HMV / Xtra-Vision - SteelBook Retailer Thread [UK/Ireland]

This is a general thread to discuss your experiences with this retailer in regards to ordering and receiving Steelbooks. As of 8/29/2013, the site says they are working on improved website.

images

Important:

This store ships UK/IRELAND ONLY.

HMV UK : http://www.xtra-vision.co.uk/Search/Results?term=steelbook
HMV IRE: http://www.xtra-vision.ie/Search/Results?term=steelbook OR http://www.hmv.ie/Search/Results?term=steelbook

Typical example of packaging:
63qlg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it would be great if HMV UK improved there packaging practises for steelbooks. A little bubble wrap goes a long way. Shipping times are also erratic from them. Sometimes really fast and sometimes it takes week. But I suppose that is out of there control as they do ship right away.

I think I might cancel some steelbook's from hmv if they are still using jiffy bags when hunger games and other titles are getting released and just pick it up from the store only thing is I'm getting them online cheaper using the 20% deal, oh wot to do LOL

Good idea. Will need help from you guys ;)

Would it also be possible to include other information in the OP? I'm thinking of information such as average dispatch time for pre-orders (e.g. Play.com usually dispatch Tuesday before release whereas Amazon is on release date), when the retailer takes payment (e.g. on dispatch or at time of order) and also contact addresses, email addresses, phone numbers etc. Basically anything you might need if you were to order from that retailer.

Reactions: cyberef
Snoo-we'll monitor this section to see how popular it becomes. Any contact info can be found on the retailer's site (unless some 'private' address), but we can certain add 'FAQ' type stuff to OP, as people ask and answer questions inside the retailer-specific threads.

Reactions: snooloui
I know that HMV have been getting a lot of stick lately about their packaging but I've yet to receive a damaged steelboook from them in the 3 - 4 years that I've been ordering from them, even when they've been using those 'jiffy' bags.

The thick carboard packaging they usually use does a good job but I do think they could improve things by adding some bubble wrap as due to the larger size of the box the steelbook (& regular size Blu Ray's) just rattle around inside which doesn't seem right to me.

Received 5 blu-ray's from HMV today and they all arrived in the old box packaging. Glad to see they finally got rid of those useless bags!

I know that HMV have been getting a lot of stick lately about their packaging but I've yet to receive a damaged steelboook from them in the 3 - 4 years that I've been ordering from them, even when they've been using those 'jiffy' bags.

The thick carboard packaging they usually use does a good job but I do think they could improve things by adding some bubble wrap as due to the larger size of the box the steelbook (& regular size Blu Ray's) just rattle around inside which doesn't seem right to me.

I tend to agree. I have only had one "proper" Steelbook damaged in the cardboard box (the other was HP 7.1 which was never sealed and so scratched inside the box). Will be interesting to see if they've taken on comments following bad press here and I'm sure elsewhere.

Would it also be possible to include other information in the OP? I'm thinking of information such as average dispatch time for pre-orders (e.g. Play.com usually dispatch Tuesday before release whereas Amazon is on release date), when the retailer takes payment (e.g. on dispatch or at time of order) and also contact addresses, email addresses, phone numbers etc. Basically anything you might need if you were to order from that retailer.

I think that is a great idea, would probably save these threads from repeat questions.

Took 5 weeks for my Batman jumbo to arrive from Birmingham.. to Birmingham! Was posted in a jiffy bag and surprise surprise has a dent in it. This was with TNT however.

I see HMV have bumped prices on some of their Steelbook pre-orders. What happened to pre-orders being reasonably priced? Cleopatra is £22, Das Testament Das Dr Mabuse is £22, Snow White is £21 etc. Absolutely ridiculous.

I see HMV have bumped prices on some of their Steelbook pre-orders. What happened to pre-orders being reasonably priced? Cleopatra is £22, Das Testament Das Dr Mabuse is £22, Snow White is £21 etc. Absolutely ridiculous.

I'm still surprised how hmv is around it amazes me:hilarious:

Not related to ordering online from HMV, but when buying in store, does anyone get annoyed by the little security tag stickers that they put on the back of items? Made a hell of a mess trying to get one off my copy of The Hunger Games and ended up having to take the seal off the steelbook.

Looks like I am done ordering from HMV. They now ship each steelbook in a tiny envelope. Two out of two dented badly. I have no hope for the others in the mail. Cancelling all my pre orders now. :angry:

Looks like I am done ordering from HMV. They now ship each steelbook in a tiny envelope. Two out of two dented badly. I have no hope for the others in the mail. Cancelling all my pre orders now. :angry:

That's not how mine arrived this week - mine was packaged exactly like the one in the OP. It was damaged, but not because of the packaging. The damage was a slashed spine thanks to a warehouse monkey not doing his job properly.

Exactly the same thing happen to me with The Hunger Games, I was very lucky and the steelbook was in perfect condition, but I will not order from them until they fix this!:angry: