Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
4.67 star(s) Rating: 4.67/5 3 Votes
Title: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 - In theaters TBA

Genre: Action, Adventure, Science Fiction

Director: James Gunn

Cast: Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Bradley Cooper, Vin Diesel, Pom Klementieff, Sean Gunn, Karen Gillan, Elizabeth Debicki, Sylvester Stallone, Michelle Yeoh, Ving Rhames, Miley Cyrus, Michael Rosenbaum

Release: 2021-04-14

Disney has to be blamed for not checking this stuff out before they hired him but I don’t think I can blame them for firing him. Things from the past can come back and bite you when you are a celeb. Some of the things he said were way out of line so I can understand why this happened. I am a big fan of the first 2 movies so I do understand why people are disappointed though.

IMO the MCU is overhyped, overused and overdone. The only real gems for me being the two GOTG epics. They are Gunn, so they are done. Disney are first and foremost a family focused company, so I understand their decision.

The concern I have is that the behemoth that Disney is becoming will result in a trite virtue signalling studio that kills off any off-kilter Hollywood output. And that’s just sad. I blame the snowflake millennials. Man they’re so prissy and uptight.

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon
I really hope people will read this article. I want people to read this article. It's so wonderfully researched. I know Gunn isn't returning; Disney has made that clear. But I want the people out there calling Gunn a huge pile of sh*t to read this article to see that those awful tweets were taken out of context (as any proper-minded individual would consider beforehand). It's awful when a decent person loses their job over B.S. accusations, but it's worse when their actual life is destroyed. I wish Disney would say something to get people off Gunn's back. They took his job away from him... the least they can do for the guy is help him get his life back.

https://medium.com/@joninarebekka/t...d-the-pedophile-in-his-childhood-f7ba23855a82

• Thanks
Reactions: hoppusdelonge
Via The Hollywood Reporter

'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3' Production Put on Hold

The production of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 is being put on hold for the time being as Marvel and Disney regroup on the project, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

Sources say that crewmembers, which is, at this stage, a small group that was prepping for preproduction, are being dismissed and are free to look for new work.

The Marvel project was originally to have been directed by James Gunn and was to have begun principal photography in the winter, either in January or February. The project was crewing up and was to have gone into full preproduction mode in the fall.

But Gunn was let go as the director in July when old tweets were resurfaced in response to his vocal political posts. While some held out hope that the director would be given a reprieve by Disney, a mid-August meeting with Disney chairman Alan Horn closed the door on that.

One person characterized the production hold as temporary and more of a "regrouping" as Marvel and Disney look for a filmmaker to take on the third installment of a franchise that has grossed over $1.6 billion and made stars out of Chris Pratt, Dave Bautista and Zoe Saldana.

"The timeline has been pushed out," says a source. Disney never set a release date for Guardians 3.

Marvel and Disney are taking a measured approach in their search for a filmmaker — one source says that Thor: Ragnarok director Taika Waititi recently had a meeting with Marvel, but it is unclear what project was discussed — and with good reason.

The controversial firing has rankled the cast, which, in an open letter, asked the studio to reinstate Gunn. Bautista, who plays the alien warrior Drax, continued to show his disappointment on social media on Thursday when he tagged Disney in a tweet featuring disturbing clips of Mike Cernovich, one of the conservative figures who led a campaign to get Gunn fired.

Disney had no comment.

I finally talked about the James Gunn situation with Chris. Most here already know my thoughts, but here we go...

This is the last time I'm posting about it. Oh, also... the video above has some bad swear words, so A) Be warned, and B) Guess I'm never working for Disney.

• Haha
Reactions: Drum18
I finally talked about the James Gunn situation with Chris. Most here already know my thoughts, but here we go...

This is the last time I'm posting about it. Oh, also... the video above has some bad swear words, so A) Be warned, and B) Guess I'm never working for Disney.

There's also an audio-only version:

Dave Bautista says he might not return for Guardians 3, which is 'on hold indefinitely'

via EW

Even if Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3 moves forward, Dave Bautista isn’t sure he’ll return to the franchise.

