Gran Turismo 5 - Academy Edition announced!

Jan 29, 2009
Gran Turismo 5 (also known as GT5) the fifth edition of the highly acclaimed Gran Turismo racing video game series, developed by Polyphony Digital and published by Sony Computer Entertainment. Expanding on the Prologue version, which was first released in Japan on December 13, 2007 and intended to give an impression of the final game, it will be the first of the main numbered series to feature on the PlayStation 3.

gt5coverart.png

As found in the Prologue, and for the first time in the numbered Gran Turismo series, the game is set to feature cars from Ferrari, including the Ferrari F2007 Formula One World Championship car. In addition to Prologue features, it will also include the Test Track from the BBC motoring show Top Gear, and will greatly expand on the number of cars available to over 9000. There will also be a 16 player online mode as in GT5 Prologue.

In an April 2008 interview, Kazunori Yamauchi revealed that 150 people had worked on Gran Turismo 5 for four years, with all of Polyphony Digital's 120 employees working on GT5, and the game costing 50 times more to develop than 1997's Gran Turismo. He also confessed that GT5 might not be released until after 2009. In a July 2008 interview with IGN, Yamauchi mentioned that at the moment, Polyphony Digital is focused on updates for Gran Turismo 5 Prologue and that Gran Turismo 5 may not be released until 2010.

20081003gt5prologue.jpg

On November 30, 2008. Sony’s chief executive in Southern Europe, James Armstrong, revealed in a statement to a Spanish newspaper that GT5 is expected to be released around Christmas 2009. This would probably mean a late Summer release for Japan and an Autumn/Winter release for Europe and North America. This release date has yet to be confirmed as an official time of release by Polyphony Digital.

Limited Collector’s Edition:

4701985112_792b25f7d6.jpg

4701984840_59b88b3fa6.jpg

Screens:

800x600_g37_004_800x450a.jpg

800x600_g37_001_800x450a.jpg

800x600_g37_002_800x450a.jpg

800x600_sema2009_001_800x450a.jpg

800x600_sema2009_002_800x450a.jpg

800x600_sema2009_005_800x450a.jpg

800x600_sema2009_010_800x450a.jpg

800x600_sema2009_011_800x450a.jpg

800x600_sema2009_012_800x450a.jpg

800x600_tt_001_800x450a.jpg

800x600_tt_003_800x450a.jpg

800x600_tt_004_800x450a.jpg

800x600_tt_005_800x450a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
4906979050_1963c3a719_b.jpg

Single Player Career Modes: A-Spec and B-Spec

In A-Spec, you are the driver and it will be your driving skills that decide where you stand on the grid.

B-Spec, you are the Team Director, and your job is to study the competition and properly play to your driver’s strengths to come out on top. Winning will be a team effort, with every race a chance to improve your driver’s technique and help him develop into a top-tier driver. This is a brand new style of racing.

4906391081_ea67a06a9a_b.jpg

Garage: A Virtual Rolodex for Your Rides

Gran Turismo 5 gives you the chance to own over 1000 hyper-detailed cars, and the Garage section will be their home, complete with numerous easy-to-use categorizing tools that would make Melvil Dewey rethink his system.

4906391029_754ac90e7f_b.jpg

Your personal collection will come from a couple of different areas, two of the main ones being Dealers (for new cars) or Used Car Dealers. But regardless of where you purchased, every car will be more than welcome to enter the Tuning Shop for body and suspension kits, exhaust systems and more performance parts than you can shake a stick at.

My Lounge: Virtual Track Days, Anytime, Anywhere.

Gran Turismo 5’s new revamped online system takes the essence of spending a day at the track and recreates the same level of excitement and competition in your game room (minus the smell of burnt rubber and bald tires).

4906391113_afdc5eafec_b.jpg

Course Maker: Unleash your Inner-Architect

Be inspired by Gran Turismo’s 70 track variations to generate a super-hybrid course or come up with a dream course the likes that no one has ever seen before.

4906391145_537a9d2fb6.jpg
4906979240_a1ff2888ac.jpg

Kart Racing: A Pro-Driver’s Training Wheels

A large majority of real-life professional drivers had their start on karts, as they are a perfect way for first time drivers to learn racing theory and seasoned pros to hone their skills … and the same goes for Gran Turismo drivers. Gran Turismo’s Kart racing mode gives you a chance to experience this kind of training (virtually of course ).

