Halo 3 ODST not working on some Xbox 360s

Jan 29, 2009
Quite a number of Halo ODST purchases are having problems with their discs.

Bungie's latest game, Halo 3: ODST, is causing problems with Xbox 360 gamers.

The disc is unreadable on a whole host of consoles, either skipping or presenting "the disc is unreadable" on-screen. This is despite the disc being completely new and pristine on closer inspection.

Some users are finding solace in the ability to download the game to their hard drive, but this is not a universal solution.

Posters on the Bungie forums claim that the problem does not happen with other games, or at least the majority of games. It originally looked like only early Xbox 360's suffered from the problem, but later consoles from 2008 and 2009 have also been added into the mix.

Players with this problem are asked to send details about their personal experience to Test Ninja Alpha on the Bungie forums, where they'll be tasked with a few tests to check whether the problem is due to the Halo 3: ODST disc or the console itself.

The plot thickens when the the disc may work on your friend's console, but not on yours. It's a lottery that must have a connection to the hardware, even though other games play perfectly well.

"Well I have tested my copy of ODST on my xbox ELITE that was made in 2008-03-28 and it gets the disk read error every time after the drop plus after the dutch mission. My wife said 'Hey try it on mine.' So I took my ODST copy and my 120GBHDD out and put it in her HALO3 Special Edition Xbox360. IT WORKS!!!" One user wrote.

Bungie is currently looking into the problem. As soon as we know more we'll let you know.

If you're having the same problem with Halo ODST, please let us know in the comments section.