Gran Turismo 6 Megathread

Gran Turismo 6 to have faster development time than GT5

Speaking with Joystiq in Japan last week, Kazunori Yamauchi, CEO of Polyphony Digital, admitted that development of Gran Turismo 6 will not be as maddeningly long as Gran Turismo 5's. Well, that's a relief.

Said Yamauchi: "GT5 is a title that was pretty much remade from scratch, but because we did that, the next version is actually going to be faster -- the time period it's going to be released."

“But I think when GT5 comes out, we’re still going to have things that are left undone, and whether we complete that in GT6, or the next version for PSP, I’m not sure yet."

“I’ve been working very hard for the last 15 years, and I think that hard work is just going to continue.”

Well, we've certainly been pleased with your undeniable efforts thus far, Mr. Yamauchi. Gran Turismo 5 is due out in Japan on March 31, 2010.

makes sense. would they have time if it took that long anyways? itll take them 3+ years for GT5, if it took that long for GT6 itll be 2013/2014. ps4 might be out then.

Is Gran Turismo 6 in the works? "Yeah," says Yamauchi-san

Kazunori Yamauchi, CEO of Polyphony Digital, has let slip that the studio has already started work on a successor to Gran Turismo 5.

Yamauchi-san made the comments during his appearance at the SEMA trade show this week, where Autoweek quizzed him as to whether or not the 1969 Chevy Camero – the winner of this year’s SEMA Gran Turismo Best of Show accolade – would appear in the next instalment of the venerable racing franchise, on account of it being too late to show up in GT5.

In response, the GT creator stated, “Right,” which prompted the obvious question regarding if a sixth game is currently in the works, to which Yamauchi-san replied, “Yeah,” before quickly adding, “It’s not something that we can talk that lightly on. It took 2,000 days to get all the ideas that went into GT5. It’s just too early to be talking about GT6.”

Keeping the limelight fixed firmly on GT5, Yamauchi offered more insight as to why the title was pushed back from its original November release date.

“It was really to adjust it so it would be perfect,” he explained.

“Near the end, the people from Sony came to our development studio and told us it was good enough and that we could release it. At the time, I probably wasn’t thinking very clearly, being as exhausted as I was, and I talked myself into thinking this was good enough and it went to release.”

“But all the things I thought were not enough yet, the users said the exact same thing when the game came out. That was something I regretted very much when that happened because I knew it was coming. And that happened at the beginning of my career, and it was something I vowed would never happen again,” he added.

Yamauchi confirmed earlier this week that GT5 had gone gold, though Sony has yet to pin down a new release date for the hotly anticipated PS3-exclusive. Stay tuned for more info as it becomes available.

Yamauchi "doesn't know" if Gran Turismo 6 will hit PS3

Kazunori Yamauchi, CEO of Polyphony Digital, has conceded he’s unsure as to whether or not the next instalment in the Gran Turismo series will be released for PlayStation 3.

The GT creator let slip a few weeks back that development has already kicked off on a sixth instalment in the venerable racing series, though he couldn’t say for certain if it would show up on Sony’s current generation machine.

“Ten years ago it was easier to predict what would happen three years in the future,” said Yamauchi-san, during GT5’s launch event in Madrid this week. “Nowadays no-one knows what happens in the future. In three years, we don’t know what will happen.”