"I didn't come here to get a makeover" - IRON MAN's Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets Collection

IRON MAN

E.D.I.T.H.
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere
We don't have an award for this one and I'm not so sure many would request to have one but I wanted to share my collection with you folks.

I personally loved the movie and think it was hugely underrated.

Give a "thanks, thumbs up, etc..." if you like what you see. :) Feel free to tag members who liked the movie.

IMG_2546.jpgIMG_2549.jpgIMG_2550.jpgIMG_2551.jpgIMG_2552.jpg
IMG_2554.jpgIMG_2555.jpgIMG_2556.jpgIMG_2557.jpgIMG_2559.jpg

More pics HERE and HERE

Last edited:
My first brush with Valerian and Laureline was a few decades ago when the first few of comics albums by Christin and Mézières were published locally.

Simply loved them and it always felt like a major event when another album was published (could be a year or two between albums).

So I couldn't help but have quite high expectations for this film :D

The film is a stunningly beautiful visual feast with rich, detailed and diverse environments (much like the comics), but for me, DeHaan and Delevigne didn't quite measure up as Valerian and Laureline. Too young and they lacked the warmth of the characters that is evident from the comics.

But what do I know; maybe the main characters are portrayed exactly as Besson wanted :LOL:

For a film based on a book or comics, it can be tough to meet the internal "model" borne from the original work of art. I usually can judge a film by its own merits, separate from its origins, but didn't quite manage it with Valerian. Hey, I even enjoyed the first Jack Reacher film a lot (haven't seen the second one), even though Tom Cruise is nothing like Jack Reacher in Lee Child's JR books (I've read them all).

I will give this film another chance at some point, though. Saw it just once at the cinema.

Brilliant collection, @Apollon ! :thumbs: I bet you have most (if not all) of the slip cover releases :);)

My first brush with Valerian and Laureline was a few decades ago when the first few of comics albums by Christin and Mézières were published locally.

Simply loved them and it always felt like a major event when another album was published (could be a year or two between albums).

So I couldn't help but have quite high expectations for this film :D

The film is a stunningly beautiful visual feast with rich, detailed and diverse environments (much like the comics), but for me, DeHaan and Delevigne didn't quite measure up as Valerian and Laureline. Too young and they lacked the warmth of the characters that is evident from the comics.

But what do I know; maybe the main characters are portrayed exactly as Besson wanted :LOL:

For a film based on a book or comics, it can be tough to meet the internal "model" borne from the original work of art. I usually can judge a film by its own merits, separate from its origins, but didn't quite manage it with Valerian. Hey, I even enjoyed the first Jack Reacher film a lot (haven't seen the second one), even though Tom Cruise is nothing like Jack Reacher in Lee Child's JR books (I've read them all).

I will give this film another chance at some point, though. Saw it just once at the cinema.

Brilliant collection, @Apollon ! :thumbs: I bet you have most (if not all) of the slip cover releases :);)

I totally get where you're coming from, but personally, as you already mentioned about yourself, I never go to a movie that's based/inspired on a book/comic etc... and compare it to the source material. I look at each as its own separate art and I'm never disappointed. :)

That being said, I went in with low expectations specifically when it comes to Cara and Dane and whether they'll be able to pull it off and from my perspective they did and I had a blast!*

Thanks! I do have most indeed. I didn't get the remaining couple for 2 reasons: the artwork is the same as what I already have so buying the same artwork just because the slip is from a different country didn't matter to me. And I didn't get the steelbook that was released in the Benelux area because I didn't like the drawn artwork, although I may change my mind and get one later. :)

*Because 15 copies and counting of the same movie aren't a clear enough sign :LOL:

I totally get where you're coming from, but personally, as you already mentioned about yourself, I never go to a movie that's based/inspired on a book/comic etc... and compare it to the source material. I look at each as its own separate art and I'm never disappointed. :)
That's exactly the right way to go about it :thumbs: I enjoyed the film a lot, but I guess Valerian and Laureline are too deeply ingrained into my neural pathways - my loss.

Wanted more.jpg

Reactions: IRON MAN
Great collection! I wasn't a big fan of the film (didn't hate it though), but looking at your pics there honestly isn't a single bad looking edition IMO... they all look really nice. :D

great collection, impressive! :thumbs: :notworthy: there's something quite lovely about the stark white theme for almost everything. i think this is my fave - which one is this?:
Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 23.48.35.png

although for a film with so much colour, i'd be interested to see a non-white, really colourful approach to a slip as well.

i really like the film, although i agree with some of what @Ranavalone said above. i haven't read the source material, so i had no other viewpoints prior to watching. i was coming off seeing DeHaan in A Cure for Wellness (which i loved), but for some reason i thought he was too young for the character as written, likewise Delevigne. really could have done without Rihanna.

but what i will say is that it's one of the best films i've seen in years for multiple ideas being thrown at the screen every minute. there's no down-time at any point and visually it was phenomenal. i have mentioned it to a lot of people. haven't picked up a copy yet, but may still do so when the right combo appeals...

looks like i should have picked up that one i like above after all. :rolleyes: :thumbs:

giphy.gif

great collection, impressive! :thumbs::notworthy: there's something quite lovely about the stark white theme for almost everything. i think this is my fave - which one is this?:
View attachment 389883
although for a film with so much colour, i'd be interested to see a non-white, really colourful approach to a slip as well.

i really like the film, although i agree with some of what @Ranavalone said above. i haven't read the source material, so i had no other viewpoints prior to watching. i was coming off seeing DeHaan in A Cure for Wellness (which i loved), but for some reason i thought he was too young for the character as written, likewise Delevigne. really could have done without Rihanna.

but what i will say is that it's one of the best films i've seen in years for multiple ideas being thrown at the screen every minute. there's no down-time at any point and visually it was phenomenal. i have mentioned it to a lot of people. haven't picked up a copy yet, but may still do so when the right combo appeals...

looks like i should have picked up that one i like above after all. :rolleyes::thumbs:

giphy.gif

Thanks! :)

That's the Full Slip from Novamedia. Thread HERE. In stock :naughty:

Reactions: steelmybeatingheart