Nürburgring

Hey, everyone. Taku Imasaki here with a bit of Gran Turismo 5 news. If you saw our website this morning, then you already know about the news.

If you’re a true racing fan, you know that Nürburgring is a world-renowned racing complex in Nürburg, Germany.

It’s known for being extremely challenging, a grueling testing ground for even the most seasoned race drivers and the most highly tuned performance cars. It’s home of various world-famous races including the Nürburgring 24 Hours race, and used as a testing ground for bleeding-edge performance cars by companies like GM, Dodge, Nissan, Lexus, and Ferrari.

nord_004wa.jpg

In the words of Mr. GT, Kazunori Yamauchi himself, “For a car enthusiast, the Nürburgring is the equivalent to what places like the “Eiger Nordwand” or “Mount Everest” means to a mountaineer. There is that special allure about it that you just can’t explain in words.”

Nürburgring is definitely a favorite among GT fans, and I’m excited to share with you that Gran Turismo 5 will feature its three courses: the Grand Prix course, the Nordschleife, and the Nürburgring 24 Hours course. As you can see from these screenshots, these courses have been beautifully recreated. Check out the other five brand new screenshots here:

gp_001wa.jpg

gp_002wa.jpg

gp_003wa.jpg

gp_005wa.jpg

nord_001wa.jpg

PS3 gets Titanium Blue makeover for Gran Turismo 5 launch bundle; landing in Japan on November 3

10x08189ub234tewfja.jpg

Shock of all horrors, Gran Turismo 5 will actually, finally launch in Japan and Europe on November 3. Of course, being more concerned with hardware as we are, our excitement is focused on the rich blue hue that will adorn PS3 consoles bundled with the grandiosely delayed racing game over in Nippon this fall. The ¥35,980 ($421) Gran Turismo 5 Racing Pack will be composed of a Limited Edition copy of the game plus a repainted skinny PlayStation 3 with a 160GB hard drive. Time to give your old importer buddy a call, eh?

gt5ps3blue.jpg

gt5ps3blue2.jpg

Who knows this has been in the works for way too long, at this point it has become and mere urban legend lol I doubt we'll see it before 2010 or even 2011 at the rate they are going.

It has got me completely lost. LOL

Each wind is a Industry Insider. Reunion is a release, Reunite is a worldwide release. A bird is a car, a skypath is a track, birdtamer is a driver, guilds alliances means clans/driving teams.

So it says.

1. Either December 1, 2009 or 12 months from now which would be March 2010.

2. Over 600 cars, 96 tracks, some older cars remodeled for GT5.

3. Race/Track editor

4. Online capability with driving teams and VOIP.

5. This is another trickier one. As It could mean GT5 is on PSN and blu-ray release, or that two different BD's will be released, or some people think its a in-game pick and choose, i think its #2 possiblity.

6. GT5 PSP, but it seems as its made for the PSP2..

"That different reunion will not happen in the realm same as the known one, but in the different realm which still has not been uncovered to the birdtamers. That realm will resemble realm already known but it will be divine new and made in the image of it."

Yeah, I got some of it talking about the cars and tracks. The rest of the stuff lost me though. If it's not later than march 2010 I'd be happy, but wouldn't be surprised if it gets pushed back. It is GT afterall LOL

Obviously everything that follows is only rumor but you will see these are credible and drolement especially precise.

A mysterious stranger now rampant on a GT5 forum in Japan and it was in france.

Gran Turismo 5 will be presented at E3 in the U.S., he will release on PS3 and PSP ....

And especially following information cited by the source with in addition a list of all the circuits that will be present in the game:

Online game at 16 with voice chat in game

Possibility of creating teams online

600 vehicles

Rally and race tourism and F1 will be present.

94 circuits, not counting reverse (!)

