HMV / Xtra-Vision - SteelBook Retailer Thread [UK/Ireland]

This is a general thread to discuss your experiences with this retailer in regards to ordering and receiving Steelbooks. As of 8/29/2013, the site says they are working on improved website.

images

Important:

This store ships UK/IRELAND ONLY.

HMV UK : http://www.xtra-vision.co.uk/Search/Results?term=steelbook
HMV IRE: http://www.xtra-vision.ie/Search/Results?term=steelbook OR http://www.hmv.ie/Search/Results?term=steelbook

Typical example of packaging:
63qlg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I get that physical media sales are dropping, but personally the studios aren't helping themselves.

Overpriced 4K, dropping of 3D (which you can't get as easily on download or streaming) are certainly reducing my spending.
THIS!!

Are the studios not helping themselves, or not helping the high street stores?!

It certainly looks like streaming sites are the way forward at this moment in time. Even Disney are getting ready to launch their exclusive site. Netflix made a fortune this year apparently. So it will probably only be a matter of time before the steelbook market bombs too.....

I also agree with you about the 3D. Not readily available to stream from any major site. It's like they want it to die out but don't!! If you know what I mean?

Why keep releasing titles in theatres in 3D if it's supposed to be coming obsolete? And then only release them in certain countries for home video format? Either support it or get rid of it entirely.

Its like they want to push 4K but are afraid to phase out 3D incase the 4K doesn't last........

Reactions: JayWhit
If you or someone else purchased gift vouchers with a credit card

If HMV administrators KPMG decide to not accept gift vouchers

You could try a chargeback with credit card provider if gift vouchers was purchased using a credit card

Hmv website very slow
Trying to access my orders and is website is stuck at loading

I would advise to cancel any outstanding orders as if payment is taken you might not get goods delivered

Very sad news, I thought they were doing ok but obviously all retailers are feeling it now with everyone streaming. It will be a shame if they do go.

It was coming and not unexpected especially going by Hilco track record with business they took over
I said back in 2016 don't be surprised if HMV UK end up following what happened with HMV in Ireland

The effect of video/music streaming services has had a huge impact on physical media sales and especially for high street music/video stores

Streaming is going to increase over the years

Collectors we have here at HDN and other web forums are in reality a tiny % of overall market share compared to streaming market share

It takes a creative business person to open a high street shop in today's market competing with on-line retailers

Just signed into HMV online.
The site loaded easily.
Checked my orders, all was good until I noticed my pre order for Venom steelbook isnt there.
So if you have any pre orders best check now, think they maybe gone off your account.
Sad to see another high street store go again.
Best wishes to all the staff, what a time of year to lose your job security.

The site loaded easily.
Checked my orders, all was good until I noticed my pre order for Venom steelbook isnt there.
So if you have any pre orders best check now, think they maybe gone off your account.

My pre orders are still listed in my account.
Although I dont have any exclusives on order.

I paid for my pre-orders by Paypal so they've already been paid for. Any idea if I am protected? Sent a message to Paypal but they sent some stupid reply about unauthorised payments which is not what I was querying. No option to cancel orders either through HMV orders page.

Too bad to hear about this. Will be a lot of uncertainty until the fate of the company is clear. We need different retailers to push each other so always sad to lose some. I hope they will at least continue online in the worst case, but as a former resident in the UK and now regular tourist, visiting HMV was always a highlight on my trips so it wil be very sad to lose more physical stores as well.

I have some titles ordered as well through a contact so I’m curious to see if those went through or if there’s any problems now. Also wonder what will happen with the Premium Collection if HMV shuts down, hopefully some other retailer will take over..

At the end of the day how can stores (any stores) compete against the internet when they have to pay the OTT rates that local councils ask for or the amount of tax they have to pay the inland revenue when companies like amazon, apple etc manage to avoid paying **** all. Also nowhere to be able to park for free doesn't help. Seriously uneven playing field which has never been addressed and I doubt ever will. What does it take. Every high street empty? Just full of restaurants and coffee shops?. Rant over!

I paid for my pre-orders by Paypal so they've already been paid for. Any idea if I am protected? Sent a message to Paypal but they sent some stupid reply about unauthorised payments which is not what I was querying. No option to cancel orders either through HMV orders page.
Your covered with PayPal you just have to wait until after release date to file a claim
You can't file a claim for something you know is not been released yet when you know the release date is not due yet.

You should be able to cancel a pre order on HMV website on-line
You order history should have cancel selection to click as long as you did not order something else that was in stock in same order and already received it

If you used a credit card with PayPal
You can try chargeback with your credit card provider but again you have to wait till after release date to do this.
If cost of individual item is less than £100 you not are guaranteed the credit card provider will do a chargeback but they likely will do but will take time to be done

Credit Cards
If cost of individual item is over £100 a credit card company is liable to cover you under section 75
Note multi items done in 1 order adding up to £100 don't count under section 75
It has to be each item cost £100 or more

Pre orders with HMV that they can't provide will be cancelled and possibly refunded

The site loaded easily.
If you pre ordered Venom it would be listed in your order history and still be listed even if you cancelled

All my pre orders are still there listed that I have kept including orders that I cancelled

You sure you did not pre order Zavvi steelbook instead and thought you done a Pre Order of the HMV steelbook

Note
All pre order items on HMV website is now listed as sold out

HMV not taking any pre orders at the moment

Only in stock items can be ordered on-line

I expect pre orders will not be fulfilled unless KPMG find a solution to save HMV from closing

Well who do you think will pick up all the ( HMV Exclusive 4K Steelbook ) in the UK now and sell them will it be Zavvi who pick them up and have them as pre-orders now as I have 6 or 7 on pre-order with HMV now.

Depends on the rights issues. Also you're assuming HMV will fold both digitally and physically. It might continue on as a digital store only online and forgo the high street.