HMV Vinyl Week 2020 [UK]

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
VINYL WEEK IS BACK and coming in hot!

Not long to go now and today we have our FIRST reveal of some of the exclusive titles which will be available in-store on Saturday 15th August!

As ever, the exclusive titles will be available in hmv stores and are available on a first come, first served basis, so make sure you get down to your local hmv store nice and early!

We'll be revealing more exclusives over the next week so stay tuned but for now, find out more about the first exclusive titles coming to hmv Vinyl Week here.

This year we're also going to have a very very limited number of selected exclusives available online from 6pm on Saturday 15th August.
Where can I buy the exclusives?

Titles will be available in-store from Saturday 15th August from opening. All stores will have a limited quantity of all the exclusives which will be sold on a first-come first-served basis. Strictly no reservations. Please arrive in store early on Saturday 15th August to avoid disappointment. A very limited number of selected exclusives will also be available online from 6pm on Saturday 15th August.

How many can I buy?

A maximum of 1 unit per title per customer can be purchased. As an example, customers are able to buy one copy of each of the exclusive albums, but wouldn't be able to buy multiple copies of the same exclusive.

What happens if I miss out on the day?

The titles are very limited and will be sold on a first come first served basis. As well as the exclusives we will also have savings on selected titles.
md_2577744.jpg

Last edited:
A very limited number of selected exclusives will also be available online from 6pm on Saturday 15th August.

thats what I wanted to hear!!
Umbrella academy, Mazzy Star and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 will be mine!
thank you for posting!

Last edited:
Reactions: Noodles
Kings of Leon – Day Old Belgian Blues

QzUq0Af.jpg

First released as a limited edition live EP in 2006, Day Old Belgian Blues was originally recorded two years earlier at AB Box in Brussels, Belgium, just before the release their sophomore album Aha Shake Heartbreak and features early live renditions of three of the album's tracks, as well as a rip-roaring live version of 'Molly's Chambers' from their debut LP.

Originally released just on CD, Day Old Belgian Blues has been made available on vinyl only once before as part of RSD's Black Friday event in 2019, but the EP joins our Vinyl Week line-up for this year with an exclusive repress on black vinyl, available in a limited run of 1000 copies.

The Kinks – Kinks

QzUq0Af.jpg

“It wasn't called 'heavy metal' when I invented it”, Kinks guitarist Dave Davies once said of his band's contribution to a genre whose creation is most often credited to the likes of Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin. But Davies had a point; the loud, distorted guitar sound which became a key feature of the genre could first be heard years earlier on The Kinks breakthrough single 'You Really Got Me', the infamous result of Davies frustratedly slashing the speaker cone in his amplifier with a razor blade.

The single also proved to be a showcase for the songwriting talents of his brother Ray Davies, and was subsequently included on the band's eponymous debut album Kinks, first released in 1964. Their debut joins our Vinyl Week line-up this year in the form of a new and exclusive reissue pressed onto red vinyl and limited to just 500 copies.

OMD – Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark

QzUq0Af.jpg

Emerging alongside a wave of synth-powered bands that rose to prominence in the early 1980s, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark had more in common with the bands emerging from Sheffield's burgeoning electronic music scene than anything you'd normally associate with their Merseyside origins, but along with the likes of Human League and Gary Numan, OMD helped define the sound of a decade with hits such as 'Enola Gay' and 'Electricity'.

The latter was one of the standout moments of their self-titled 1980 debut album, which not only joins our Vinyl Week line-up for 2020 in the form of of an exclusive new version pressed onto orange vinyl, it also becomes another new addition to hmv's exclusive 1921 Series, with just 1000 copies up for grabs.

Madness – One Step Beyond

QzUq0Af.jpg

The ska revivalist scene of the late 1970s and early 80s may have been centred in the Midlands, near the home of Jerry Dammers' Two-Tone Records imprint, but London had its fair share of the action too and Madness were undoubtedly the most successful ska band to emerge from the capital. Their debut album was originally unleashed in 1979 and holds the distinction of of being the first to be produced by Clive Langer and Alan Winstanley, whose list of credits would subsequently grow to include the likes of Elvis Costello, David Bowie and Dexys Midnight Runners.

Named after its a title track – an adapted cover of a tune by Jamaican ska legend Prince Buster – the album joins our list of Vinyl Week exclusives this year in the form of a limited edition reissue pressed onto 'two-tone' black & white vinyl and limited to only 100 copies

Uriah Heep – Demons & Wizards

QzUq0Af.jpg

Uriah Heep's gothic brand of proto-Metal was by no means an instant hit with critics – their debut LP was given an infamous panning by Rolling Stone – but by the time of of their fourth album Demons & Wizards even they had changed their tune on the band's output, describing the album as one of the best of the year on its release in 1972.

Featuring a couple of the band's biggest hits in 'The Wizard' and 'Easy Livin'', Demons & Wizards is one of the band's finest albums and joins our list of Vinyl Week exclusives for 2020 with a new version pressed onto white vinyl and limited to just 400 copies.

Morrissey – Vauxhall and I

QzUq0Af.jpg

Whatever you might make of his politics or his increasingly grumpy interventions into public life, there's no denying that during his time as frontman of The Smiths Morrissey was considered – quite rightly – to be one of the greatest lyricists of his generation. His post-Smiths work has been something of a mixed bag, but in a solo career that has so far produced 13 studio albums he has, every once in a while, turned in an album that reminds his fans why they keep the faith.

Of his first four solo albums, Vauxhall and I is one of his very best and includes one of his finest solo tracks in 'The More You Ignore Me, the Closer I Get'. The album joins our list of Vinyl Week exclusives this year with a new reissue pressed onto blue vinyl and limited to 1000 copies.

The Velvet Underground – The Velvet Underground & Nico

unMYvOZ.jpg

There's a well-worn quote usually attributed to Brian Eno which runs something like this: “The Velvet Underground only sold 30,000 copies of their first record, but every kid who bought one went out and started a band.” Apocryphal or not, it does at least neatly illustrate the outsized influence of The Velvet Underground's storied debut. Pre-empting both Punk and New Wave, but becoming a huge inspiration for both, The Velvet Underground's unique aesthetic was born out of a combination of John Cale's experimental work with pioneers of the Fluxus movement such as La Monte Young and John Cage, Lou Reed's dark, poetic observations of modern life, and the singular artistic vision of Andy Warhol.

Although the album is rightly a common fixture of many record collections these days, hmv Vinyl Week offers a chance to get your hands on an exclusive limited edition – complete with its iconic 'banana skin' cover – pressed onto matching translucent yellow vinyl and limited to just xxx copies.

• Friendly
Reactions: Grendel
Creedence Clearwater Revival – Chronicle Vol.1

QzUq0Af.jpg

First released in 1976 after almost a decade of extraordinary success which saw Creedence Clearwater Revival become one of America's biggest-selling rock bands, Chronicle Vol. 1 charts the band's greatest hits over that time and includes most of their very best songs, with 20 tracks featured from 'Bad Moon Rising' to the excellent 'Fortunate Son' and many more besides.

Chronicle Vol. 1 joins our Vinyl Week 2020 line-up in the form of an exclusive new reissue pressed onto stunning transparent blue vinyl and available in an extremely limited run of just 375 copies.

The Who – Who's Greatest Hits

QzUq0Af.jpg

As one of the biggest bands to emerge from British shores throughout the 1960s, The Who need no introduction from us and with such a huge back catalogue of hits there have been several Greatest Hits collections down the years, but this compilation first released in 1983 was the first to include the full-length version of 'Relay', a non-album single first written for Pete Townshend's ambitious Lifehouse project.

Who's Greatest Hits is one of our limited editions for Vinyl Week this year, with a very limited 300 copies pressed onto red vinyl that you won't find elsewhere on the high street.

I got the emails but completely forgot about checking here

@Noodles
Are you getting any of these mate? I see that they go onsale from 6pm on the Saturday

If I could afford it I’d go for
The faces
Guardians Of the galaxy vol 2
bowie
Cypress hill
The kinks
and the velvet underground

I might go for the guardians 2 to go with the coloured vinyl I’ve got for vol 1 and then just sell my normal version. And possibly Bowie because it’s the only vinyl of his I don’t have (from when my dad gave me his first 15 albums on vinyl)

If the kings of Leon vinyl was coloured I’d also be interested in that but it’s a pass (interested to see the price tho as it’s only 6 songs)

And if cypress hill is available the month after I might try and get it

Reactions: Grendel
I got the emails but completely forgot about checking here

@Noodles
Are you getting any of these mate? I see that they go onsale from 6pm on the Saturday