The actor, who plays Drax the Destroyer in the films, continued to speak out against Disney in the wake of James Gunn’s firing during an interview on The Jonathan Ross Show.

Asked about the franchise’s futures, he said, “It’s a bitter-sweet conversation — um, no it’s a bitter-bitter conversation because I’m not really happy with what they’ve done with James Gunn.”

He added, “They’re putting the movie off. It’s on hold indefinitely. To be honest with you I don’t know if I want to work for Disney.”

Since Disney fired Gunn from his post at Marvel, thereby dropping him as director of the third installment in a planned trilogy, production on the film has been put on hold, EW learned.

Gunn already wrote a draft of the script for Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3 when Disney announced the company “severed our business relationship” over decade-old tweets from Gunn joking about ****, pedophilia, and other inappropriate material. These “totally failed and unfortunate efforts to be provocative,” as Gunn called them, were unearthed by alt-right conservatives in response to the filmmaker’s outspoken political beliefs online.

Gunn said, in part, through an apology, “I have regretted them for many years since — not just because they were stupid, not at all funny, wildly insensitive, and certainly not provocative like I had hoped, but also because they don’t reflect the person I am today or have been for some time.”

Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Bradley Cooper, Vin Diesel, Karen Gillan, Michael Rooker, Bautista, and Sean Gunn all signed an open letter on the matter in support of Gunn’s reinstatement. However, reports surfaced that Disney would not reconsider its decision and would instead look to hire another director to take over.

Bautista, who’s been more verbal on the matter than some of his other costars, previously said he’d do what he’s “legally obligated to do” in terms of returning to the franchise, but called it “pretty nauseating to work for someone who’d empower a smear campaign by fascists.”

• Thanks
Dave Bautista says he might not return for Guardians 3, which is 'on hold indefinitely'

via EW

Even if Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3 moves forward, Dave Bautista isn’t sure he’ll return to the franchise.

The actor, who plays Drax the Destroyer in the films, continued to speak out against Disney in the wake of James Gunn’s firing during an interview on The Jonathan Ross Show.

Asked about the franchise’s futures, he said, “It’s a bitter-sweet conversation — um, no it’s a bitter-bitter conversation because I’m not really happy with what they’ve done with James Gunn.”

He added, “They’re putting the movie off. It’s on hold indefinitely. To be honest with you I don’t know if I want to work for Disney.”

Since Disney fired Gunn from his post at Marvel, thereby dropping him as director of the third installment in a planned trilogy, production on the film has been put on hold, EW learned.

Gunn already wrote a draft of the script for Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 3 when Disney announced the company “severed our business relationship” over decade-old tweets from Gunn joking about ****, pedophilia, and other inappropriate material. These “totally failed and unfortunate efforts to be provocative,” as Gunn called them, were unearthed by alt-right conservatives in response to the filmmaker’s outspoken political beliefs online.

Gunn said, in part, through an apology, “I have regretted them for many years since — not just because they were stupid, not at all funny, wildly insensitive, and certainly not provocative like I had hoped, but also because they don’t reflect the person I am today or have been for some time.”

Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Bradley Cooper, Vin Diesel, Karen Gillan, Michael Rooker, Bautista, and Sean Gunn all signed an open letter on the matter in support of Gunn’s reinstatement. However, reports surfaced that Disney would not reconsider its decision and would instead look to hire another director to take over.

Bautista, who’s been more verbal on the matter than some of his other costars, previously said he’d do what he’s “legally obligated to do” in terms of returning to the franchise, but called it “pretty nauseating to work for someone who’d empower a smear campaign by fascists.”

This interview with him is really great:

I love how he basically says that it comes down to morals and that this is against what he believes in.

Reactions: IRON MAN
Glenn Close says it's 'hard' to think of franchise without James Gunn

via EW

Guardians of the Galaxy actress Glenn Close has addressed the subject of James Gunn and his removal by Disney from the third entry in the hugely successful Marvel franchise. Interviewed in the upcoming issue of the U.K. film magazine Empire, Close explained that she found it difficult to imagine the series without the filmmaker.