LIST OF THE CIRCUIT OF THE GAME:

Et voici Circuits Réels : And here Réels Circuits:

Belgium:
○ Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps
○ Circuit Zolder

China:
○ the Shanghai International Circuit

France:
• Circuit de la Sarthe (Le Mans)
- Along with baffles
- Long without baffles
○ Circuit de Nevers Magny-Cours

germany:
○ Hockenheimring
Nürburgring
Nordschleife

Italy:
○ Autodromo Nazionale Monza
○ Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari (Imola)

: Japan:
• Fuji Speedway
- 80's -
- 90's -
- configuration F -
- configuration GT -
• Suzuka Circuit •
- GP Circuit -
- East
- West
• Twin Ring Motegi
- Road Course -
- East Short Course -
- West Short Course -
- Super Speedway -
• Tsukuba Circuit

Monaco :
• Circuit de Monaco

Portugal :
○ Autódromo do Estoril

: Spain:
○ Circuito Permanente de Jerez
• Circuit Ricardo Tormo (Valencia)

UK:
○ Brands Hatch
○ Silverstone Circuit ○
○ Top Gear Test Track ○

USA :
• Daytona International Speedway •
- Road Course
- Superspeedway -
• Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca
○ Indianapolis Motor Speedway ○
- Rectangular Oval Track -
- Grand Prix Road Course -
• Infineon Raceway •
- Sport Car Course -
- Stock Car Course -

Imaginary circuits in real places:

China:
• Hong Kong

France:
• Paris, George V
• Paris, Opera

: Italy:
• Citta di Aria (Assisi) •
• Costa di Amalfi (Capri) •

: Japan:
• Tokyo, Route 246

Korea:
• Seoul

Spain:
○ Madrid

Switzerland:
• Eiger Nordwand (Kleine Scheidegg, Bern)
- Court - Short
- Long - Long

UK : UK:
• London • London
- Court - Short
- Long - Long

USA : USA:
• • El Capitan (Yosemite National Park, California)
• • Las Vegas Drag Strip
• New York
• Seattle

: Imaginary circuits:

• High Speed Ring
• Apricot Hill •
• Autumn Ring
• Deep Forest Raceway •
• Grand Valley Speedway •
- East Section -
- Speedway -
• Midfield Raceway •
• Driving Park •
- Beginner Course -
- Motorland -
- Test Course -
• Trial Mountain •
• Clubman Stage Route 5 •
• Special Stage Route 5 •
• Special Stage Route 11 •

Rally circuit in real places

France : France:
• Chamonix

: French Polynesia:
• Tahiti

Switzerland:
• • Swiss Alps

USA : USA:
• • Cathedral Rocks (Yosemite National Park, California)
• Grand Canyon

Rally circuits imaginary

• Ice Arena

The game worldwide release in December.

(no info on the weather and the management of damage but we know that we will be racing at night)

These information are only "rumors" until they are confirmed but the source is reliable ULTRA fair, he had announced at the time all the details on GT5 Prologue and the presence of Nuremberg etc etc ... in short it is almost find SOMETHING what. (as shown in the list of courses that may not suggested that this seems "real")

Whatever happens Gran Turismo 5 arrives my brothers and sisters gamer!

You don’t have to decrypt any secret messages for this tidbit of news! Coming straight from Kazunori Yamauchi himself, weather changes and night racing can be expected soon. GTPlanet user MGR managed to dig up the following interview with Yamauchi-san, conducted by Audi. It’s part of the Audi R8 Meets Gran Turismo 5 mini-site and documentary, which gives two professional drivers the opportunity to compare the R8 in both the real and virtual world (also check out the video - including footage of the Nurburgring Nordschleife running in GT5: Prologue - on GTPlanet’s YouTube Channel). Unfortunately, the video is in German, but Yamauchi’s interview is in print and can easily be translated. In addition to dynamic weather and lighting, he also reiterates the inclusion of damage. Here’s what he had to say…

Please excuse the rough, automated translation. The original can be viewed on the last page of this PDF document.

FIVE QUESTIONS TO KAZUNORI YAMAUCHI

21jrkoyAudi: The graphics of GT5 Prologue “is incredible realistic. What can you still in this game improve?

Kazunori Yamauchi: GT5 is a greater choice on motor vehicles and Routes offer. And we provide more features for Online communities to Disposal. We are also working with high live close to a graphic representation for rain and night.

Audi: How do you manage it, the cars as realistic in the game is over?

