United Kingdom
Release date:11th November 2013
Price: £165
Purchase link:
Amazon
Zavvi

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone has a spare one of these (preferably unopened, or at least in good condition) and is looking to sell it for a reasonable price I am very interested!

I've just watched an unboxing of the German Edition and whilst the letters are not translated into German, the 'Master of Suspense' booklet is in German, and so are the titles on the film reel tins, both on the top of them and round the side. This ruins it for me, I guess I'll have to wait for it to go down in price again in the UK... If it ever does!

Ahh doesn't work for me either, thanks for letting me know. It would be cool if they release a new collection with more restored movies, but I don't think anything would be as cool as the film reel case idea.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm curious to know if anyone else has experienced this -- some time ago I noticed small cracks appearing along the top of acrylic casing for this set, and over time the cracks have grown and spread to other areas. I keep it up on top of my bookshelf (today is the first time I've taken it down in years), so there's no way for anything to have hit/landed on it and caused any damage, which leaves me baffled as to WTH has happened!? Not only that, but the acrylic base for my Man of Steel tin also seems to have the exact same problem, and that's displayed a few shelves down, so it's not like both editions are even close to one another, which makes me think it might be an issue with the plastic itself. Anybody have any ideas on the cause and how I could maybe fix it?

Here are some photos I took of my Hitchcock set...

IMG_4812.JPG IMG_4813.JPG

:ugh:

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Snollygoster
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm curious to know if anyone else has experienced this -- some time ago I noticed small cracks appearing along the top of acrylic casing for this set, and over time the cracks have grown and spread to other areas. I keep it up on top of my bookshelf (today is the first time I've taken it down in years), so there's no way for anything to have hit/landed on it and caused any damage, which leaves me baffled as to WTH has happened!? Not only that, but the acrylic base for my Man of Steel tin also seems to have the exact same problem, and that's displayed a few shelves down, so it's not like both editions are even close to one another, which makes me think it might be an issue with the plastic itself. Anybody have any ideas on the cause and how I could maybe fix it?

Here are some photos I took of my Hitchcock set...

View attachment 415465View attachment 415466

:ugh:
Damn sorry to see that Nick. I haven’t heard of this happening before but I don’t own the set myself. Maybe someone who has it knows more about it.:(

Reactions: Noodles
I would presume it spidered, like glass. Tho unlike glass I doubt there is a way to fix it. If its on the back of the casing, you could try to get clever and just add like a film to it. pick a color, but point being the crack would be less visible with a colored background. Could likely just test out with colored paper to see what it may look like if you do a film job to it. I would presume a film wrap would be rather easy to apply and someone like you probably handy enough to get good cuts around edges so its flush when done.

Kinda crazy the MOS has one too, not like you are prone to earthquakes there. Never the less sounds like bad luck.

@Noodles

• Helpful Post
I just ordered yesterday from Amazon.jp. l ordered the DVD version(hoping that it's the same as the bluray, because i saw set's listed on ebay as the DVD set, but were bluray disc). So, any one else order this as DVD version, but had blurays? i'm hoping my hunch led me right. Amazon.jp list a bluray version as well, but the photos on the site are the same as the DVD version, thus the order (and the DVD version listed was cheaper and had new stock).

Damn sorry to see that Nick. I haven’t heard of this happening before but I don’t own the set myself. Maybe someone who has it knows more about it.:(
I would presume it spidered, like glass. Tho unlike glass I doubt there is a way to fix it. If its on the back of the casing, you could try to get clever and just add like a film to it. pick a color, but point being the crack would be less visible with a colored background. Could likely just test out with colored paper to see what it may look like if you do a film job to it. I would presume a film wrap would be rather easy to apply and someone like you probably handy enough to get good cuts around edges so its flush when done.

Kinda crazy the MOS has one too, not like you are prone to earthquakes there. Never the less sounds like bad luck.

@Noodles
Thanks for the replies guys. :)

I've not heard of this happening with anyone else either, and I searched Google high and low... the main thing that kept popping up were cracks in acrylic fish tanks lol. After giving it some thought, I'm now wondering if it's down to the constant change in temperature in my room... the radiator is directly behind my bookshelf, and whilst it never gets really hot, I can feel that the back of the shelving unit is somewhat warm to the touch. Then once the heating gets turned off at night, the temperature obviously drops (considerably during winter). So I can only assume that the acrylic is gradually heated during the day, then cooled at night, causing it to crack. I have a bookshelf on the opposite side of my room away from the radiator, but there's nothing acrylic on that side, so I can't confirm if that's definitely what's caused it. Might be worth me moving those specific sets over to that side from now on though, just to be safe!