“It’s hard to think of it without him,” says Close, who played the character of Nova Prime in 2014’s original Guardians of the Galaxy. “It’s sad. And it brings up, I think, some very tricky issues around this movement. I bring it up with every woman I talk to because I want to know what people feel, you know? Is that truly what we should be doing? Especially in this case, somebody who’s known to ruin people for something that they wrote in a totally different context, what, ten, 12 years ago? What are we going to do, go back to our pasts and make sure that everything we said was politically correct? Who can live like that? I just feel that there’s something wrong about that.”

Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Bradley Cooper, Vin Diesel, Karen Gillan, Michael Rooker, Dave Bautista, and Sean Gunn all signed an open letter on the matter in support of Gunn’s reinstatement. However, reports surfaced that Disney would not reconsider its decision and would instead look to hire another director to take over.

In a British TV interview broadcast last weekend, Bautista said he was unsure if he would appear in the third Guardians film.

“It’s a bitter-sweet conversation — um, no it’s a bitter-bitter conversation because I’m not really happy with what they’ve done with James Gunn.”

Taika Waititi Confirms He Won’t Direct ‘Guardians of the Galaxy 3': ‘That’s James’ Film’

“It would feel like going into someone’s house and saying, ‘Hey, I’m your new dad,” “Thor: Ragnarok” director says.

taika-waititi-jojo-rabbit-adolf-hitler.jpg

Taika Waititi will not step into James Gunn’s shoes for “Guardians of the Galaxy 3.”

“Nope. Not doing that movie,” the “Thor: Ragnarok” director told reporters Monday during the Television Critics Association press tour. “I’m hanging out with [Marvel] still. Talking about new stuff, but I don’t know what that might be yet. I want to do another movie.”

Waititi’s name had been mentioned as a possible successor to Gunn, who helmed the first two films but was fired last year by Disney, but Waititi said he “didn’t really” have a conversation with Marvel about it. “For me, that’s James’ film,” he continued. “Going into something like that, which has got his stamp all over it, it would feel like going into someone’s house and saying ‘Hey, I’m your new dad.”

via The Wrap

Read this the other week. Shame, he’s the only one who could mirror that look and feel imo.
Well there could be more but I can’t think of anyone atm

WOAH!!!!
https://deadline.com/2019/03/james-...ndefensible-social-media-messages-1202576444/

Disney Reinstates Director James Gunn For ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy 3’

Deadline has confirmed that the filmmaker has been rehired by Disney and despite the fact he's still working on The Suicide Squad for Warner Bros., production will begin on the next Guardians movie as soon as work on that concludes. Walt Disney Studios President Alan Horn met Gunn a number of times after his dismissal and after accepting his apology and repeating how Gunn has handled the decision, he chose to ask him back

@kaw @bloodsnake007 @tridon @Apollon @Noodles

I've been doing happy dances all over social media for the past hour. This is the best news of the year so far! What a waste of time, though. GotG3 could've been released next year, but now we won't see it for at least 4-5 years because he has to finish The Suicide Squad first.

Nevertheless, Gunn is back home in the MCU and I couldn't be happier! :D

Fantastic news! Obviously he should never have been fired in the first place though, so I still stand by my opinion that Disney are f****** idiots. And to be honest, I'm surprised Gunn even agreed to go back after they made the snap decision to sling him out... although I suppose for him it's more about his love for GOTG (and finishing HIS trilogy) than it is doing Disney/Marvel a favour. All that being said, it turned out for the best in the end, since he'll now also be directing a DC film as well as GOTG3! :D

• Thanks
I'm happy for Gunn that he gets to complete a project he's invested a lot of time and love into. I just hope he doesn't do a half arsed job of Suicide Squad and rush it so he can get back to Guardians.

giphy.gif

YES!!!!!!
This is THE BEST NEWS!!!

Its crazy that James is now going to be doing films for both Marvel and DC. I wonder if this could help solve the toxic fandom of people fighting between the two brands. Probably wont. But it will help. haha

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon and Drum18