HMV / Xtra-Vision - SteelBook Retailer Thread [UK/Ireland]

This is a general thread to discuss your experiences with this retailer in regards to ordering and receiving Steelbooks. As of 8/29/2013, the site says they are working on improved website.

images

Important:

This store ships UK/IRELAND ONLY.

HMV UK : http://www.xtra-vision.co.uk/Search/Results?term=steelbook
HMV IRE: http://www.xtra-vision.ie/Search/Results?term=steelbook OR http://www.hmv.ie/Search/Results?term=steelbook

Typical example of packaging:
63qlg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The last time I ordered from HMV they were using those tough boxes with no bubble wrap. They were only half-way decent then but now I've seen so many people post about the plain-Jane mailers they been shipping there steelbooks in. It's very disappointing to hear that and makes me very weary about ordering from there now. I have to bite the bullet though because of my pre-order with them for 'Cabin in the Woods'. I sure hope it turns up OK. :ohno:

Hopefully by having this sub-forum and thread will allow for HMV to see the error of there judgement and go back to using a shipping material that is a little more rugged. I know it's because there moving there shipping center and all but that just goes to show that they should have better planned for the move. Anyhow I hope that HMV will read this thread and take note. ;)

I stopped using HMV. Their crap packaging is totally a joke. Those brown cardboard things. My last order were two Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows steelbooks. Both came damaged and one was totally crushed. A lack of good packaging here. Steelbook sold out very quick and became OOP.

Good thing was, I got quickly my refund plus the shipping costs were all refunded as well.

They always promise to send our feedback to their packaging department but nothing has changed since now.

Also the fact they are bassed on the Channel Islands is a risk of Customs (yes even in Europe, just like Play.com)

Since now I stopped using HMV and will ask some good friends here over the forums to help me instead. :)

Unfortunately, I have also had negative experiences with HMV. The packaging is awful and I've waited for weeks and weeks from the UK.

Unfortunately, I have also had negative experiences with HMV. The packaging is awful and I've waited for weeks and weeks from the UK.

I have one steelbook on the way from HMV right now... Kind of worried now if it's going to arrive safe. I have never used them before.

i have had loads of issues with them, pre-orders arriving days to weeks after release. damaged goods, etc.

when you email them off about your problem all you get back is a

'Sorry for your inconvenience'

but like most i have orders with them for exclusives. all i say is as soon as it arrives if its damaged take it to a store and demand they change it

Hmv packing is an annoyance at times, I've had a few in the past come damaged due to it.

You've got a blu ray steelbook which when inside this cardboard mailer, gets rattled about all over the place because of space inside the box and not that great protection from top/bottom impacts...

63qlg.jpg

Please HMV if you are reading this, at least go for an intermediate solution - purchase vast quantities of bubble wrap 'envelope style' sheets that you can put the steelbook in and wrap it around like I show below and THEN put them in the box :)

EROJd.jpg

Trust me, it will reduce your returns, help protect the steel from lateral movement much more than your current method and provide at least a bit more top/bottom protection - and the extra cost isn't much, neither is the small additional time required to put the item in the bubble wrap ;) And you never know, additional customers might return if they see you being proactive and taking at least some action to improve the protection of your steels...

I guess I have been lucky with my few HMV orders, all of them have had no damages.

But I don't order from HVM if I don't have to, due to their packaging.

So... i got my steelbook today, they sent it in a bubble envelope not the cardboard thing. I opened it up and the top part of the steelbook was all bent. :angry:

Was my first time ordering with them and probably my last if they don't get better packaging.

So... i got my steelbook today, they sent it in a bubble envelope not the cardboard thing. I opened it up and the top part of the steelbook was all bent. :angry:

Was my first time ordering with them and probably my last if they don't get better packaging.

We should have a damage counter in the first post of this thread. I bet HMV will win :rolleyes:

Is it possible to add pictures of current packaging to the OP of each of the retailer threads? Would be helpful for new collectors and everyone else too. A lot of posts in the deals thread for example seem to be asking what the packaging is like for a particular retailer so this would be a useful addition I think.

Reactions: Wreck and Flip
hmv really should be doing everything they can to assure these steelbook's arrive in mint condition, by using the awful packaging its only costing them money and customers but still nothing seems to be getting done about it, I only use hmv if I really have to

I've been lucky with the little cardboard box for over fifty orders and never received a damaged one, until I got a recent one in the plastic bag with a dent on the front.

I won't buy anything from them again until they drastically improved their packaging.

I dont order from HMV, hate their packaging and return delay service ... if its something I have to get from them (exclusive) I use a trusted UK member to source. Id rather pay a bit more for shipping for peace of mind!

Reactions: Marina Blue
Whenever they've sent me something in their cardboard boxes, they have always turned up mint. But recently I received a Total Recall steelie in a plastic bag and that arrived damaged.

Credit to HMV though as I was given a replacement very quickly with my postage refunded