Jan 29, 2009
JOIN THE HDN CREW FOR GTA ONLINE HERE!

Release date: September 17, 2013

Cover art:
actual_1364906194.jpg

Gameplay:

Trailers:

Old info:
Grand Theft Auto (GTA) is a highly successful video game series created by Dave Jones, later by Dan Houser and Sam Houser, and game designer Zachary Clarke and primarily developed by Scottish company Rockstar North (formerly DMA Design) and published by Rockstar Games.

The gameplay consists of a mixture of action, adventure, driving, and occasional role-playing, stealth and racing elements and has gained controversy for its adult nature and violent themes. The series focuses around many different protagonists who attempt to rise through the criminal underworld, although their motives for doing so vary in each game. The antagonist in each game is commonly a character who has betrayed them or their organization or someone who has the most impact impeding their progress.

The series began in 1997 and currently has nine stand-alone games with a tenth one on the way, and two expansion packs for the original. Film veterans such as Danny Dyer, Michael Madsen, Burt Reynolds, Dennis Hopper, Gary Busey, Samuel L. Jackson, Chris Penn, James Woods, Joe Pantoliano, Frank Vincent, Robert Loggia, Kyle MacLachlan, Peter Fonda and Ray Liotta have all voiced major characters in many installments in the series. The name of the series and its games are derived from grand theft auto, a term referring to motor vehicle theft. As of 26 March 2008, the franchise has sold over 70 million copies worldwide; according to Take-Two Interactive.[1]

The games allow people to take on the role of a criminal in a big city, typically an individual who rises through the ranks of organised crime over the course of the game. Various missions are set for completion by the figureheads of the city underworld, generally criminal, which must be completed to progress through the storyline, assassinations, and other crimes feature regularly, but occasionally taxi driving, firefighting, pimping, street racing, or learning to fly fixed-wing aircraft are also involved as alternate adventures, which can be done at any time during the game, with the exception of the periods performing main missions.

In later titles, notably those released after Grand Theft Auto 2, the player is given a more developed storyline, in which they are forced to overcome an event where they are either betrayed and left for dead or experienced an unfortunate event, which serves as motivation for the character to advance in the criminal ladder, and eventually leads to the triumph of the character by the end of the storyline; specific examples of this are the plots for Grand Theft Auto III and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.

The Grand Theft Auto series, belonging to a genre of free-roaming video games called "sandbox games," grants a large amount of freedom to the player in deciding what to do and how to do it through multiple methods of transport and weapons. Unlike most traditional action games, which are structured as a single track series of levels with linear gameplay, in GTA the player can determine the missions they want to undertake, and their relationships with various characters are changed based on these choices. The cities of the games can also be roamed freely at any point in the game, offering many accessible buildings and minor missions. There are exceptions: missions follow a linear, overarching plot, and some city areas must be unlocked over the course of the game.
grand-theft-auto-iv-20080425114847781.jpg
Grand Theft Auto III and subsequent games have more prevalent voice acting, and radio stations, which simulate driving to music with disc jockeys, radio personalities, commercials, talk radio, pop music, and American culture.

The use of vehicles in an explorable urban environment provides a basic simulation of a working city, complete with pedestrians who obey traffic signals. Further details are used to flesh out an open-ended atmosphere that has been used in several other games, such as The Simpsons Hit & Run, which has less emphasis on crime or violence.

The series has courted a great deal of controversy since the release of Grand Theft Auto III. This criticism stems from the focus on illegal activities in comparison with traditional "heroic" roles that other games offer. The main character can commit a wide variety of crimes and violent acts while dealing with only temporary consequences, including the killing of policemen and military personnel. Opponents of violent video games, such as Jack Thompson, Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton and Julia Boseman, believe that players will try to emulate this behaviour, while proponents believe it provides an emotional outlet, as such actions in real life would have serious consequences.

The success of the Grand Theft Auto series has resulted in Guinness World Records awarding the series 10 world records in the Guinness World Records: Gamer's Edition 2008. These records include Most Guest Stars in a Video Game Series, Largest Voice Cast in a Video Game (GTA: San Andreas), Largest In-Game Soundtrack (GTA: San Andreas), and Most Successful Entertainment Launch Of All Time (GTA IV).

Last edited by a moderator:
For months now PlayStation 3 gamers have been asking when will the Lost & Damned DLC come to the PSN Store?
PSW Magazine recently published an article in their magazine saying that Microsoft only had a 6 Month Exclusivity Deal for 'The Lost and Damned' add-on for Grand Theft Auto IV. This means that the add-on will be released on August 20th 2009. So everyone get ready because it will come sooner rather than later!

was vice city the one with the 80's music? if so, the only i played it was for that. actually i never really "played"...i just drove around listening to the music.

i never really cared for gta. especially the first one. just looked like crap to me and then when they tried to actually make it a game the graphics were just horrible for what they were trying to do.

I loved all of the GTA games, Vice City was my favorite but San Andreas was awesome to, alot better then IV... alot more to do.

Heh. Well GTA IV just disappointed the hell out of me. Why did Rockstar take a more realistic route? It was a hell of a lot more fun in III, Vice City and San Andreas. What ain't broke, don't fix is all I have to say. Even the trophies can't keep me occupied enough to play it.

I hated GTA IV ... sold it quick after buying it.

Vice City was awesome because if was ground breaking, added a whole lot more elements than GTA3 which was already a hit. Motorcycles were pimp.

The Carlitos way and Scarface themes plus the sounds track sold me on Vice City, which made it my fav. GTA to date. GTA4 was just boring and didnt seem like it would end and when you played it on 1080p it looks horrible its all blurry or fuzzy, and i didnt like most of the radio stations.

I hated GTA IV ... sold it quick after buying it.

Vice City was awesome because if was ground breaking, added a whole lot more elements than GTA3 which was already a hit. Motorcycles were pimp.
Yeah, Vice City I think was the best in the series. God only knows how many hours I spent playing the game. I think I might rebuy it on PC for the mods, including Multi Theft Auto online multiplayer mod...and maybe San Andreas for the PC too. Seriously, if Rockstar wants the reputation it lost after releasing GTA IV back, it has to go back to basics with the crude physics, crazy gameplay and also...the flamethower! Nothing beats that...EVER! Well...maybe the minigun.

GTA IV DLC packs coming to PS3?

The PlayStation 3 may get two additional downloadable content packs for Grand Theft Auto IV, PS3 Informer is reporting. According to a source close to Rockstar, one of the new content packs, named Blood and a Four Leaf Clover, will focus on the Irish family Nico helped in the first episode. While PS3 Informer believes it has confirmed the two DLC packs, we are holding our judgment until more concrete information is available.

The source told PS3 Informer that both of the new DLC packs will be coming to the PS3 and the Xbox 360, which could certainly be a possibility if reports about Microsoft?s timed exclusive with Rockstar are accurate. We?ve heard previous rumors that the first DLC pack, The Lost and the Damned, was coming to the PS3. Those rumors have not been confirmed by Rockstar, however.

Even if Rockstar does not release any GTA IV DLC packs for the PS3, we can at least look forward to its new open-world shooter, Agent, set for a 2010 release. We?ll be sure to keep you informed on any new announcements regarding DLC packs for GTA IV.
________
Iolite portable vaporizer

Last edited:
i loved San Andreas, it's the best one of the series by far IMO followed by Vice City.

I really hope GTA IV DLC comes to the PS3 if not then I'll just wait for GTA V :)

San Andreas was the best GTA hands down. But before we all moan and groan about how GTA4 sucked and what not, you have to think about the whole situation.

I knew that GTA4 would not be anywhere near as good as SA. And I know that the next one will be much better the 4 and close to as good as SA or better. Why?

GTASA was all built with a ship load of already made stuff. 80% of the programming was done prior to the development of SA, simply because it was all done before. The reason SA had so much and was so good was because the Dev's had a lot of time to just add things in.

GTA4 was a huge let down for most and was delayed a lot because it was built from scratch. They had to create the outline for the next generation of GTA's. So that's a lot of time. They wanted to make it as good as they could so it's all ready for the next GTA's. Now that they have everything ready, now that they have seen how players feel about GTA, all they have to do now is improve. Expect the next GTA to be a huge improvement. I'm pretty confident this will be a good one, just as I was confident that GTA4 would not be so great.

IMO, GTA4 was the best it could have been in that time scale. Especially considering it had to be out on 2 consoles at the same time.

New Grand Theft Auto At E3?

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2009/12/25/news-new-grand-theft-auto-at-e3_3F00_.aspx

Jesse Divnich, director of analyst services for Electronic Entertainment Design and Research (EEDAR), believes we may see a glimpse of a new Grand Theft Auto title at E3 in June.

Speaking to Game Informer, Divnich made a big prediction as to what we may see at the industry trade show in June. "I think we’re going to hear about another Grand Theft Auto. I think there won’t be any playable stuff. I think they’ll give you some type of teaser, because we do think that a year from then in 2011 we’re going to see another Grand Theft Auto."

We asked Divnich about whether Sony or Microsoft would try and nab some sort of exclusive rights to the newest GTA, but he thought that those days were over. "I don't foresee Microsoft or Sony attempting to obtain any type of exclusivity with the next Grand Theft Auto. Microsoft paid a lot of money for exclusivity on the downloadable content for GTA IV, which unfortunately did little to move consoles for Microsoft. Back in 2004, the Grand Theft Auto was a huge brand, but only relative to the other brands that existed at the time. While the GTA brand is certainly bigger now than it was five years ago, others have emerged to reach similar levels of success, such as Call of Duty or Guitar Hero. In other words, if Sony gets an exclusive deal on GTA V, it would do little to disrupt Microsoft's ability to move hardware, and vice versa."

For more on what Divnich and others in the industry think might happen in 2010, be sure to check out our Connect feature in the February issue (#202) entitled, "The Road Ahead: Experts & Insiders Look Ahead at 2010".

It's official: Episodes from Liberty City headed to PS3

Sony officially announced tonight that Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City is headed to the PlayStation 3 as a standalone Blu-ray disc. The last chapters of RockStar Games’ Grand Theft Auto IV will be available on March 30.

Both episodes The Lost and Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony will be featured on a single Blu-ray disc. You can also download the episodes individually via the PlayStation Network. The Lost and Damned features the underworld of Liberty City and its motorcycle gangs led by Johnny Klebitz. The Ballad of Gay Tony follows Luis Lopez, who becomes involved in the city’s nightclub scene.

"Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City has been one of the most requested gameplay experiences by PlayStation fans, and we're thrilled to finally bring the closing chapters of the GTA IV story from one of the biggest franchises in gaming to PS3," said Rob Dyer, senior vice president of publisher relations, SCEA.

The game will be available in North America on March 30 for $39.99 USD. The individual episodes will cost $19.99 on the PSN.

There’s been plenty of speculation about when Episodes from Liberty City would hit the PS3. After tonight’s official announcement, it’s nice to see PS3 owners will get to enjoy these episodes in March.

Yea i dont know about you guy's but i enjoyed GTA 4,classic to me....it has that moment stuck in time for me and i'm not even a huge GTA fan,just a overall fun game to play online & offline.

GTA IV is the most expensive videogame ever made

According to a list compiled by the chaps over at Digital Battle, Rockstar’s mammoth crime romp Grand Theft Auto IV has come out on top as the most expensive videogame ever created.

The top ten features quite a few PS3 exclusives, including Gran Turismo 5 in second place, with Metal Gear Solid 4 cracking the top five, and Killzone 2 coming in at number ten.

Other budget busters include Dreamcast epic Shenmue, Xbox 360 outing Too Human and Master Chief’s swansong, Halo 3. Check out the full list below.

1.Grand Theft Auto IV - $100 million
2.Gran Turismo 5 - $80 million
3.Shenmue - $70 million
4.Too Human - $60 million+
5.Metal Gear Solid 4 - $60 million
6.Halo 3 - $55 million
7.APB - $50 million
8.L.A. Noire - $50 million
9.Final Fantasy XII - $48 million
10.Killzone 2 - $45 million