If I could afford it I’d go for
The faces
Guardians Of the galaxy vol 2
bowie
Cypress hill
The kinks
and the velvet underground

I might go for the guardians 2 to go with the coloured vinyl I’ve got for vol 1 and then just sell my normal version. And possibly Bowie because it’s the only vinyl of his I don’t have (from when my dad gave me his first 15 albums on vinyl)

If the kings of Leon vinyl was coloured I’d also be interested in that but it’s a pass (interested to see the price tho as it’s only 6 songs)

And if cypress hill is available the month after I might try and get it
Nah, none for me... not because there's none I'm interested in, but because I've cut down on buying vinyl. Some great choices in there though and it's good to see vinyl is still going strong!

Reactions: Flloydo
Black Sabbath – Black Sabbath

I2pDZNk.jpg

If it were possible to give an actual date of birth for heavy metal it would probably be February 13th 1970, the day Black Sabbath unleashed their self-titled debut album and took hard rock somewhere much, much darker. Tony Iommi's doom-laden guitar riffs and Ozzy Osbourne's lyrical preoccupations with wizards and the devil laid the foundations for an entire genre, and with so many bands tracing their sound back Black Sabbath's early records their debut must rank as one of the most influential records of the decade.

Black Sabbath joins our list of Vinyl Week exclusives this year with a new repressing on yellow vinyl and limited to 1000 copies.

Moby – Play

I2pDZNk.jpg

Moby had already enjoyed some early success with huge club hits like 'Go', but his first four albums were a little hit-and-miss in terms of commercial success and his fifth full-length offering Play was something of a stylistic departure form his early techno-infused stylings. The idea of blending hip-hop and dance beats with dusty old samples lifted from blues, gospel and barbershop quartet recordings from the 1930s and 40s might have sounded slightly mad on paper, but it proved to be a winning formula that saw his fifth album become an inescapable presence on radio, in television ads, films and just about anywhere else you could think of.

Play joins our list of exclusives for this year's Vinyl Week with a new reissue pressed onto red vinyl and limited to just 1000 copies.

Bruce Dickinson – Chemical Wedding

I2pDZNk.jpg

Best-known, of course, as the lead vocalist of metal veterans Iron Maiden, Bruce Dickinson has enjoyed his fair share of solo success too, releasing no fewer than six albums under his own name since his solo debut Tattooed Millionaire arrived in 1990.

It's the fifth of these, his 1998 album The Chemical Wedding, that rounds out our list of vinyl week exclusives this year in the form of a new 2LP reissue pressed onto purple and brown vinyl, with a very limited run of just 500 copies available.

Marvin Gaye – What's Going On

I2pDZNk.jpg

With an album often hailed as one of the greatest of the 20th century, you might be surprised to learn that the title track to Marvin Gaye's seminal 1971 was anything but an instant hit with Motown Records boss Berry Gordy, who reportedly disliked the song so much he refused to release it. Fortunately, one of the other execs at Motown went rogue and released the single without his knowledge, and Gordy soon changed his mind when he saw the song become a huge hit.

The album it came from is one of our Vinyl Week limited editions this year and comes in the form of a new reissue pressed onto yellow vinyl, with an extremely limited 200 copies up for grabs.

Cream – Disraeli Gears

nb4GO6q.jpg

Along with others such as Fleetwood Mac, Cream were one of several bands to merge in the late 1960s who owe their existence, at least in part, to their time in John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, with both Eric Clapton and Jack Bruce having cut their teeth in Mayall's band, but adding drummer Ginger Baker into the mix created one of rock's first 'supergroups' and their 1967 album Disraeli Gears is arguably their finest moment.

Featuring hits such as 'Sunshine of Your Love' and 'Strange Brew', the album joins our list of Vinyl Week limited editions for 2020 with a new repress on transparent green vinyl, limited to just 250 copies.

Bon Jovi – Cross Road

I2pDZNk.jpg

Bon Jovi already had one Greatest Hits compilation under their belt by the time Cross Road was released in 1994, but that had arrived even before Keep the Faith has yielded several more of the band's biggest hits and you might describe this as being the first to cover their most successful period in its entirety.

Featuring all of Bon Jovi's best moments, Cross Road joins our line-up of limited editions this year with a new repress on transparent red vinyl and limited to only 350 copies.