for Japan and an Autumn/Winter release for Europe and North America. This release date has yet to be confirmed as an official time of release by Polyphony Digital.

Limited Collector’s Edition:

4701985112_792b25f7d6.jpg

4701984840_59b88b3fa6.jpg

Screens:

800x600_g37_004_800x450a.jpg

800x600_g37_001_800x450a.jpg

800x600_g37_002_800x450a.jpg

800x600_sema2009_001_800x450a.jpg

800x600_sema2009_002_800x450a.jpg

800x600_sema2009_005_800x450a.jpg

800x600_sema2009_010_800x450a.jpg

800x600_sema2009_011_800x450a.jpg

800x600_sema2009_012_800x450a.jpg

800x600_tt_001_800x450a.jpg

800x600_tt_003_800x450a.jpg

800x600_tt_004_800x450a.jpg

800x600_tt_005_800x450a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Gran Turismo's dad Kazunori Yamauchi has told Eurogamer that Gran Turismo 5 is "at a point we can release it any time we want".

"I want to release it as fast as I can," Yamauchi told us, "but GT5 for us, when you talk about its status, it's at a point we can release it any time we want, but we can always keep working on it. It's very important for us to make sure everything is done perfectly and everything is done in detail."

Yamauchi also discussed possible connectivity between Gran Turismo PSP - due out with the PSPgo on 1st October - and GT5. "We're hoping maybe to make it so you can share the garage with the PSP version so that cars you unlock on PSP will be available immediately on GT5," he said.

Elsewhere, Yamauchi said the PSP version would hopefully be about a gigabyte in size when it's released for digital download, but it's unlikely to receive any downloadable content afterwards.

you guys buying into the feud between forza devs and PD? lots of stink being made by the forza guys while PD remains silent. is this a case of big brother ignoring little brother, or is it as Dan Greenawalt (forza director) said it, that Forza has surpassed GT and thats why they haven't shown up (paraphrased)?

you guys buying into the feud between forza devs and PD? lots of stink being made by the forza guys while PD remains silent. is this a case of big brother ignoring little brother, or is it as Dan Greenawalt (forza director) said it, that Forza has surpassed GT and thats why they haven't shown up (paraphrased)?

PD has always been quiet, they are japanese. Let them say what they want, prove it in your games...

Forza Bribes voters

We live in a very competitive world, and this is apparent in the video game industry where publishers and developers are constantly trying to get a leg up on their competition, whether it’s through clever marketing or brilliant feats of engineering. But what is NOT acceptable is when a publisher or developer uses bribes to gain an advantage. Che Chou, the community manager at Turn 10, has done exactly this, and we feel compelled to inform our readers about the dishonest tactics that the Forza Motorsport developer has chosen to carry out.

Here is Chou’s post on the Forza forums:

“Hey all. Apparently, CNET.com is having a face-off between Forza and GT. We all know which game is we’d like to see win, so go here: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-10256571-48.html

And vote for Forza Motorsport 3! Afterwards, come to this thread and post a message letting us know you’ve done it. We’ll gift you a random unicorn! It’s that easy. Do it now!”

So what’s a “unicorn”? It’s a very rare type of car in Forza 2 that can only be found in the game’s Auction House. Some of them are sold for millions of credits, and are comprised of a handful of vehicles, including the 2005 Lotus Exige Espionage, and 2000 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME. So the fact that Turn 10 is giving these out for free to users who vote for Forza over Gran Turismo in CNET’s poll is a very big deal.

You can check out the Forza bribery forum thread here, where you can literally see feedback on how the poll’s results steadily turned in favor of Forza 3. Here are just a few of the comments you can find from the thread’s posters.

MorroidaZico:

“Done voting for Forza. But man, honestly, us Forza lovers know how better Forza is as a game, but for those who have no idea what a racing simultator is or what the two franchises are all about, the GT video looks a lot more appealing.”

LightnigWarr:

“Ha ha, you’re bribing us with a nice car …. I like it.”

Trystan Spyder:

“What are we basing these votes on? I’m not sure CNET would be happy to know that the developer of Forza were bribing people for votes.”

Lnin0:

“I voted Forza 3 but I have to say based on the trailers GT looks more impressive.”

Here’s what we’d like to know at PSLS: What’s your opinion on this matter? Is it fair to give out freebies in order to skew poll results? Let us know in the comment section below.

source: playstationlifestyle.net/2009/06/09/forza-developer-using-bribes-to-skew-cnet-poll/

desperation, or smart marketing?

he also said the game is complete enough to be released and outdo competition *wink forza3* {****} but its not up the gold perfect standard of Kazunori Yamauchi

desperation. Forza has always been inferior to the GT series. I watched all teh Forza stuff at E3 and teh GT stuff. Forza just doesnt have the level of graphical finesse that GT has. Forza looks good and all, but it still, imo, looks more arcady than true to life sim. I must admit i am GT biased, but im trying to look past that. Forza to me always looked like it was a step behind the GT series in every aspect.