Like you said John... unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any permanent fixes. Your suggestion could work though and hopefully make the cracks less noticeable - I display it right on top of the unit, so it's not like I'm looking down on it, meaning I could easily cover up the top of the set without it affecting any visibility inside. I'm not so worried about the MoS one though, as I could maybe just get that remade, since there's no artwork/printing of any kind on it (unlike the Hitchcock set). Thanks for the tip man! :thumbs:

Reactions: Sigill
Looks to me the cracked part is on the the part with no printing on it? In the USA you can go to home depot or lowes and their is an aisle where they will custom cut glass and acrylic for you. as they sell certain sizes. nothing fancy but seeing as how you would need only a certain flat dimension if you were really feeling froggy ... you could get a piece custom cut to your size at a hardware store or equivalent and then somehow take that piece off (exacto knife , and heat? for the glue) and then put the new piece in.

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles and Sigill
Thanks for the replies guys. :)

I've not heard of this happening with anyone else either, and I searched Google high and low... the main thing that kept popping up were cracks in acrylic fish tanks lol. After giving it some thought, I'm now wondering if it's down to the constant change in temperature in my room... the radiator is directly behind my bookshelf, and whilst it never gets really hot, I can feel that the back of the shelving unit is somewhat warm to the touch. Then once the heating gets turned off at night, the temperature obviously drops (considerably during winter). So I can only assume that the acrylic is gradually heated during the day, then cooled at night, causing it to crack. I have a bookshelf on the opposite side of my room away from the radiator, but there's nothing acrylic on that side, so I can't confirm if that's definitely what's caused it. Might be worth me moving those specific sets over to that side from now on though, just to be safe!

Like you said John... unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any permanent fixes. Your suggestion could work though and hopefully make the cracks less noticeable - I display it right on top of the unit, so it's not like I'm looking down on it, meaning I could easily cover up the top of the set without it affecting any visibility inside. I'm not so worried about the MoS one though, as I could maybe just get that remade, since there's no artwork/printing of any kind on it (unlike the Hitchcock set). Thanks for the tip man! :thumbs:
That may be it mate, I’m guessing acrylic can be pretty sensitive to heat. You still wouldn’t imagine it could do that though, I would definatly move it over to the other side though if you can just to be safe!:)

• Thanks
Looks to me the cracked part is on the the part with no printing on it? In the USA you can go to home depot or lowes and their is an aisle where they will custom cut glass and acrylic for you. as they sell certain sizes. nothing fancy but seeing as how you would need only a certain flat dimension if you were really feeling froggy ... you could get a piece custom cut to your size at a hardware store or equivalent and then somehow take that piece off (exacto knife , and heat? for the glue) and then put the new piece in.
Yep, printing is on the back. Only problem with that idea is that all three sides (front, top and back) is one single piece that curves around, so I'd have to chop it up just to replace the top... might be something I'll consider looking in to at some point though, since having cut and glued edges is much better than dozens of cracks!

That may be it mate, I’m guessing acrylic can be pretty sensitive to heat. You still wouldn’t imagine it could do that though, I would definatly move it over to the other side though if you can just to be safe!:)
It's the only thing I can think of mate... the cracks have grown bigger and bigger over the space of a few years, so I imagine the dramatic change in temperature (warm during the day then practically freezing at night lol) is the only thing that would gradually effect it over that amount of time.

Reactions: Sigill
I’ve had it since 2013 or 14, and no cracks in mine. Almost certain that cracks like that must be from the changes in temperature you describe @Noodles. Sucks though, hopefully you’ll be able to figure out some satisfying solution at one point.

I just ordered yesterday from Amazon.jp. l ordered the DVD version(hoping that it's the same as the bluray, because i saw set's listed on ebay as the DVD set, but were bluray disc). So, any one else order this as DVD version, but had blurays? i'm hoping my hunch led me right. Amazon.jp list a bluray version as well, but the photos on the site are the same as the DVD version, thus the order (and the DVD version listed was cheaper and had new stock).

just received shipment, and it is DVD only. so if anyone else should visit amazon.jp, the Bluray and DVD version are distinct, despite the pictures for both being the same.

I’ve had it since 2013 or 14, and no cracks in mine. Almost certain that cracks like that must be from the changes in temperature you describe @Noodles. Sucks though, hopefully you’ll be able to figure out some satisfying solution at one point.
Hmm I thought as much, since I come across photos of other people's editions which seemed fine. It's such a nice looking set (and not to mention expensive), so I definitely hope to find a solution at some point. Thanks for confirming anyway mate!

@Noodles just had a look at mine, no cracks, but I think one of the edges is coming away slightly.
Thanks for checking mate. The sides on mine feel secure, which is surprising considering that's where all the cracks stem from. Oh well, hopefully you're able to fix yours before it becomes too serious!