How do you organize your movies?

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
This literally bugs the crap out of me. lol

I'm not OCD enough to care about some faint itsy bitsy scratch on a steelbook, but I am OCD enough that I'm not mixing my steels with my regular blu-rays (plastic)

And same goes with Digibooks.

And when you own a lot of movies like me it all becomes a cluster.

When family comes over its extremely hard to tell them where a movie is because of it. (as I'll get a text at work etc.)

So are you just an A-Z person? Or do you have a method to your madness.

At one point in the DVD days I was very big on organizing my Pacino and DeNiro collection. And inbetween them was HEAT and Righteous Kill. I did this as well with my regular blu's but last year I put Pacino in the A-Z. This year I think De Niro will follow suit.

So I basically have this .......

• SteelBooks & Metals : A-Z
    One rack is Marvel, (all, steels, slips etc) - Tarantino Editions - DeNiro Steels and some Premiums.
  • Then I have regular plastic case versions and slips A-Z
  • And at the bottom of this rack is all Horror in a sub section A-Z , Comedies A-Z, Sports Movies A-Z. Westerns A-Z, Which I'm thinking about saying F it and merging those in the above A-Z
  • Then I have Kids movies A-Z , 3D movies, & Digibooks

I guess the most open change I'd do is saying the hell with it on Genre/Categories and merge them. However I find it that most often since I dont do as much back catalog movie watching that when I want to watch a movie from the collection if its not specific where im going straight to a movie in mind that instead I'm looking for a movie based on a mood. And same with our family visitors as it tends that X person wants to watch a "Scary" movie or a "Comedy". So it seemed easier to just be able to direct them to that sub-section.

Am I crazy? Yes. However any advice? Or share how you organize yours. I think when you own a lot of movies it might even be wise to get the A-Z stick out divider tabs at least it makes it easier for fam. Of course I know where my stuff is located ....

This literally bugs the crap out of me. lol

I'm not OCD enough to care about some faint itsy bitsy scratch on a steelbook, but I am OCD enough that I'm not mixing my steels with my regular blu-rays (plastic)

And same goes with Digibooks.

And when you own a lot of movies like me it all becomes a cluster.

When family comes over its extremely hard to tell them where a movie is because of it. (as I'll get a text at work etc.)

So are you just an A-Z person? Or do you have a method to your madness.

At one point in the DVD days I was very big on organizing my Pacino and DeNiro collection. And inbetween them was HEAT and Righteous Kill. I did this as well with my regular blu's but last year I put Pacino in the A-Z. This year I think De Niro will follow suit.

So I basically have this .......

• SteelBooks & Metals : A-Z
    One rack is Marvel, (all, steels, slips etc) - Tarantino Editions - DeNiro Steels and some Premiums.
  • Then I have regular plastic case versions and slips A-Z
  • And at the bottom of this rack is all Horror in a sub section A-Z , Comedies A-Z, Sports Movies A-Z. Westerns A-Z, Which I'm thinking about saying F it and merging those in the above A-Z
  • Then I have Kids movies A-Z , 3D movies, & Digibooks

I guess the most open change I'd do is saying the hell with it on Genre/Categories and merge them. However I find it that most often since I dont do as much back catalog movie watching that when I want to watch a movie from the collection if its not specific where im going straight to a movie in mind that instead I'm looking for a movie based on a mood. And same with our family visitors as it tends that X person wants to watch a "Scary" movie or a "Comedy". So it seemed easier to just be able to direct them to that sub-section.

Am I crazy? Yes. However any advice? Or share how you organize yours. I think when you own a lot of movies it might even be wise to get the A-Z stick out divider tabs at least it makes it easier for fam. Of course I know where my stuff is located ....

You, OCD? Naw, I don't believe it. :p

My films are pretty simple...

- All Marvel Cinematic Universe films together, in order of release
- All X-Men films together, in order of release
- All Digibooks together, in alphabetical order
- All Disney films together, in alphabetical order
- All Pacific Rim releases together, in order of release
- All Guillermo del Toro films together, in order of release (minus Pacific Rim)
- All Kevin Smith 'View Askew' films together, in order of release
- All slipcovers and SteelBooks, in alphabetical order
- All naked amaray releases, in alphabetical order

:thumbs:

Funny you should mention OCD, as I've struggled with it for years, yet it doesn't really affect my collecting for some reason... small scratches on steels don't bother me too much either, and my collection isn't really in any specific order... well, that's actually kind of a lie, as I separate them by studio so all the logos match, but that's about as far as I go with it. It'd drive me crazy trying to keep them in alphabetical order, especially when new items come in and you're constantly having to juggle stuff around.

I don't think it's too unusual to want to keep each type of edition together though... so steelbooks all together, amarays all together, digibooks all together, slipcovers all together etc., which is what I'm sure many of us here do. If I had enough shelf space, then I'd also love to have separate shelves for some of my favourite films/directors... at the moment, the only film I've done that for is Drive (obviously). :D

I keep all the Disney steelbooks and slips/amarays in a different place,other than that everything is a huge mixup as I don't do any specific order to my steelbooks/amarays/slips ,except if it a trilogy or a series of a few movies. As for scratches and dents I wouldn't say I'm OCD, but it really irritates me when I don't get a mint steelbook,but I live with it

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: tridon and Wreck
I keep mine in many large Hefty Bags with P Touch labels on the twist ties that say "Funny", "Scary", "Outer Space", "Elfs & Fairies", "Cartoon", "Not English" and "Serious".
4AC7E76C-2148-40E9-8C11-EF55ACFC6A74.JPG
22455B4C-3230-4F9F-A21B-6F78FE21B036.PNG

:p

For reals:
Alphabetical except series and sequels.
All Bond under B
All Batman under B (so Dark Knight is under B)
10 Cloverfield Lane goes in C With Cloverield, etc.
I do not go by Brand (Nova, Blufans, etc.) that would be Bedlam.:rofl:
A pretty strict Alphabetical except with series and sequels.

Last edited:
I keep everything separated by format. Blu ray, DVD, & Steelbook have their own sections.
But when I have a film where I have a Premium Blu ray Slip and a Premium Steelbook of that movie, I make a Hybrid that I keep with the steelbook section. (I use a Steelbook Central S6 Jumbo Case. Fits perfect)
Example:
Blu ray Pan's Labyrinth/ Steelbook Pan's Labyrinth

Blu ray Cabin in The Woods/ Steelbook Cabin in The Woods

I guess generally I have some kind of internal tier list based on how much I value certain films. While I tend to keep labels like Criterion, MoC, Arrow, CJ Ent etc grouped together, I only choose to 'showcase' the ones I like the most. I don't have an unlimited amount of space at all lol so I tend to pack away B tier and under out of view. Which is to say I don't have every Criterion etc together for the sake of unifomity - only my favourites are right at hand when I want them.

I don't alphabetize or go by genre (although I do have a makeshift ROMANCE section for some reason lol) I go by 'feel'. Somewhere internally I connect movies to each other... someone might wonder why I'd think to put Synecdoche, New York next to Rain Man or Millenium Mambo (DVD... though I usually try to seperate formats at least!) next to Goodbye, Dragon Inn but somehow to me... I know this is where they need to go. :rofl:

I am thinking of adding some new furniture though to be able to get more out in the open. Also to display some new statues otherwise they're gonna be in boxes forever. I have way too many boxes.

... I ******* hate boxes. :confused::LOL:

I just store them all in those paper storage boxes in the attic but organized. So all Arrow release are together etc. Then the rest are sorted into genres. DVD are stored separately from the blu-rays. The laserdiscs are stored in professional wooden boxes which I get from Covers 33 the same boxes I use for my LP's. Someday I'll get the same professional storage boxes for my blu-rays and DVDs. Later in the year..... MY steelbooks are stored together away from the rest of the herd in those protective sleeves from steelbook central and in the same paper storage boxes.

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon
Given the opportunity to have a room to have them again, I'd have them in release date order personally

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
Given the opportunity to have a room to have them again, I'd have them in release date order personally
Would love to organise mine that way... would be a slog searching all the release years for almost 2000 films though. Maybe some day!

For reals:
Alphabetical except series and sequels.
All Bond under B
All Batman under B (so Dark Knight is under B)
10 Cloverfield Lane goes in C With Cloverield, etc.
I do not go by Brand (Nova, Blufans, etc.) that would be Bedlam.:rofl:
A pretty strict Alphabetical except with series and sequels.
What do you do for titles with "A" or "The"? Do you have them under A and T, respectively?

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon and C.C. 95
Ignore the A and the THE.
All films starting with numbers come before Alphabetical (unless the number in the title is SPELLED, e.g. - SEVEN)
Fair enough.
I'm thinking of stealing some ideas off you guys here. Right now, i have them by genre but i also have just collections around (like studio ghibli, marvel, dc, or premium collections.) But i've been thinking of a proper way to arrange them. I'm thinking either alphabetically or release date. Don't know which one works better...:dunno:

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon and C.C. 95
Fair enough.
I'm thinking of stealing some ideas off you guys here. Right now, i have them by genre but i also have just collections around (like studio ghibli, marvel, dc, or premium collections.) But i've been thinking of a proper way to arrange them. I'm thinking either alphabetically or release date. Don't know which one works better...:dunno:
Its all personal preference.
You can go mad thinking of the options- sure, it would be cool to go by company, genre, etc.
But Alphabetical cuts that "endless options" quandry to a simply and easily solution...(for me, anyway)

I employ both the alphabetic and themed styles.

Series like James Bond, Marvel Universe, Planet of the Apes, Alien/Predator Universe, Universal Monster Classics, Hammer Horror. Zombie Flicks. The only actors whose movies I keep together because of the actor is Clint Eastwood and Tom Cruise. Aside from those, everything else is alphabetical.

Regarding format, I keep my steels seperate from my digibooks seperate from my amrays seperate from my dvds.

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon
What do you do for titles with "A" or "The"? Do you have them under A and T, respectively?

I always ignore 'The' and 'A' (example: The Fifth Element is under 'F').

Ignore the A and the THE.
All films starting with numbers come before Alphabetical (unless the number in the title is SPELLED, e.g. - SEVEN)

I organize mine the exact same way.