Home Brew Gear

Where did you get your keg from? I watched a youtube video of a guy that had three of them (hot liquor, lauter-tun, and boil pot). I want one now.

I was snooping around for one and then I went to a buddies house and he just had one sitting in the corner of his garage. His little brother had a party about 6 months prior and whoever brought that keg had left it and completely forgotten about it so he said it was all mine :D

When I was still looking before that though, there seemed to be a few on craigs list although the average price was a bit steeper than I wanted to pay. I think I remember it being about $40-$50 in most cases.

yeah, but you know that most of the people selling them on craigs list got them the same way I did so its still a tad high. But hey, its not bad when you look at a stainless pot. It was fun using an angle grinder to cut the top off too :D

yeah, but you know that most of the people selling them on craigs list got them the same way I did so its still a tad high. But hey, its not bad when you look at a stainless pot. It was fun using an angle grinder to cut the top off too :D

+1 Stainless pots of that size are $100+, and I might be able to get one froms someone here at work for free. :scat: I've got a RotoZip with a cutting wheel anxiously waiting to be used.

That sounds like the time I decided to replace some copper plumbing...while wearing sandals. I've still got a scar on my foot from that one.

Right now I'm planning on adding a ball valve with a steel screen on the inside to act as a filter, sight glass, and thermometer. I'm going to go pick it up tomorrow.

That sounds like the time I decided to replace some copper plumbing...while wearing sandals. I've still got a scar on my foot from that one.

Right now I'm planning on adding a ball valve with a steel screen on the inside to act as a filter, sight glass, and thermometer. I'm going to go pick it up tomorrow.

Do you need a ball valve? If so what size?

I wouldnt do an inline filter, if you ever do an IPA or even a slightly hoppy beer, that gunk will clog a filter the size of a ball valve in an instant. Unless you are using this as a mash tun?

Need one of these O_C ... I can ship to you on MOnday...

DSCF8460.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Off_contstantly
Important!

IMPORTANT!

On your keg, there is usually a small rim at the top and bottom that is basically a hollow tube all the way around. You will need to drill a few holes in it so that the gases or any moisture that has somehow worked its way in can expand when you are boiling a batch of beer. I saw a thread on a different site where some homebrew group was making several batches on a school basketball court. The lower rim on one of the kegs exploded with such force that it shot the keg and 10 gallons of wort about a foot off the propane burner and it spilled everywhere. After searching for a few mins, they found a peice of shrapnel that came off that lower rim that was about a 1/2 inch in diameter, luckily nobody was around when it exploded and spilled boiling wort everywhere....

I just used a small drill bit with a metal coating on it and put 3 or 4 holes in the bottom rim of my keg to avoid it, havent had any problems thus far!

I've seen that. When I got the keg, that was one of the first things I looked at, and there are about 8 good sized holes drilled in the bottom ring.

Wreck - thanks for the offer on the valve. I've got a nickel coated brass ball valve that I'm going to use.

Pics as promised. Now I just need to polish it.

Attachments

• IMAG0161.jpg
    IMAG0161.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 155
  • IMAG0162.jpg
    IMAG0162.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 161
  • IMAG0163.jpg
    IMAG0163.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 150
  • IMAG0168.jpg
    IMAG0168.jpg