How Many SteelBooks Do You Own? Post pics of collection / last acquired!

How Many Steelbooks Do You Own?

• 0-50

Votes: 229 12.0%
  • 50-100

Votes: 549 28.8%
  • 100-200

Votes: 419 22.0%
  • 200-300

Votes: 239 12.6%
  • 300-500

Votes: 163 8.6%
  • 500-1000

Votes: 134 7.0%
  • 1000-1500

Votes: 79 4.1%
  • 1500-2000

Votes: 48 2.5%
  • 2000+

Votes: 44 2.3%

• Total voters
Jan 30, 2009
England
This particular thread is to showcase new and recent additions to your collection and showcasing your entire collection.

In order to allow for smooth scrolling and loading, on multiple types of devices, we're asking our community to work with us to do the following:
1. Please try and resize your pictures prior to posting them as it helps the loading times for you and your fellow collectors.
2. You might want to consider posting your pics in the dedicated media section found HERE where you will be able to take advantage of the amount of filters, resizing, and other features if you use that interface.
3. Please use spoiler tags when posting more than one picture of the same steelbook.
4. If you receive more than one steelbook, please take a group shot, not a picture from every single steel.
5. If you receive more than a single copy of one steel, post pictures of a SINGLE copy please. If they are for a group buy, then those pictures should be posted in the group buy thread and NOT in this thread.
6. If you wish to show multiple steelbooks from different angles, please use spoiler tags.

Note:
This thread is for your last movie SteelBook. If it's another kind please use the proper thread below:
Last Viva Metal Box You Purchased?
Last Ironpack/MetalPak/Tin You Purchased?
Last Video game SteelBook Acquired?
Last Blu-ray Special Edition Purchased?

Attachments

• 20170421_140027.jpg
    20170421_140027.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 111,617
Last edited by a moderator:
Another recent one, StudioCanal rerelease of Fifth Element but with a new transfer (see comments at the end of this post):

Fifth Element_1_reduced.jpg

The backside of the j card:

Fifth Element_2_reduced.jpg

Some people have expressed dissatisfaction with the cover. I'm not sure where that comes from but this is a stunning steelbook:

Fifth Element_3_reduced.jpg

A closer look at the amazing reflective finish and art:

Fifth Element_4_reduced.jpg

The art was drawn by someone who really loves and understands the movie - look at this amazing detail that's just kind of hidden off to the top right of the front of the steelbook:

Fifth Element_5_reduced.jpg

Backside is nice, but pretty plain in comparison to the front:

Fifth Element_6_reduced.jpg

My pic is a little blurry but it's a pic of a spine so I'm not sure anyone cares:

Fifth Element_7_reduced.jpg

The interior - disappointing - I would have much rather the last interior with Leeloo standing on the building ledge:

Fifth Element_8_reduced.jpg

And since I really enjoy this movie, as a bonus here's a comparison of the Sony disc versus this new StudioCanal transfer:

SC
The copious amounts of grain tell me this hasn't been messed with so likely represents how it looked in the theater.
In motion, the picture doesn't look soft; rather, very film like.
I'm still not on board with the coloring but it looks ok as long as you're not comparing to the Sony disc and colors do pop.
Audio track seems to have been transferred flat and sounds very natural.

Sony
I don't really have any issues with the cleanup and sharpening; Sony doesn't go overboard - the picture still looks good but does lose that film quality.
I prefer the darker more natural Sony colors.
The audio track has been treble boosted to give the appearance of enhanced detail. Like the video change, Sony hasn't gone overboard and has exercised restraint.

Ultimately, the SC is the superior disc if you want it as the director intended, but Sony's tweaks were implemented with restraint and the Sony disc still looks and sounds excellent. I can live with either.

Another more recent one. Missed out on this originally, but got lucky on a recent restock of the rerelease of this steelbook:

BatmanBegins_1_reduced.jpg

Back of the j card:

BatmanBegins_6_reduced.jpg

Very nice matte finish which has the advantage of deemphasizing the orange in the top part which always looked out of place to me given the rest of the subdued colors (the initial glossy release was too orange for my tastes). On the downside, it picks up dust like crazy and I'm still not sure I love the pic they used:

BatmanBegins_2_reduced.jpg

I actually really like the back image - reminds me a little of the art used for the HDZeta release - and I would have preferred it on the front:

BatmanBegins_3_reduced.jpg

Spine is super clean but pretty boring at the same time:

BatmanBegins_4_reduced.jpg

So this rerelease comes on two discs so that the movie encode has more room to "breathe". Haven't bothered watching it since I've got the 4k. The inside is ok I guess - I think a variant of this art was used for the front of another steelbook release - but would have much rather had the bad guys like scarecrow featured here:

BatmanBegins_5_reduced.jpg

For a guy who warned you that I would have a lot of older releases, I sure am posting a lot of current releases ;)

This one is still on sale for practically nothing at Zavvi so if you like the movie, there's really no excuse not to pick it up - plus there's so little anime steelbooks - Ninja Scroll:

NinjaScroll_1_reduced.jpg

Back of the j card:

NinjaScroll_2_reduced.jpg

I really like the art and the placement of the logo - as you can tell from past comments - I'm ok with busy steelbooks if done right - but not sure how I feel about the satin finish (don't get me wrong, it looks really good but I wonder if gloss would have been the way to go as it doesn't pop like I expected from the mockups):

NinjaScroll_3_reduced.jpg

More nice art on the back - a lot of tlc went into this steelbook:

NinjaScroll_4_reduced.jpg

Spine is a trainwreck - they tried to squeeze the logo onto the spine without modification (it looks super tiny) or adding anything (at least throw in the Manga logo up top and blu ray logo at the bottom):

NinjaScroll_5_reduced.jpg

Inside is more art and a very nice picturebook (not sure where that random slashing effect is coming from - plus I thought Europe generally was fine with tits??? Or is that ok in mainland Europe but not the UK?):

NinjaScroll_6_reduced.jpg

A solid release for a very fun movie and at a giveaway price - not sure you can go wrong (unless you're a spine person).

For a guy who warned you that I would have a lot of older releases, I sure am posting a lot of current releases ;)

This one is still on sale for practically nothing at Zavvi so if you like the movie, there's really no excuse not to pick it up - plus there's so little anime steelbooks - Ninja Scroll:

View attachment 486915

Back of the j card:

View attachment 486916

I really like the art and the placement of the logo - as you can tell from past comments - I'm ok with busy steelbooks if done right - but not sure how I feel about the satin finish (don't get me wrong, it looks really good but I wonder if gloss would have been the way to go as it doesn't pop like I expected from the mockups):

View attachment 486917

More nice art on the back - a lot of tlc went into this steelbook:

View attachment 486918

Spine is a trainwreck - they tried to squeeze the logo onto the spine without modification (it looks super tiny) or adding anything (at least throw in the Manga logo up top and blu ray logo at the bottom):

View attachment 486919

Inside is more art and a very nice picturebook (not sure where that random slashing effect is coming from - plus I thought Europe generally was fine with tits??? Or is that ok in mainland Europe but not the UK?):

View attachment 486920

A solid release for a very fun movie and at a giveaway price - not sure you can go wrong (unless you're a spine person).
Ninja Scoll is one of my favorites. f#cking love this movie.

Last edited: