Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
4.67 star(s) Rating: 4.67/5 3 Votes
Title: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 - In theaters TBA

Genre: Action, Adventure, Science Fiction

Director: James Gunn

Cast: Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Bradley Cooper, Vin Diesel, Pom Klementieff, Sean Gunn, Karen Gillan, Elizabeth Debicki, Sylvester Stallone, Michelle Yeoh, Ving Rhames, Miley Cyrus, Michael Rosenbaum

Release: 2021-04-14

Seeing as Disney fires him...could Marvel veto that and rehire him?
Doubtful. Disney owns Marvel.

Pretty sure Fiege had no say in this. It was completely Disneys decision and I doubt he was happy about it.
Seeing as Marvel is going more "cosmic" in the future, Gunn was suppose to be huge in helping bringing that together. Firing him would have been a big wrench in their plans.

Pretty sure Fiege had no say in this. It was completely Disneys decision and I doubt he was happy about it.
Seeing as Marvel is going more "cosmic" in the future, Gunn was suppose to be huge in helping bringing that together. Firing him would have been a big wrench in their plans.

Agreed. I feel like we haven't heard from Feige because he doesn't know what to say about this. He'll have to side with his bosses, but I doubt he agrees with any of this.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaw

More strong words from Batista, without a quick resolution cant see this film making it's 2020 release in fact can see it being bumped right down in the Phase 4 schedule now

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon

More strong words from Batista, without a quick resolution cant see this film making it's 2020 release in fact can see it being bumped right down in the Phase 4 schedule now

I have a newfound respect for Bautista. Disney owns like 50% of Hollywood these days, and Dave doesn't care. I like that. I think it's safe to say that once that contract is up, we won't be seeing anymore Drax in the MCU.

Kurt Russell also commented:

Russell is somewhat consider Disney royalty -- his name is the final thing Walt Disney ever said. His opinion should mean something.

I have a newfound respect for Bautista. Disney owns like 50% of Hollywood these days, and Dave doesn't care. I like that. I think it's safe to say that once that contract is up, we won't be seeing anymore Drax in the MCU.

Kurt Russell also commented:

Russell is somewhat consider Disney royalty -- his name is the final thing Walt Disney ever said. His opinion should mean something.

Congrats to Bautista. He unfortunately won't work much more now… :(

Congrats to Bautista. He unfortunately won't work much more now… :(

I believe he mentioned plans for a full time return to wrestling even before this incident.

Good for him standing by his beliefs and defending someone he considers a friend. Gunn’s tweets were reprehensible and people with regular jobs have similarly been fired for what they have posted on social media. Personally I believe if it were not an issue when they hired him it shouldn’t be a issue now. However, Disney’s responsibility is to its shareholders and if they believed the optics were not worth the hassle it is well within their rights. Guardians have been some of my favorite movies in recent years and it is disappointing that we won’t get the conclusion we expected.

In this order of tweets, you can get an idea of what's currently happening with the James Gunn situation:

Oh, man... what a cluster****.

Here's the full article from Deadline:

Might there be a glimmer of hope for change of heart in the quick banishment of Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn from the Magic Kingdom? Nobody is talking about it, but sources said that back channel conversations are taking place between Marvel Studios and Disney. Sources said the Marvel contingent is trying to persuade Disney to explore a compromise that might bring Gunn back into the fold for Guardians 3, something that clearly would be best for the franchise. There is no clash or strong arming here. I’m told it’s a discussion that comes in the wake of the whole cast declaring their loyalty to Gunn, whose abrupt exit has put a thriving film franchise in a rocky place. One would have to label this 11th hour approach to be a long shot, but the community is talking about it.

Gunn’s regrettable Tweets offered indefensible comments on spectacularly serious subjects like pedophilia and ****, written as long as a decade ago. They were collected and published by The Daily Caller, One America News Network correspondent Jack Posobiec and right wing commentator Mike Cernovich, apparently after Gunn mocked conservative pundit Ben Shapiro. Initial reports encouraged readers to complain to Disney, and the studio responded quickly and decisively to complete a stunning take down: “The offensive attitudes and statements discovered on James’ Twitter feed are indefensible and inconsistent with our studio’s values, and we have severed our business relationship with him,” said Alan Horn, Walt Disney Studios chairman.

It would not be surprising that Marvel Studios’ Kevin Feige would make one last try at rapprochement. Disney’s quick guillotine contrasted dramatically to CBS’s handling of the Les Moonves controversy. Though his problems are self-inflicted, Gunn was banished for an incredibly poor choice of words; Moonves continues to run CBS, pending an investigation into allegations of serious sexual harassment bordering on sexual assault. Anyone at Disney would be hard pressed to say the quick hook has benefited the Guardiansfranchise. The entire cast unanimously wants Gunn back, even as they acknowledge he was an idiot, at a time he was graduating from the Troma schlock horror factory and attempting to be some kind of satirical provocateur. Gunn remains eminently hire-able and a studio chief told me recently he’s eager to give him a picture once Gunn is free of Disney.

Disney and Marvel want to move forward quickly with the next Guardiansinstallment, and one of the reasons the Chris Pratt-starrer Cowboy Ninja Vikingstalled at Universal this week was because the film was undergoing rewrites too close to start of production — a recipe for problems — and it was clear Pratt was on a tight timeline because he has to suit up to play Starlord. Gunn has written a script and Dave Bautista has gone as far as declaring he won’t want to reprise his Drax character unless Marvel uses Gunn’s version. All of this has created acrimony and destabilized a crowd pleasing franchise that grossed a collective $1.6 billion worldwide, with the sequel earning more than the original.

In this white-hot moment, there seems to be a new controversy each day for corporate leaders to navigate. It seems clear what is best for a film franchise that will become damaged goods for the next director. Some have posited that the precocious Thor: Ragnarok‘s Taika Waititi as a perfect fit, but what principled filmmaker will feel good about taking over in such circumstances?

Can even as mighty and as family friendly a corporation as Disney consider being changeable here?

In this order of tweets, you can get an idea of what's currently happening with the James Gunn situation:

Oh, man... what a cluster****.

Here's the full article from Deadline:

That second tweet (the video) killed me. :hilarious:

• Haha
in the world of hyper sensitivity Deadline should be careful calling it a Powwow as Native Americans could take offense

Indeed. Looks like we'll probably be seeing a new actor as Drax, too. :(

Serves them right if so, and I fully respect and understand Bautista's decision, although it'd obviously be a big shame if he were to exit... he was the funniest thing about Infinity War IMO.

• Thanks
Serves them right if so, and I fully respect and understand Bautista's decision, although it'd obviously be a big shame if he were to exit... he was the funniest thing about Infinity War IMO.

He was awesome in Infinity War! Honestly...

The Guardians are going to be so tainted after all of this. Maybe Marvel should just keep them as dust.

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
I think it is unlikely that Bautista doesn’t reprise his role due to contractual obligations. Unless Disney chooses to release him from his contract (why would they) he would likely have to pay damages for breach of contract or retire from acting both of which as I see unlikely. Nevertheless, I expect Vol. 3 to happen and be neither the critical or financial success (regardless of quality) of the previous two because it will be overshadowed by this controversy.