Horror Chat Horror's little gems

bigrob

UK Reviewer /Contributor
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Jan 8, 2012
London UK
Whilst people enjoy the latest and greatest horror films featuring some of cinema's most famous horror icons, sometimes we forget about the smaller films that fall out of that radar.

so this thread is to share some of your favourite, smaller horror films that othe rmembers of the HDN community might not have heard of

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 111
Last edited by a moderator:
I'll kick things off

One of my favourite 'midnight movies' (a long list of films that i enjoy watching at night time) is a great, if slightly cheesy, 'Warning Sign' from 1985

In a nutshell, it's basically the first Resident Evil film but without the gung ho and weaponary with a dash of 28 Days Later thrown in. Stars Jeffery DeMunn (The Walking Dead) and G.W Baily (Captain Harris from Police Academy). It features a great synth-heavy score from Criag Safan

warning_sign.jpg

Reactions: PunkNinja
another one of my favourites (and one that was always watched whilst growing up) was The Gate

starring a very young Stephen Dorff in the lead role, this film use to terrify me beyond belief! still holds up today IMHO (and still not released on BD yet. It has been released on DVD in only a few countries)

gate.jpg

one more for today. Faust - Love of the Damned

This little slice of Superhero Horror ticks all the right boxes. Gore, sex, violence and from the creators of Re-Animator! This is an absolutley barmy film but totally fun

faust.jpg

another one of my favourites (and one that was always watched whilst growing up) was The Gate

starring a very young Stephen Dorff in the lead role, this film use to terrify me beyond belief! still holds up today IMHO (and still not released on BD yet. It has been released on DVD in only a few countries)

View attachment 187111

This is actually a fun horror movie to watch with the kids.

Those were the days Ann. @Scary Hair
Sitting in a boiling hot cinema watching the Exorcist. No wonder folks were fainting. I'm sure they whacked the heating up on purpose. :joy::joy:
I gave up on horror movies when all the "found footage" and jerky camera crap came in. :thumbs:

Reactions: Scary Hair
Here's another one (and it's available on Blu-ray in the US and Germany!)

Needs no explaination though. it's just F'ing awesome!

View attachment 187120
Thanks @Scary Hair for the tag! Cool thread!
And thank you @bigrob for referencing Night of The Creeps- because those in the know, know that James Gunn out and out STOLE the story of NOTC for SLITHER. (He says he never knew about NOTC. But we all know that is a big fat lie!- Just like Suzanne Collins never heard of Battle Royale....yeah, right.);)

LEGION or EXORCIST III
Underrated masterpiece, with terrific acting from Brad Dourif and George C. Scott. I truly believe it was a travesty that Brad Dourif was not nominated for an Oscar for this.
P2240968.jpg

JACK BE NIMBLE
An amazing little New Zealand shocker with (pre-trans) Alexis Arquette, Sarah Smuts-Kennedy and Bruno Lawrence. Has a really cool soundtrack too. Very unique. Almost a Suspiria vibe at times.
image.jpg

Jack Be Nimble is a New Zealand gothic horror movie directed by Garth Maxwell, who later described it as "a stylised supernatural tale". The film stars American Alexis Arquette and New Zealand actor Sarah Smuts-Kennedy. It features one of the final movie appearances of legendary NZ actor/musician Bruno Lawrence.

Plot summary
eolLuoGXFmVZI0momlg7xDpRNKh.jpg

Jack (Arquette) decides to put an end to the abuse he has received from his adoptive parents, and runs away to find his long lost sibling, Dora (Smuts-Kennedy). Although Dora has fared much better since their abandonment and subsequent adoption, she is also drawn to use her telepathic powers to find him. Along the way, Jack is constantly pursued by the four daughters of his adoptive parents, seeking revenge for their parents demise at the hands of Jack and his invention.

@C.C. 95

NOTC all I could think of was New Kids On The Block the letters didn't match . They all in essence track back in one way or another to Invasion Of The Body Snatchers 1954 .

Thing with Slither was the casting and diolge the lines in that so bang on funny .

Another jem is Stigmata that is creepy . Childs Play too that out and out willies .

Reactions: C.C. 95
LEGION or EXORCIST III
Underrated masterpiece, with terrific acting from Brad Dourif and George C. Scott. I truly believe it was a travesty that Brad Dourif was not nominated for an Oscar for this.
P2240968.jpg

JACK BE NIMBLE
An amazing little New Zealand shocker with (pre-trans) Alexis Arquette, Sarah Smuts-Kennedy and Bruno Lawrence. Has a really cool soundtrack too. Very unique. Almost a Suspiria vibe at times.
View attachment 187295
Jack Be Nimble is a New Zealand gothic horror movie directed by Garth Maxwell, who later described it as "a stylised supernatural tale". The film stars American Alexis Arquette and New Zealand actor Sarah Smuts-Kennedy. It features one of the final movie appearances of legendary NZ actor/musician Bruno Lawrence.

Plot summary
eolLuoGXFmVZI0momlg7xDpRNKh.jpg

Jack (Arquette) decides to put an end to the abuse he has received from his adoptive parents, and runs away to find his long lost sibling, Dora (Smuts-Kennedy). Although Dora has fared much better since their abandonment and subsequent adoption, she is also drawn to use her telepathic powers to find him. Along the way, Jack is constantly pursued by the four daughters of his adoptive parents, seeking revenge for their parents demise at the hands of Jack and his invention.
Exactly what I think about The Exorcist III, it's one of those movies that are easily forgotten because of them being sequels of a classic. I would say the same thing about The Godfather Part III, it's actually a damn great movie even when people often just laugh at it and say "not nearly as good as the first two". Exorcist II doesn't really deserve to be defended though, ugh.

Also did Suzanne Collins actually say that she's never heard of Battle Royale? Wow. :rofl:

Exactly what I think about The Exorcist III, it's one of those movies that are easily forgotten because of them being sequels of a classic. I would say the same thing about The Godfather Part III, it's actually a damn great movie even when people often just laugh at it and say "not nearly as good as the first two". Exorcist II doesn't really deserve to be defended though, ugh.

Also did Suzanne Collins actually say that she's never heard of Battle Royale? Wow. :rofl:

HAVE to agree with you and @C.C. 95 Exorsist 3 I thought was so much better than the other 2 .

Exorsist 1 I'd be out the door quicker than anything . Grab the kid and go . Not go looking with a candelabra in the loft WTF woman RUN .

Exorsist 3 got in your head and well spooked .

Recommend good obscure horror movies here.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 129