Kazunori Yamauchi: In order to replicate cars so graphically that they are each model the same position they need we are the real models. At the Audi R8, it was particularly difficult for high-quality materials of the interior to reproduce. Even with the body, it was not easy, level, This incredible precision to express. Not only the cars, as every tree looks at the Nürburgring his real counterpart frighteningly similar. Such influence Details the game behavior? We have the greatest respect for the innate
Power of the cars and also the nature. Therefore we consider every detail very carefully — even if it’s just a bush on the edge of the racetrack is. Our passion and our commitment are perhaps not always immediately, but they seem subconsciously to every player.

2e49ilxAudi: What games can the fans of GT soon expect?

Kazunori Yamauchi: We are working on it, including weather changes, a race which may affect index. And damage to racing cars we will soon be able to simulate.

Audi: We dare a glance into the distant future. What is Gran Turismo 9 anything to offer?

Kazunori Yamauchi: I find it difficult to follow closely the developments so far predict. Gran Turismo is growing with the Automotive industry. When we consider the future of GT, we also consider the future of the Automotive industry.

I'm wondering if the weather implemention will work for the most minute details, like a hotter track for better grip on the tires or icy tracks for the opposite. The possiblity for this weather system is endless. All we got for GT4 was 1 rainy track. Yeah, 1.

Also, I'm having problems getting GT5P online for racing due to its client to client status. Am I supposed to port forward my router or get a new router that does a NAT 2 connection (mine only does NAT 3)? Problem is, I might screw up my online settings on the router.

I'm wondering if the weather implemention will work for the most minute details, like a hotter track for better grip on the tires or icy tracks for the opposite. The possiblity for this weather system is endless. All we got for GT4 was 1 rainy track. Yeah, 1.

Also, I'm having problems getting GT5P online for racing due to its client to client status. Am I supposed to port forward my router or get a new router that does a NAT 2 connection (mine only does NAT 3)? Problem is, I might screw up my online settings on the router.

You know how much of a pain in the butt it'll be to do online in the rain? People smashing everyone out of the race

You want DMZ on your router and you want NAT 1...
Well all that stuff is just too complicated for me. I just don't understand computing at all and I don't want to go through all the hassle of setting up all that just for one game. I think when ever I change my broadband service to the 24Mb service from BT and get a new router, maybe, I'll give it a shot.

You want DMZ on your router and you want NAT 1...

wee woo wee woo wee woo

The internet police would like to inform you that Nat 1 is bad mmkay, it means your @$$ is open to the entire internet world to be cornholed at will

Nat 2 means you're behind a router OR firewall so you are safer than Nat 1 - Nat 1 means you are NOT behind a firewall or router OR you have DMZ enabled which means you are any hackers beyotch so plz to not promote nat 1 unless you hate people or are in closed intrawebs system not connected to internets plzkthxbai

wee woo wee woo wee woo

The internet police would like to inform you that Nat 1 is bad mmkay, it means your @$$ is open to the entire internet world to be cornholed at will

Nat 2 means you're behind a router OR firewall so you are safer than Nat 1 - Nat 1 means you are NOT behind a firewall or router OR you have DMZ enabled which means you are any hackers beyotch so plz to not promote nat 1 unless you hate people or are in closed intrawebs system not connected to internets plzkthxbai
Oh my god, Cali wants to hack me! I think I have to do something better like port forwarding or something.

Gran Turismo 5: Prologue has sold 3.3 million

According to Polyphony Digital, this "extended demo" of the upcoming racing simulator has now sold more than 3.3 million copies. Seeing as this is a demo, although a quite large demo of the game, this is quite impressive.

The demo is availible on Blu-ray disc as well as via Playstation Network. However, there is no mention on Polyphony's page if the salesnumbers include downloads from PSN or not. Potentially, the numbers could be even higher tahn 3.3 million.

The question still remains if Gran Turismo 5 (the full game) can become the best selling of the Gran Turismo series. According to the list Gren Turismo 3: A-Spec has sold 14.89 million copies on the Playstation 2.

Polyphony has promised amazing weather effects, tons of more cars and tracks, and hopefully they will have implemented damage when Gran Turismo 5 ships. In order to compete with Forza, they should also have a brilliant online part of the game, as well as tons of customization.

Let us hope Sony will give us more news on this game at E3 2009.