RUMOR: UK Release Date Announced

Mark your calendars now for the 27th of November, 2009. That’s when you’ll be able to get your hands on Gran Turismo 5 in the UK, according to Play. We’ve checked our usual Sony press sources and there’s no confirmed date from them yet, but the 27th is at least a Friday, so let’s hope it checks out. We’ll continue to keep an eye on this but we’ve heard recently that both version of GT, 5 and the PSP one, are pretty much done and ready to go, so a late 2009 release does hold some weight - here’s hoping.

In related news, Codemasters must be kicking themselves because the F1 license is dead. Autosport writes that following a four-hour meeting at Renault’s Enstone factory, Ferrari, McLaren, Renault, BMW Sauber, Toyota, Brawn, Red Bull Racing and Scuderia Toro Rosso said they had grown frustrated with the FIA’s stance on some issues and had decided to create a series of their own. I don’t follow F1 so have no idea of the implications of this, apart from the notion that Gran Turismo 5 is probably safer sticking to the WRC and NASCAR licenses it has already picked up.

source: thesixthaxis.com/2009/06/19/gran-turismo-5-gets-uk-release-date/

this whole thing is basically based off of a Play.com release date listed in the game's description. no confirmation from PD or Sony, so i wouldn't really trust it, but i put it on here just because we need some morsel of hope on this game.

Last edited:
SCEE has told GOONL!NE that a release date for Gran Turismo 5 is still to be confirmed.

It comes as it was discovered that Play.com had the game down for November 27th 2009 with Game having it down for September (picked up by TheSixthAxis).

But a SCEE rep told us that a date for the game was to be confirmed, simply stating:

The release date for GT5 is still TBC.

But it does now strongly indicate a 2009 release for the game after PD’s Kazunori Yamauchi said that they could release GT5 antime.

I want to release it as fast as I can. but GT5 for us, when you talk about its status, it’s at a point we can release it any time we want, but we can always keep working on it. It’s very important for us to make sure everything is done perfectly and everything is done in detail.

Dont count this one out yet, but consider it knocked back for now.

source: goonlinegames.net/2009/06/19/gran-turismo-5-date-to-be-confirmed/

Yamauchi: GT5 release date will be announced soon

In a short but sweet interview with AutoWeek magazine which must have fallen through the cracks with all the other E3 news, GT series creator Kazunori Yamauchi stated that “We will give the release date of Gran Turismo 5 soon.” The question remains, though - just how soon is “soon”? Speculation is mounting in our forums, with many pointing towards the upcoming Tokyo Game Show this September 24-27. Aside from taking place on Polyphony Digital’s home turf (their offices are located in Tokyo), the 2007 TGS show is where they announced the release date for GT5 Prologue. While this is just speculation, you can see the pieces of the puzzle would fit together quite nicely.

Another surprisingly interesting portion of the interview came when Yamauchi was asked about Gran Turismo 1’s development:

AW: How hard was it to make that first game?

KY: It took five years. In those five years, we could not see the end. I would wake up at work, go to sleep at work. It was getting cold, so I knew it must be winter. I estimate I was home only four days a year.

He also mentioned the original game was created by a staff of only 7 people! Oh, how things have changed….

source: gtplanet.net/yamauchi-we-will-give-the-release-date-of-gt5-soon/

RUMOR: GT5 out this December?

Gran Turismo 5 creator Kazunori Yamauchi stated last month that Polyphony Digital could potentially release the game at “any time”. This came as a surprise to many considering the game wasn’t present in playable form at E3, but rather in a gameplay trailer. However, if Amazon is correct then Yamauchi definitely wasn’t kidding.

According to Amazon’s official listing for North America, Sony will release Gran Turismo 5 on December 29th, 2009. The fact that this date falls on a Tuesday only adds more credence since game publishers typically release their titles to retailers on Tuesdays. Oh, and you may remember this little tidbit spilled by SCEE chief executive James Armstrong last December.

Even though this isn’t an official release date from Sony, most games on Amazon get just a “available for pre-order” tag and/or an estimated fiscal year release date if the actual date hasn’t been officially set. For example, God of War III is tied to April 1st, 2010, the beginning of the 2010 Fiscal Year. And Final Fantasy XIII and Versus XIII have similar release estimates, for December 31st, 2010.

Unfortunately, for now, we’ll have to peg this as a rumor until we get official confirmation from Sony. However, we have contacted Sony for official word on Gran Turismo 5’s release date, and will update when we get a response.

source: playstationlifestyle.net/2009/07/29/gran-turismo-5-gets-holiday-09-release-date/

get ready for a lot of these rumors until Sony announces an official release date. although this is a more substantial rumor, i still wouldn't get your hopes up too much. it doesn't make a ton of sense to release the game 4 days after christmas, but if it ends up being that way you won't find me complaining too much :D